Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They showed a statistic on TNT in the Wolves-Wizards game where he has played around the same amount of minutes in his career as guys like Dikembe Mutombo, Cliff Robinson, Gary Payton, etc. There were a few more names, but I can't remember who they were, but they were all 35+ years old. Garnett is only 29. When you think about it, it makes plenty of sense. Over a decade of playing 40 minutes per game for 80 games per season without injuries will do that. He has a lot of miles on him and I wonder if he'll slow down earlier than usual because of it? Pretty amazing.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Personally I think he could play til he's in his late 30s.

Considering he isn't carrying alot weight(like Shaq for example) and been pretty damn healthy throughout career. Also while he plays hell of alot of minutes he doesn't "bang"...

..I see no reason (outside of that knee) why couldn't be this genrations Karl Malone. Play at this level or close to it until he's about 34 then have a slow decline where he isn't as athletic but damn productive.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Garnett's absurdly good. That he's also durable and has great endurance is a bit unfair. The very definition of a franchise player.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
almost a triple double... 25points 13 reb 9assists... he also said that hes not gonna change teams.. hes twolves for good...

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
I looked it up, and he's coming up on 30,000 minutes played. He's not that close to GP (over 43K) or Cliffy (about 40K). But he is close to Mutombo and Shaq (both around 33K). Still a lot, especially for a 29 year old.

Another thing that's amazing, is that he's played just over half of Kareems total minutes (57,446). :eek:

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Also, Arenas is the underhyped version of Dwyane Wade.

While we're on the subject of great talents and the Minnesota-Washington game.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
well he started right out of high school so you gotta factor that into it. if he played into his 40s, he will shatter the record for most minutes played easily

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Most durable player in the league and it's not even close. He's having another fantastic season.

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
DuMa said:
well he started right out of high school so you gotta factor that into it. if he played into his 40s, he will shatter the record for most minutes played easily
:eek8: 40s?! try mid to late 30s.

·
Heat fan since 2001
7,145 Posts
but Wade is a better defender and more effecient.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Hard not to respect KG and all he has accomplished. Durability has been incredible. He has missed 13 games in 10 years. Wow.

MiamiHeat03 said:
but Wade is a better defender and more effecient.
:laugh:

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
KG has time and again proven himself to be a very hardworking and dependable all-star. Its amazing how healthy he has remained considering all the minutes he has been playing in the league. Hope he continues to stay out of injury and he continues his great game. He is truly an awesome player. No matter what team you are a fan of, you gotta admit that he is a spectacular player and any team would love to have him in their team. :clap:

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I'm pretty sure KG has had a lot of other injuries but he's just not the kind of guy that makes excuses.

Gotta really respect that.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
mjm1 said:
:eek8: 40s?! try mid to late 30s.
if OLD MAN WILLIS could do it at 42, then i dont see why KG cant at 41 or 42.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
DuMa said:
if OLD MAN WILLIS could do it at 42, then i dont see why KG cant at 41 or 42.
But then again, Willis came into the league at around 22 or 23 and a lot of those years he really didn't play starter minutes. As a matter of fact he hasnt played a full season in a long time. I don't ever see KG deteriorating to a point where he'll only be playing 5-8 minutes a game. He'll probably retire before he ever becomes a bench warmer.

·
_(ツ)_ส้้้้&#3
28,008 Posts
Minstrel said:
Also, Arenas is the underhyped version of Dwyane Wade.
Who can shoot.

I love that guy.

And Garnett's durability is almost unparalleled by today's players. Especially among the franchise stars and even more especially the franchise big men.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts