Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, check out these facts about Chamberlain's career I found in a book......

Wilt's CAREER average minutes per game is 45.8

Best of the Rest: Nate Archibald was the last person to average 45 minutes per game for ONE season.

Wilt had a streak of 47 consecutive complete games.

Best of the Rest: A.C. Green has 7 CAREER complete games

Wilt had 1,700 or more rebounds for 10 straight seasons.

Best of the Rest: Nobody on the 95-96 NBA roster had ever had more than 1,530 rebounds in one season in their entire career.

Wilt had the top 3 highest scoring games in NBA history.

Best of the Rest: David Robinson is the only other center in the top 35.

Wilt averaged, for his CAREER, 22.9 rebounds per game.

Best of the Rest: Dennis Rodman averaged less than 13 per game for his first ten seasons.

Wilt has 56 NBA regular season records.

Best of the Rest: Michael Jordan has 4

Wilt once got 55 rebounds in one game

Best of the Rest: The 95-96 Bulls had 55 rebounds in a game only twice.

Wilt had 14 games with 40 or more rebounds.

Best of the Rest: No player on the 95-96 NBA roster (the entire league) never had as much as 35 in one game in their career.

*The next two are UNREAL*

Wilt averaged 48.5 minutes per game one season

Best of the Rest: Archibald ranks eighth (46.0 mpg) and is the only one else in the top ten other than Wilt.

Wilt had 50 or more points 45 times in ONE season

Best of the Rest: Jordan has 27 career 50 point games

:eek: That is dominating :eek:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Yes, Wilt has dominating stats, but...

Do you think for a second that he would get 22.9 rebounds a game today?

Do you think he would average 50 ppg in a season today?

He would not.

Hitman

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hitman</b>!
Yes, Wilt has dominating stats, but...

Do you think for a second that he would get 22.9 rebounds a game today?

Do you think he would average 50 ppg in a season today?

He would not.

Hitman
Of course he wouldnt. If you go into history. The NBA changed the rules so that he couldnt be as dominant and his stats went down but he exploited other facets of his game. No greater player in the history of basketball. No other player has had rules changed so they couldnt be as dominant

·
Registered
570 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BEEZ</b>!

Of course he wouldnt. If you go into history. The NBA changed the rules so that he couldnt be as dominant and his stats went down but he exploited other facets of his game. No greater player in the history of basketball. No other player has had rules changed so they couldnt be as dominant
Actually, George Mikan was the first person to change the game. The key was originally 6ft, and his domiance changed it to 10ft. I'm in no way saying he's more dominant than Wilt, just giving him his due. There WAS another player. I also think if Shaq was around back then, they probably would've changed the game. Wilt still deserves credit though for every accomplishment he ever earned. It's not his call how the league was back then, and took advantage. Btw, I believe Wilt has the best FG% of all time as well.

·
Registered
172 Posts
In the Center famined NBA of today, Wilt would've completely dominated the game. No Question.

How many 7 footers do you think could keep up with a guy who was a world class sprinter, had a nearly 4 foot VERTICAL jump, and had above average ability in every facet of the game.

Guy led the league in rebounds one year, scoring another, assists another, blocks another, etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum.

Truly amazing.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Well....

Originally posted by <b>BigMike</b>!

Best of the Rest: No player on the 95-96 NBA roster (the entire league) never had as much as 35 in one game in their career.
accually charles oakley pulled down 35 boards in a game in 88'

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Wilt was a beast. I can't imagine how the heck he managed to score 50ppg . . . or 100 in a game. He is incredible.

His stats with women are even more impressive :D :D

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Imagine Shaq back in Wilts days. He would average 60pts per game and would also average 30RPGs as well as 75%FG.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Part of the reason for Wilt's great numbers was the fact that there were so many more shots put up in his day. The game where he scored 100 points the final score was 162-147 in regulation, the Kings and Mavs couldn't even do that in double overtime. I think he took 63 shots that game, can you imagine a player in the league today taking that many shots? When a guy takes 30 shots he is considered a ball hog. Every team in the league back then played like the Mavs, but were even worse defensively, and the fact that Wilt's athleticism was on the same level as today's athletes made it that much easier for him to dominate the unathletic players of his day. So I'm saying there is no way he would do anything close to the same in today's NBA. His career points and rebound numbers were 30.1 and 22.9, if he played 14 years in the modernd day NBA his numbers would be more like 27 and 15, still dominant but not as unbelievable as his actual numbers.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Originally posted by <b>DaBigTicketKG21</b>!
Imagine Shaq back in Wilts days. He would average 60pts per game and would also average 30RPGs as well as 75%FG.
There is no question in my mind that Shaq would dominate back in Wilt's day but there is also no question that Wilt would dominate in today's league especially the present with the lack of centers. Wilt wasn't just big he was a hell of an athlete. I have always said that he was a cross between Hakeem and Shaq meaning take the power of Shaq and combine that with the finess and defensive prowless of Hakeem and you have Wilt. Shaq will NOT average 60 ppg and 30 rpg in Wilt's era...40 ppg and 20 rpg is more realistic. Wilt today would probably average 31 ppg and 15 rpg. People who say that Wilt had no competition have to check the history books. He played against Russell, Bellamy, Reed, Thurmond, and later in his career even Kareem.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BigChris</b>!
In the Center famined NBA of today, Wilt would've completely dominated the game. No Question.

How many 7 footers do you think could keep up with a guy who was a world class sprinter, had a nearly 4 foot VERTICAL jump, and had above average ability in every facet of the game.

Guy led the league in rebounds one year, scoring another, assists another, blocks another, etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum.

Truly amazing.
there's NO way that wilt had that kind of vert. we're used to vert being measured using power jumps- i could see wilt's vert being around 3 feet but 4 feet is out of the question.

one possibility is that rumor originate from his highjumping; does anyone know if vertical is measured for highjumpers. say that their vert is measured from the height of one's hips to the height they are clearing. even then, 4 feet doesn't sound realistic because wilt could clear 7'2, leaving the top of his hips around 3'2 which is way too low.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
oh yeah, and a 3 foot vert would put his head 2 inches above the rim...has anyone seen any video where he comes remotely close to that?

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BigMike</b>!
Hey, check out these facts about Chamberlain's career I found in a book......

Wilt's CAREER average minutes per game is 45.8

Best of the Rest: Nate Archibald was the last person to average 45 minutes per game for ONE season.

Wilt had a streak of 47 consecutive complete games.

Best of the Rest: A.C. Green has 7 CAREER complete games

Wilt had 1,700 or more rebounds for 10 straight seasons.

Best of the Rest: Nobody on the 95-96 NBA roster had ever had more than 1,530 rebounds in one season in their entire career.

Wilt had the top 3 highest scoring games in NBA history.

Best of the Rest: David Robinson is the only other center in the top 35.

Wilt averaged, for his CAREER, 22.9 rebounds per game.

Best of the Rest: Dennis Rodman averaged less than 13 per game for his first ten seasons.

Wilt has 56 NBA regular season records.

Best of the Rest: Michael Jordan has 4

Wilt once got 55 rebounds in one game

Best of the Rest: The 95-96 Bulls had 55 rebounds in a game only twice.

Wilt had 14 games with 40 or more rebounds.

*The next two are UNREAL*

Wilt averaged 48.5 minutes per game one season

Best of the Rest: Archibald ranks eighth (46.0 mpg) and is the only one else in the top ten other than Wilt.

Wilt had 50 or more points 45 times in ONE season

Best of the Rest: Jordan has 27 career 50 point games

:eek: That is dominating :eek:
Actually MJ has 38 career 50 point games but that includes postseason. Wilt has an amazing 118 50 point games. Also Wilt had a 7 game 50 point consecutive game streak. Kobe has 4 career 50 point games. Arguably the third greatest game in history after Wilt's 100 point game and MJ's 63 against Boston was Wilt's game against the Pistons in 68' where he collected 22 points, 25 rebounds, and 21 assists. I have always said that it is too difficult to compare players in different eras becuz of different factors especially innovation. For example, if it wasn't for Dr.J and MJ today's league might not have so many highflyers and etc. Players like Dr.J and MJ were innovators and ahead of their time. So I have always said that players should be compared on the basis on how they performed against their peers becuz basketball changes and it is unfair to compare due to advances in the game. With that said Wilt is far more ahead of his peers than Shaq ever was.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Originally posted by <b>SkywalkerAC</b>!
oh yeah, and a 3 foot vert would put his head 2 inches above the rim...has anyone seen any video where he comes remotely close to that?
Wilt put on a legendary and widely considered the greatest dunking exhibition ever when he traveled with the Globetrotters. I have been searching for a tape of that for quite some time. With luck I will find one. Rumour has it that Wilt is the only consistent player who can grab a quarter off the top of the backboard and that when he dunked if he jumped his highest his elbows are rim height. True this is hard to believe but remember Wilt was also a heck of a track star and he was a star at long jump. NBA players DO NOT have the highest vertical...often track or volleyball players do. Also 4 feet translates to 48 inches if my math is correct.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Originally posted by <b>TMOD</b>!
???Elbows at rim height has been done many times???
Most people have their head a bit taller than their elbow unless they have long arms. I was just proving the point of having someone's head at rim level.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Originally posted by <b>kcchiefs-fan</b>!
Wilt is without a doubt the best to ever pick up a basketball IMO.
Wilt was most probably the best during the regular season - but you notice that does NOT include the playoffs. Playoff teams in any era are tougher than non-playoff teams and that should tell something about where his focus must have NOT been.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts