Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BS was poking fun at all the ridiculous comparisons on www.nbadraft.net and when i went to check it out i again noticed the same thing i always do.....

the mock drafts are complete BS!!! (no pun intended)

they are just talent raters who take absolutely no consideration about players currently on the team. i know the tactic should be to draft the most talented players, but here is a sample from nbadraft.net's list

5. josh mcroberts- toronto. now i know it hasn't turned out that bad for them, but with babcock gone there is no way in hell they will draft another power forward.

11. jj reddick - chicago. yep if i had ben gordon, kirk hinrich, chris duhon and no power forwards, id definately go the poorer version of a player i already have (gordon)

13. rajon rondo- philly. no small forward?, no problem. coz i know when im hoping for korver to go 9 of 11 from 3 to cancel out what he just gave up on defense, i can rest assured that if my franchise player who is on the court for 42minutes a night gets injured, ive got rondo to the rescue.

20- maurice ager - wizards. apparently the wizards couldn't get enough of gilbert arenas, so they drafted him again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
there are more examples from this site, and its a very similar story on other draft sites. im sure there are a few good ones, but u probably have to pay to get insight not as half-assed

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Most draft sites don't allow for team needs until the draft order is decided. That is, they are simply rating the prospects from 1-60.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Guess you don't read the print on most mock draft websites where it says "team needs have not been taken into account in this mock draft." You have to have little common sense to not be able to work out that nearly all mock drafts from sites such as nbadraft.net, draftexpress and hoopshype don't take into consideration team needs as of yet. NBAdraft.net has been doing it this way for years.

Greg Ostertag! hit the nail on the head.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm trying to figure out what the big attraction with Josh McRoberts is.

When I see him play, I see a guy who has great size, good length, and good vertical ability. What I don't see is a guy who has toughness, perimeter ability, or lateral ability.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
You can't teach the former but many believe you can teach/develop the latter. It's all about potential.

IMO Josh shouldn't come out this year but it's a weak draft and if his stock is as high as some people predict maybe it is a good idea for him to test the draft waters.

KB21 said:
When I see him play, I see a guy who has great size, good length, and good vertical ability. What I don't see is a guy who has toughness, perimeter ability, or lateral ability.

·
Yeah..A Knicks Fan
828 Posts
naibsel said:
11. jj reddick - chicago. yep if i had ben gordon, kirk hinrich, chris duhon and no power forwards, id definately go the poorer version of a player i already have (gordon)
In their defense, they had the Bulls taking LaMarcus Aldridge with the second pick they get from the Knicks.

·
Premium Member
21,860 Posts
Kinda funny that the guy that made this post was so wrong, and has yet to show his face.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I think mock drafts should be taken with a grain of salt...

The reality is that the NBA Draft is not just one draft board, but a combination of 30 draft boards. The mocks you see on the internet are just one person's (or one group's) opinion. The impression I get is that each team's board is always going to vary dramatically, and a player has to be the top player available to the team that is picking before he gets drafted.

If you think about it, we really don't know how much players like Chris Taft and Andray Blatche slipped last year. Plenty of teams could have had both players as first rounders, but either weren't in a position to select them or simply had a player or two rated higher on their boards when it was their turn to pick. Could be that teams late in the first round didn't think they would be there, honed in on a different prospect, and didn't feel comfortable picking a guy they didn't do their homework on and that everybody else was passing up. Could be that they slipped, or it could just be bad luck on their part.

I just think there is a huge difference between a player averaging out at #20 on NBA teams' draft boards and actually getting picked there. In the end, it all comes down to what the individual GM sees and what the team picking actually needs.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,986 Posts
It's just about impossible to make out a mock that has any reasonable hope of accuracy.This year it's far more complex.Every team looks at every prospect differently and they view every one of those guys from a unique perspective.In a year like this there may be half a dozen guys that are rated as the top prospect by different teams.I don't see anyone that sticks out myself.None of these guys look like a Chris Paul who is going to make your team better the second he pulls your uniform on.None of them look remotely like impact players who could step into any situation and help your team win games.

So instead of taking players based on their talent the teams may look at their own circumstances more than they usually would.In my opinion the thing this year would be to look around for guys who definitely look like NBA players and make sure that you didn't whiff completely.I really just don't see a lot of guys who look like they are going to be NBA starters.

·
Registered
17,281 Posts
They don't take team needs into account until the draft order is finalized, that would be stupid. We want to know who the better prospects are at this point, not who the Bulls would take at #4 if they end up with that pick. Who cares? Mock Drafts are great by the way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.