Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not get to see him much of the McDonalds game but I think if we can sign a PF and resign Robinson, I would gamble on a player that could be the next T-Mac.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
58,028 Posts
rapsfan4life said:
There are some clips off of our Raptors board. I'm about to check them out myself.

At 17th, I think we could still pick him up even if we made the playoffs.

-Petey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Gerald can end up as one of the top shooting guards in the league in a couple of years. i dont think the nets wnat to wati that long especially for a guy that would have to fihgt for PT with RJ and VC. The nets need help in the front court, still recovering from the departure of kmart and that where i hope the nets would focus on. i really like brandon bass, charlie V and hakim W,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,498 Posts
Although this kid might turn out to be something great. He is not what we are looking for. We have two relatively young Sg's in Carter and RJ. We need a big man.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,719 Posts
tr_west said:
Although this kid might turn out to be something great. He is not what we are looking for. We have two relatively young Sg's in Carter and RJ. We need a big man.
I'd actually be in favor of drafting a swing man who can develop behind Carter and RJ, starting off as an 11-12th man, and eventually working his way into the rotation. Garcia could be good for that.

Don't know much about this guy, though. Will check out the clips later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
The kid looks pretty good, but I don't share the same views as others. I'd rate a Josh Smith higher than this kid. Maybe similiar to a JR Smith. Good shooter, good athlete, but not an elite one.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,964 Posts
IF....a huge IF Thorn can get knowledge that a PF or 2 will sign for MLE type money, then yea you go after Green, but right now, it's really too much of a gamble with going the direction of Kidd. If Thorn thinks Green can come in and be the 1st wing off the bench immediately then I'd do it. But I'd drop a line on player agents and try to gather info on the chances of what PF's will come here. If there's a good response, then I'd move on Green.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,660 Posts
If we do get a big time 4 in FA (and I cant imagine how we would), and decide to take a shot on a wing prospect, I would much prefer Nemanja Aleksandrov. He may be a little out of our range though. And I've heard some buzz he may not delcare.

Definately don't want Garcia. He has nowhere near enough speed to handle the NBA game. Very similar to former Louisville star Reece Gaines.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
685 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the "best player available" draft strategy. If the Nets braintrust decide he easily fits the bill, I'm okay with it. However, I think there is a big risk the Nets will be unable to get a quality starting PF via free agency or trades. Worst case we could then go with Krstic/Collins/Robinson for another year and hope the 2006 draft has a PF for us.

Having said all that, I still think Thorn/Stefanski will draft a PF this year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,166 Posts
The impressive thing about these clips is that they show a fundamentally sound player, not just an athlete. I agree with Schubee that if a great young player presents himself on draft night, go for it. He is more impressive than the young centers of 2001, who were very athletic but couldn't do much.

The secret of building a dynasty is having the luxury of developing players who can replace your stars.

All that said, the Nets almost always go for players who fill a need, sometimes to a fault. Picking Samake in the second round in 2000 was a classic example. Redd, Najera, House, Cardinal were all taken later.

The only time the Nets abandoned that was in 2002 when they took Krstic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think if we can get someone like SAR, I think we'd be able to use "best player available" strategy.

PF-Sar(or any PF)/Cliff
C-Krstic/Collins

That would be solid IMO, even though I really do want to draft Charlie Villanueva.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,128 Posts
NetIncome said:
The impressive thing about these clips is that they show a fundamentally sound player, not just an athlete. I agree with Schubee that if a great young player presents himself on draft night, go for it. He is more impressive than the young centers of 2001, who were very athletic but couldn't do much.

The secret of building a dynasty is having the luxury of developing players who can replace your stars.
All that said, the Nets almost always go for players who fill a need, sometimes to a fault. Picking Samake in the second round in 2000 was a classic example. Redd, Najera, House, Cardinal were all taken later.

The only time the Nets abandoned that was in 2002 when they took Krstic.
****ing Excellent Point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
685 Posts
NJ Grand NJ said:
I think if we can get someone like SAR, I think we'd be able to use "best player available" strategy.

PF-Sar(or any PF)/Cliff
C-Krstic/Collins

That would be solid IMO, even though I really do want to draft Charlie Villanueva.
Unfortunately the free agency period takes place after the draft.
 

·
just foul
Joined
·
6,913 Posts
Even if the Nets are confident they could sign a PF like SAR, I think the Nets still go with the best quality big man available (who I would consider to be - if available: Bogut, Martynas, Splitter, Taft, Vazquez, Nemanja, Bargnani, Villanueva, and Petro).

I think Gerald Green may have more potential than some of those mentioned, but as the Nets are on the cusp of a championship run, I think sacrificing some potential for need here is the right move.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,541 Posts
SeaNet said:
****ing Excellent Point.
Before we can build a dynasty, we need to win a championship. And drafting a project SG right now is not going to win us a championship. Let's get a good PF this draft, win the championship and then get a young SG or whatever you want in next years draft with the Clippers pick. We cannot afford making a best player available pick this year. We need a big man.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,897 Posts
RebelSun said:
Even if the Nets are confident they could sign a PF like SAR, I think the Nets still go with the best quality big man available (who I would consider to be - if available: Bogut, Martynas, Splitter, Taft, Vazquez, Nemanja, Bargnani, Villanueva, and Petro).

I think Gerald Green may have more potential than some of those mentioned, but as the Nets are on the cusp of a championship run, I think sacrificing some potential for need here is the right move.
And what about Shelden Williams?
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top