Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in my opinion unc they have had carter jamison stackhouse worthy wallace perkins JORDAN plus more great players like scott wuts ur opinion and dont even bother if its duke cause they suck and have had no good players l8tly except mabey j will but brand sux he just looks good cause hes been with the bulls and clippers 2 teams who cant even brake .500

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
carolina is good for sure but i'll take ucla;
goodrich
hazzard
myers
walton
kareem
wicks
rowe
wilkes
m.johnson
baron davis
kiki vandeweghe
obannon

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Got to go with UNC here because they have produced some of the great players in the league

Along with the best player to ever play the game

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
UNC by far just look at them..Jordan,Rasheed,Worthy,Stackhouse,Perkins,McInnis,Carter,Jaminson That is way better then the UCLA class anyday..ANd as for Pacerfan82 sayin Clippers sux and so does Brand hahahaha..Clippers are gonna do alot better then Pacers this year with Brand,Dre,Odom,Qrich,Kandi!!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I'd say UCLA in terms of PRO players. Places that produce the greatest COLLEGE players are UCLA, Indiana, Louisville, Duke, IMO

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
UCLA

Lew Alcindor (Kareem Abduol Jabaar), Jamaal Wilkes, Bill Walton, Sven nater, Don Mclean, and all of the others listed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A few more Bruins....

For the oldtimers - Don Barksdale - the first black NBA All Star. Willie Naulls - a decadefor the Knicks. A guy named Jackie Robinson played for UCLA and was twice conference scoring champ. Played some baseball for the Dodgers, too.

Among the UCLA hoops All-Americans I don't see listed here are George Stanich, Alan Sawyer, Don Bragg, and Johnny Green.

The UCLA NBA Vets are:

Current: Baron Davis, Darrick Martin, Jelani McCoy, Jerome Moiso, Reggie Miller, Tracy Murray, Dan Gadzuric, Matt Barnes and Earl Watson.

Past: Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Lucius Allen, Darrell Allums, Toby Bailey, Don Barksdale, Henry Bibby, Mitchell Butler, Darren Daye, Ralph Drollinger, Mark Eaton, Tyus Edney, Keith Erickson, Kenny Fields, Greg Foster, Rod Foster, Corey Gaines, Gail Goodrich, Stuart Gray, David Greenwood, Jack Haley, Roy Hamilton, Walt Hazzard, JR Henderson, Brad Holland, Michael Holton, Ralph Jackson, Marques JOhnson, Edgar Lacey, Greg Lee, Mike Lynn, Don MacLean, Gerald Madkins, Andre McCarter, Dave Meyers, Dave Minor, Swen Nater, Willie Naulls, Charles O'Bannon, Ed O'Bannon, Keith Owens, Steve Patterson, Richard Petrushka, Pooh Richardson, Curtis Rowe, Mike Sanders, Alan Sawyer, Lynn Shackleford, Raymond Townsend, Kiki Vandewege, Brett Vroman, Bill Walton, Richard Washington, Sidney Wicks, Keith (Jamaal) Wilkes, James Wilkes, Trevor Wilson, Brad Wright, and George Zidek.

·
Registered
225 Posts
In terms of depth, UCLA probably wins out, but it seems like many of the UCLA greats didn't have as successful careers in the NBA.

If you're talking about putting together a team of Alums all in their prime, I don't think this one could be beat.

C- Daugherty, Perkins
PF- Wallace, Jamison
SF- Carter, Worthy
SG- Jordan, Stackhouse
PG- Ford, Smith

·
Registered
3 Posts
Coudn't beat them out?

C- Daugherty, Perkins
PF- Wallace, Jamison
SF- Carter, Worthy
SG- Jordan, Stackhouse
PG- Ford, Smith

...hmmmm

C - Abdul Jabbar, Walton, Eaton, Nater
PF- Naulls, Wicks, Greenwood,
SF- MJohnson, Wilkes, Vandewege
SG- RMIller, Gail Goodrich, Lucius Allen
PG- Walt Hazzard, Baron Davis, Richardson

Okay - you get shooting guard....but not C, PF , SF, and likely not PG once Barons career is done...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ok, I take back that UNC couldn't be beat, but I still think they are the best. I admit I don't know many of the old timers, but thanks to the internet, I was able to get most everybody's pro stats. Turns out a good bunch of those UCLA guys had solid pro careers, but some of them like Greenwood, Allen, and Hazzard, well I couldn't find their stats and I suspect that they never had really strong pro careers. The reason I'm emphasizing pro careers is b/c I think that is what we're talking about- best pro players. We are on an NBA messageboard, afterall.

The teams...

For the Bruins (crgreen's picks):

C - Abdul Jabbar, Walton, Eaton, Nater
PF- Naulls, Wicks, Greenwood,
SF- MJohnson, Wilkes, Vandewege
SG- RMIller, Gail Goodrich, Lucius Allen
PG- Walt Hazzard, Baron Davis, Richardson

And for the Tar Heels (my picks):

C- Daugherty, Perkins
PF- Wallace, Cunningham (replaces Jamison)
SF- Carter, Worthy
SG- Jordan, Stackhouse
PG- Ford, Smith

The Matchups:

Granted at center it's not even a question. If I was coaching, I'd put Rasheed on Kareem, but it probably wouldn't even help. Walton off the bench is brutal. Anyway, at center, advantage UCLA big-time.

At PF, Wallace is athletic, can shoot, and is nearly seven feet tall. Nauls and Wicks were both much smaller and would have trouble containing him. Nauls especially because he played old, old school hoops. Greenwood is the only one big enough but I question his selection because I can't find his pro stats and am assuming he never materialized in the NBA, a la Sam Bowie.

Cunningham and Wicks played roughly the same time period, and Cunningham is considered a better pro player. So at PF, UNC has the advantage.

At SF, I think the choice is obvious- UNC. Worthy, Johnson, Vandeweghe, and Wilkes were all great players but only Worthy made the 50 greatest players. And Worthy may not even be the best SF for UNC. Despite all the negative hype surrounding him since his injury, VC is still a fantastic player with several years left until he peaks.

SG- I don't know anything about Goodrich and Allen aside from their stats, but I'm going to assume that UNC would dominate this spot at least as much as UCLA would dominate the center position.

PG- I think UCLA wins this matchup. Ford's career was cut short, and Baron Davis is turning into a fantastic player in his own right.

Overall it would be close. I think UNC is better at PF, SF, and SG, while UCLA is better at C and PG. We could make it really interresting and throw the Dean and coach Wooden in there, but that's a whole other argument.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Need to recheck some of your data....

James Worthy WAS a great player. 17.6 pts, 5.7rebs, 3.0 assists in 11 years. One of my favorites. BUT.....Marques Johnson put up 20.3 pts, 7.1rebs, 3.7 assists over 10 years.

AND, while James made the all-rookie team his first year, Jamaal Wilkes WAS rookie of the year, teaming with Rick Barry that year to lead Golden State to their only Title (before joining the Lakers and nabbing a couple more titles) - he also out produced James at SF - he was 17.7pts, 6.2rebs, 2.5assists in 12 years...(and started IN FRONT OF JAMES on the Lakers until his retirement).

As for Billy Cuningham/Marques - they were hardly contemporaries. Billy left UNC in 1965 - Marques was winning the Wooden award at UCLA in 1977.....

And while I give you Shooting guard - it's no way the domination level of the Center spot.....Gail Goodrich was more than just OKAY - (18.6pts, 4.7 rebs over 14 seasons) - and Dream Team member Reggie Miller WILL be "TOP 50" when they pick the next group of 50 after he finally retires.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Cunningham and Sidney Wicks were from the same era, not Marques Johnson.

As for the SF's, come on, Johnson and Wilkes better than Worthy? For one thing, Wilkes' and Worthy's stats are virtually identical, and if you want to mention individual accolades Worthy can more than hold his own with both Wilkes and Johnson. As for Johnson having higher averages, trust me those numbers don't tell the whole story. For one thing, well like you said during his first two years Worthy spelled the veteran Wilkes, when he probably would have been starting on most clubs. Also, he played two seasons at the end of his career when he was producing subpar numbers. That kind of drop off in production did not occur as dramatically in Johnson's career, unless you count a ten game comeback stint in 1990 when he averaged 4ppg.

And yes, I think UNC would be completely dominant at SG.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Don't you believe in periods? lol

Anyway, thats total BS what you were saying about Elton Brand, anyone who can put up 20-10 on any given night does NOT suck.

But I definitly have to agree that North Carolina is the best NBA talent producer.

CHL, you left off Kansas on your best college talent, ;)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I think LSU would be able to field a pretty tough squad... I can't think of that many players now, off the top of my head, but a two man game of Shaq and Pistol Pete would be almost unbeatable.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BBallFan</b>!
I think LSU would be able to field a pretty tough squad... I can't think of that many players now, off the top of my head, but a two man game of Shaq and Pistol Pete would be almost unbeatable.
I would love to see these two on the floor together... With these two LSU is very good...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts