Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Will be an interesting and potentially disruptive couple of weeks here relative to college sports. We’re starting to see things shut down again. The mayor of Chicago basically canceled Thanksgiving. How much of that will bleed over and jeopardize the season? Still a meaningful probability that it doesn’t really get off the ground.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will be an interesting and potentially disruptive couple of weeks here relative to college sports. We’re starting to see things shut down again. The mayor of Chicago basically canceled Thanksgiving. How much of that will bleed over and jeopardize the season? Still a meaningful probability that it doesn’t really get off the ground.
I realize there are much greater concerns than my need to have enjoyment from watching college basketball but I need to have some enjoyment from watching college basketball.

Tufts has told the students there (and there have been barely any cases on campus) that they need to pack up their things in boxes within their dorm rooms prior to leaving campus after finals in December just in case the next semester is deemed to only be remote. If that happens I am going to see if my daughter and her friends want to rent an airbnb near campus for 4 or 5 months. Sitting at our kitchen table this next semester would not be a positive experience for any of us.

·
Registered
618 Posts
What do you mean the mayor of Chicago “basically cancelled Thanksgiving?” Hasn’t thanksgiving been cancelled for the last eight months? Last I saw Mayor Lightfoot was threatening to sue Gov Pritzker if he went ahead with a proposal to shutdown indoor bars and restaurants again (not sure where that went). Illinois has been reporting 12,000+ cases daily for the last ten days. I would definitely not categorize lightfoot as a Corona bulldog.

If people were actually thinking they could travel and see family, parents, in-laws etc to have thanksgiving with well.... then god help us. No Wonder we haven’t gotten this thing under control yet. Jfc. No, thanksgiving is with your immediate household and Zoom with relatives.

Now, regarding the Ivy League I feel like this is more about messaging than anything else. they already said no sports til January 1st, did they not? But then the entire yale men’s hockey team contracted covid. How does a team catch Corona together at practice is sports are supposed to be suspending? This is more day than it is action so they can try to look down on us. It’s all talk and theyre only talking for political reasons.
That said, don’t go to your frickin in-laws for thanksgiving, wear a mask, and dont go to any bar/restaurant so we can actually salvage some type of college basketball season. It’s as bas as its ever been and if you catch it your just part of the problem.

·
Registered
166 Posts
this is a joke. they did the same thing with football and got it wrong. this is the epitome of virtue signaling. everyone knows 99.99999% college kids have been unaffected by covid.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Maybe, and this is a wild thought, it isn't just about college kids. It is about trying to contain what now seems to be exponential spread and protecting the population at large from something we know very little about the long term impacts on, but the early long hauler data doesn't look good!

·
Registered
603 Posts
My point with the canceling Thanksgiving comment was basically just to say that if we’re heading toward more explicit shutdowns and travel restrictions across the economy and the country again (and it certainly seems that we’re just at the beginning of that trend), at some point people will have to evaluate whether in the grander scheme the Maine/Lowell game or the Vermont/UNH game is an important enough thing to keep on the calendar. The argument becomes harder to make with the curve turning into a perpendicular line.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,761 Posts
Maybe, and this is a wild thought, it isn't just about college kids. It is about trying to contain what now seems to be exponential spread and protecting the population at large from something we know very little about the long term impacts on, but the early long hauler data doesn't look good!
Lockdowns are about not crushing the hospitals with massive patient influx. It isn't the college kids causing the quick spread of the virus. It's Joe public. Kids playing in empty arenas isn't going accelerate the virus spread.

Reactions: benchwarmer

·
Registered
166 Posts
it makes no sense. these athletes are already functioning within society. They are already going to class, hooking up, hanging out, drinking..... who cares if they play basketball against each other in an empty gym? The people most at risk are people who are 65+ with multiple comorbidities. These type of people typically are not associated with college basketball programs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts