Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I am sure the A10 commish has a similar deal in the works.

And exit fees from the A10 will also be increased in the near future also to discourage schools from jumping to other conferences.

·
Banned
335 Posts
This'll end up taking a while and be pretty contentious. I can't imagine Butler nor Creighton, Xavier, etc would ever agree to joining a league under those conditions. But the money is too great for everyone to not come to an accord.

My guess is what you are going to see, ultimately, is the target schools banding together in what amounts to a labor union.

But, Steve, there's no chance of the A10 coming up with something even fractionally as large that's why it's such news.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
If the prospective payout structure is as is being reported, I would love to see the targeted A-10 schools say thanks but no thanks. Unfortunately, I doubt they would remain unified, but it would be interesting if a number of the A-10 schools pulled their own exodus and set-up a new conference bringing in Creighton, Bradley Gonzaga St.Marys etc.

·
Banned
335 Posts
It's not really that big of stretch. The whole thing falls apart if Xavier and Butler are not complicit (think of them like the UAW and the teamsters and the C7 is GM). Everyone else would just then fall inline. They have no alternatives. A group of 7 teams isnt a conference and that reality becomes clearer as the time dwindles away to 7/1/14. cThis is sort of how labor negotiations go. It's funny it's manifesting itself in this context.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
A 12 year deal? Why in the world would they offer a 12 year deal for something as risky as this? I assume there's exit clauses of some kind.

Looking at those teams, it's 1 famous program, 2 decent ones with at least some history, and 4 anchors being dragged along with them. They need marquee programs to join in the worst way, and even then, that's no guarantee of success. I think Xavier and others' negotiating positions are pretty strong in this case and that they could argue for at least a full share. I also think Xavier et al. should be suggesting all kinds of scenarios to Georgetown, Villanova, and Marquette for ways they could escape from some or all of the other 4 also-rans and form a better conference that doesn't need to split money as many ways.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Crazy like a Fox?

The Fox network would be absolutely crazy to pay that much for that many years for an untested league in a new college basketball world.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I am sure the A10 commish has a similar deal in the works.

And exit fees from the A10 will also be increased in the near future also to discourage schools from jumping to other conferences.
To me, sweet irony would be if La Salle or Fordham jumps to the MAAC/Patriot League and had to dole out a $1-$2 million exit fee check to the A-10 office. We can all dream, can't we?

This'll end up taking a while and be pretty contentious. I can't imagine Butler nor Creighton, Xavier, etc would ever agree to joining a league under those conditions. But the money is too great for everyone to not come to an accord.
One thing seems certain - I wouldn't expect an announcement on Butler or Xavier anytime soon if either one of those schools gets scraps at the C-7 table compared to DePaul or Seton Hall. This is the one bargaining chip the A-10 has at keeping Butler and Xavier - they (along with VCU, Dayton, SLU, etc) could be given a similar preferential status as far as future A-10 revenue sharing. Any future A-10 TV contract will still pale in comparison to the C-7, though.

Crazy like a Fox?

The Fox network would be absolutely crazy to pay that much for that many years for an untested league in a new college basketball world.
It tells me just how desperate networks are for "inventory" as it relates to college basketball games (or any sport in general).

·
Registered
134 Posts
A 12 year deal? Why in the world would they offer a 12 year deal for something as risky as this? I assume there's exit clauses of some kind.

Looking at those teams, it's 1 famous program, 2 decent ones with at least some history, and 4 anchors being dragged along with them. They need marquee programs to join in the worst way, and even then, that's no guarantee of success. I think Xavier and others' negotiating positions are pretty strong in this case and that they could argue for at least a full share. I also think Xavier et al. should be suggesting all kinds of scenarios to Georgetown, Villanova, and Marquette for ways they could escape from some or all of the other 4 also-rans and form a better conference that doesn't need to split money as many ways.
Fox Sports doesn't have any inventory. When they re-launch Versus, they're going to need programming. This conference gives them just that. As more of these sports networks pop up (Fox, NBCSN, CBSSN), they're going to start paying more in order to get sports and their games on their stations.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
It's not really that big of stretch. The whole thing falls apart if Xavier and Butler are not complicit (think of them like the UAW and the teamsters and the C7 is GM). Everyone else would just then fall inline. They have no alternatives. A group of 7 teams isnt a conference and that reality becomes clearer as the time dwindles away to 7/1/14. cThis is sort of how labor negotiations go. It's funny it's manifesting itself in this context.
If its only Butler & Xavier who are not 'complicit' I tend to disagree. The C7 would just move down the list looking at not only A-10 schools but also Creighton, Gonzaga etc. Butler and Xavier will have alot more leverage if Dayton, Creighton ans St.Louis are with them.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I wonder if the prospective 2nd class members that receive less tv money will be allowed to participate in the tourney for the automatic NCAA bid or even be given the right to host conference games? I seem to recall that the lower class passengers of the Titanic didn't seem to fare particularly well either.

·
Premium Member
8,260 Posts
At some point, folks will realize that they're talking about 5 of the bottom 7 Big East teams and none of the top 5 this year. I think at that point, the teams they are poaching will have an upper hand if they can get their acts together and get on the same page. The teams they are poaching would be among the top half of the conference consistently. You don't last very long if you're being treated like a second class citizen despite providing more of the prestige.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
If the BE7 pulls off this kind of a deal at the expense of teams that have been better than most of their membership, it will be one of the most lopsided negotiations ever. It will fuel instability in the future. Take the best 7 current "possible additions to the BE7" and they should have more negotiating power than the BE7 themselves.

How can Georgetown, Marquette, Nova and four also-rans command a 500 million dollar contract on their own while the A10 in it's current form can't command a fraction of that? There is something wrong here if this is true.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
First of all, I would take anything from Darren Rovell with a ton of salt. He's an idiot, and has been wrong and duped by "sources" many, many times.

But even taking his information as fact, every school asked would still sign up on the spot. The idea of 3-5 teams banding together and trying to negotiate anything more than exit fee relief is silly. The minute a real invite comes, they would put on their sluttiest dress become a gleeful whore to the C7. They'd be stupid not to.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I think it's all dependent on the conditions. Is this a permanant inequity? If it is, you are stuck on an uneven playing field with the schools that are doubling your revenue indefinitely. That gives you a greater chance of being a permanant doormat in their league while facing a voting block of the original BE7 schools who want to maintain that competitive advantage over you as long as possible. They will probably never let the schools who have agreed to an unequal cut to become a part of the majority by voting in more than 12 teams. In other words, they control your destiny and have a built in sizable competitive advantage over you.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
evidently fox sports is alergic to profits. no one is going to tune in for providence-depaul-seton hall-st johns. i'll say it again, the only thing separating these schools from fordham and la salle was them playing syracuse, uconn and louisville a few times a year.

xavier and butler are both going to continue to dominate the ncaa shares and they'll also have to kiss the monetary ring of the likes of depaul.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
over the last 20 years, umass has a winning record against the catholic 7, i suspect we're not the only ones in the a10.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Say they split evenly with 12 teams, that is about 3Mill to the good. What about NCAA credits? Believe in the short term it will be dramatically less with the C7 even if they can take their NCAA credits to the new conference.

There are some X fans that seem to know a lot about NCAA credits. Can you summarize the true difference for year one.
For this year take the 6 year average of the A10 and the C7.

My guess it will still be a 2.5 Mill to the good, but ammo to fight non-equal sharing the TV revenue.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts