Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should Nash just go ahead and attempt to sign Sheed - with the understanding that he will be the starting Center for this team?

Sure, Sheed doesn't match-up well against Shaq, but who does? And, that said, there sure doesn't seem to be many other Centers in the WC - in the whole league, for that matter - that he couldn't, at least, hold his own against.

So, why not just go ahead and re-sign the guy? He's been on his best behavior these days - showing no signs of reverting back to his Jail Blazers ways....

I'm not so sure I buy into the rumors that he's already scoffed at Nash's offerings of a 3-year contract of $10 mil per year. I'm in agreement with others that say Sheed is very content to play in Portland and will look to, perhaps, end his career here.

It seems like the experiment of Sheed at Center and Miles starting at the 3 seems to be working, overall. I'm hopeful that it will continue to be that way, and that the Blazers sign both players.

Of course, the jury's still out on that notion, and we'll have to continue to see how that all plays out. For now, though, I like the idea of retaining Sheed - short of a blockbuster deal highly in the favor of the Blazers - which, quite frankly, I just don't see materializing.

Sheed as our Center sets very well with me right now. I'm anticipating the concept becoming permanent. Dale Davis will just need to deal with sliding into a backup role. :yes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,714 Posts
I would be, but there are going to be games that he is going to get beat up. My only fear is that he might get hurt playing the role of center with more physical contact with other bigmen.

I like the line up of Wallace, Randolph, Miles, Anderson, and Stoudamire. The front court is long and lean even with Randolph plugging away at power forward. Wallace and Miles can help with his defense. It just works for me. :yes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
I would like to see Sheed here the next seasons too, but would Rasheed really accepting his Center-Role for the next couple of years? I'm not sure about this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,562 Posts
I think sheed is better suited playing Center then SF, but i think he will soon start bickering about playing out of postion, gaurding bigger guys who avereage more rebs then points.... people that will gaurd him , well that wont matter u cant gaurd sheed. Im kind of worried about big teams where Zach will have to gaurd some Pf all star if the Center is also a All Star.

Thats why i kind of want the Gs deal done, we get a All Star Center who is averaging the most double doubles in the NBA right now and a real PG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,207 Posts
yES

Yes, Wallace was a center in college, and the further the Pro game took him away from the hoop, the more it hurt his game. I think he would be a solid center, and knowing how a lot of NBA players start to "Put on a little weight" as they get older, I think it is a natural evolution for him.
 

·
Top Of The Pops
Joined
·
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BlazerFanFoLife</b>!
I think sheed is better suited playing Center then SF, but i think he will soon start bickering about playing out of postion, gaurding bigger guys who avereage more rebs then points....
Wallace would (or should) still guard the better front court player on the opposing team. If they were playing San Antonio, Wallace had better still guard Duncan, no matter what position he's playing and leave Nesterovic to Randolph. Even though that's a size mismatch, it's much better than Randolph getting torched by Duncan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
Sheed has an incredible post up game if he'd ever get back to playing that way.He's better than the majority of centers in this league if he'd just get back to playing down low.Shaq and his fat butt is the only problem.So against Shaq,Sheed could play his outside sf game rather than banging with the beast.I don't think Sheed would get beat up and I don't think he's afraid to bang with the big boys because he is a pretty big dude himself.I think if he worries about it at all it's because getting bruised down on the block and not getting the whistles sucks and also because it probaly effects his shooting after awhile picking up all them bruises.He's obviously not a banger but neither was a Kevin McHale.Sheed could prolly bang more than big Kevin though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
285 Posts
I would be happy to have Wallace man the center position for Portland the next 5 years. I think Wallace is much more suited to play center than sf. He can still post up any big man in the league, yet can also take them outside if that's what needed of him.

Wallace got about 5 good years left in him. Sign him to a 5 year, 42mil deal, with the last year being a team option and I'm happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,137 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BlazerFanFoLife</b>!
Im kind of worried about big teams where Zach will have to gaurd some Pf all star if the Center is also a All Star.
Like who? I can't really think of a team that you could say this about - the closest I can come up with would be LA, but Karl Malone isn't that dangerous anymore...

The best offensive PF/C tandem that I can think of would actually be Zach and Sheed themselves. Can anyone think of a more dangerous pair of bigmen?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,878 Posts
I think there were many posters on this site who had wanted Sheed to play at center this past summer nad fall. Its just took 43 games or so fo Mo to listen to you all.... so far so good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,137 Posts
I suppose if Webber could ever stay healthy, he and Miller would be a tough tandem to match up with defensively...

But I'd rather see Sheed on Webber, Zach on Miller and Miles on Peja than seeing, Sheed on Webber, Davis on Miller and Zach on Peja...

Also worth considering, Zach may never be a premiere defender, but I can't imagine that he won't improve as he goes along.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,949 Posts
Yes, but Sheed will take his beatings like HOWIE said. Remember what Dampier did to him last week? Then again, Dampier has been doin that to everyone lately.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by <b>NathanLane</b>!
Yes, but Sheed will take his beatings like HOWIE said.......
Just think if Sheed got his butt into some solid, power weight training over this coming summer....

Wishful thinking? Can it be mandated as part of a new contract? Hmmmm.....with as much power/rules as the players union has, probably not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,509 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Flaming Homer</b>!
I would like to see Sheed here the next seasons too, but would Rasheed really accepting his Center-Role for the next couple of years? I'm not sure about this.
I think he would. He's never been one to complain about playing time. He was perfectly happy coming off the bench when Brian Grant was here.

And even if he was unhappy, it's not like he'd go to the press and complain.

Rasheed: Hey Jason Quick...do you have a minute to interview me? I've got a few things I'd like to talk about.
 

·
Player Salary Geek
Joined
·
4,380 Posts
I think this thread is leading us to the big question - would Wallace be OK (long term) at the 5?

Sheed and Zach can, IMO, take care of the C and PF positions against nearly everyone. Sheed historically has even done well when guarding Shaq.

But the big issue is - does Sheed want to play center most of his time on the floor? Or does he envision going elsewhere and playing PF? This is the $64,000 question.
 

·
Top Of The Pops
Joined
·
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>So Cal Blazer Fan</b>!

But the big issue is - does Sheed want to play center most of his time on the floor? Or does he envision going elsewhere and playing PF? This is the $64,000 question.
Well, cash is always a consideration. If the Blazers offered him $10-11 million per year, do you think there are teams that both can and will equal/better that?
 

·
mere fan
Joined
·
6,553 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BlazerFanFoLife</b>!
I think sheed is better suited playing Center then SF, but i think he will soon start bickering about playing out of postion, gaurding bigger guys who avereage more rebs then points.
I'm not sure that I've ever heard of Sheed complaining about his role to the coaches... it may happen all the time, but we never hear about it. I'm not sure what exactly you're going on here.

I think a team needs at least 3 quality bigs to man the 96 minutes at the 4 and 5 post spots. I'm fine with Sheed and Zach taking 70 of those, it's the other 26 that I'm worried about. An ideal 3rd guy would be a talented true center one size larger then Wallace. As long as I'm making a wish list, I'd like him to be all about defense, rebounding, setting picks, and banging inside... that would be nice.

STOMP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,509 Posts
Originally posted by <b>So Cal Blazer Fan</b>!
I think this thread is leading us to the big question - would Wallace be OK (long term) at the 5?

Sheed and Zach can, IMO, take care of the C and PF positions against nearly everyone. Sheed historically has even done well when guarding Shaq.

But the big issue is - does Sheed want to play center most of his time on the floor? Or does he envision going elsewhere and playing PF? This is the $64,000 question.
Another question is whether anyone who can afford to sign him, actually would sign him to play PF.

If his choice is to play out of position for the Clippers (Brand at PF) or for Denver (Nene at PF) or for us (Zach at PF)...I bet he'd stick with us. Which other teams could afford to sign him? I really don't follow which teams will be under the cap and which won't, but it seems like his options of signing and playing PF are fairly slim.

I think Wallace will stick around and play some 3 some 4 and some 5 for us next year.
 

·
mere fan
Joined
·
6,553 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Fork</b>!


Another question is whether anyone who can afford to sign him, actually would sign him to play PF.

If his choice is to play out of position for the Clippers (Brand at PF) or for Denver (Nene at PF) or for us (Zach at PF)...I bet he'd stick with us. Which other teams could afford to sign him? I really don't follow which teams will be under the cap and which won't, but it seems like his options of signing and playing PF are fairly slim.
The Spurs could if they don't go resign Manu... Duncan, Sheed, and Rasha would be a pretty decent frontcourt rotation eh?

STOMP
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top