Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To celebrate Phil Knight's birthday in 2017. I bet these teams change between now and 2017. It's good to be a Nike school though. Great company to keep.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8274359/nike-schools-commit-16-team-mega-event-honor-phil-knight

Committed schools:

Kentucky (SEC)

Florida (SEC)

Michigan State (Big Ten)

Ohio State (Big Ten)

Duke (ACC)

North Carolina (ACC)

Connecticut (Big East)

Georgetown (Big East)

Texas (Big 12)

Oklahoma (Big 12)

Stanford (Pac-12)

Oregon (Pac-12)

Xavier (A-10)

Butler (A-10)

Gonzaga (WCC)

·
Banned
1,112 Posts
Very impressive list, and great for both Xavier and Butler programs. This is the work of Michigan St AD Mark Hollis as a "thank you" to Knight for all Nike does for the elite Nike programs. Hollis said this will be "the greatest in-season basketball even of all time."

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Next thing you know, there'll be a "Sonny Vacaro Invitational".
Anymore blatant?

Where have you gone Chuck Taylor?

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Very cool. It's nice to see Butler and Xavier representing the A-10 in this event.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
If it makes people feel better, I'm pretty sure that X isn't "Hyper Elite" - if that were the case, we'd probably see hideous unis that NE schools like Syracuse, Ohio State and Duke wear right now.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
If it makes people feel better, I'm pretty sure that X isn't "Hyper Elite" - if that were the case, we'd probably see hideous unis that NE schools like Syracuse, Ohio State and Duke wear right now.
We're in the Elite Group. The HE group is comprised of:

"The nine teams all have won National Championships in Nike footwear and apparel. The programs donning the Nike Hyper Elite Platinum uniforms in 2012 include The University of Arizona, Baylor University (women’s), Duke University, University of Florida, University of Kentucky, Syracuse University, The University of Connecticut (men’s and women’s) and University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill."

I presume Butler is in the Elite Group as well.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
VCU is a Nike Elite school as well as of 2011. George Mason was the other Nike Elite school in the CAA.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
What an impressive field. Except Oklahoma. I know they've had some great teams in the past, but they've been awful lately.

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
I get that there are two teams from each big conference, and they added Xavier/Butler and Gonzaga/Portland to round it out to 16 teams.

Portland because it's in Portland.
Oregon because it's there and big time ties to Nike.

But Stanford? Why not UCLA? Or Arizona...a hyperelite school?

(side bar fun: Sean Miller watches while Mack takes the Buick to this tournament...assuming Mack is still at X then. Not a good assumption based on recent history.)

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I get that there are two teams from each big conference, and they added Xavier/Butler and Gonzaga/Portland to round it out to 16 teams.

Portland because it's in Portland.
Oregon because it's there and big time ties to Nike.

But Stanford? Why not UCLA? Or Arizona...a hyperelite school?

(side bar fun: Sean Miller watches while Mack takes the Buick to this tournament...assuming Mack is still at X then. Not a good assumption based on recent history.)
The Pac 12 has been such a mess lately that it seems difficult to predict the future, although Arizona or UCLA do seem like much surer bets. (Although from a quick Google search, it appears that UCLA is an Adidas school, so they're out.) So Arizona seems like they should have been the choice.

I think Mack will probably be gone by then. If he somehow gets Xavier to the second week of the tournament this season, I bet a lot of schools will be taking a run at him immediately. Just getting to the tournament might be enough honestly.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
It's possible Arizona said no. Maui gets commits from the top schools many years out, my guess is you will see Arizona in Maui in 2017. You'll probably see a great Maui field that year too, with the likes of Kansas, Syracuse, Indiana, Arizona, and Cincy/Temple/Memphis/whoever is left in the Big East.

That looks to be a great event, and it's a lot better for Xavier, Butler, and Portland than most of the others. Frankly, as a coach I would take Maui if given the choice, because it's in Maui. But 5 years out...it may not even happen, let alone look anywhere near what it does today. You can bet the NCAA will closely monitor things. Something that has an open association with a shoe company sends alarm bells into a frenzy.

I think Adidas schools will scream (mostly behind closed doors) about the event, because they can't really have their own. It would be Kansas, UCLA, Indiana, and that's about it. If they can't have theirs, they won't want to see a three day Nike recruiting hand job. I'd give this thing a 50/50 shot at even happening, at best. But it would be a hell of an event to watch.

·
Banned
5,541 Posts

Post-season Basketball Tournament Settlement Agreed (Andy Katz, ESPN - August 17, 2020)

New York – After more than two years of litigation, law suits and counter-suits, an out-of-court settlement has been reached by the numerous parties involved in the turf war which was precipitated by the withdrawal of BCS Conferences Inc. schools from the NCAA in January, 2018.

The BCS Basketball Championship Tournament (which replaced the NCAA Tournament in March, 2018) will now be divided into three post-season Tournaments, each of which will crown their own National Champion:

• Nike National Basketball Championship Tournament

• Adidas National Basketball Championship Tournament

• Reebok National Basketball Championship Tournament​

Contract negotiations for multi-year television rights for the three Tournaments, each expected to be worth billions of dollars, are due to begin as early as next week. Sources close to the situation have indicated that CBS is likely to strike a deal for the Nike National Basketball Championship Tournament, while executives from ESPN and NBC will soon be meeting with the media rights negotiating teams from the Adidas and Reebok organizations.

The settlement was greeted with unanimous praise by the basketball coaches of the BCS Conferences Inc., which will now be dissolved under the terms of the settlement.

Fran Dunphy, the head coach of Temple - State College, PA (formerly known as Penn State University), summed up the feelings of the BCS Conferences Inc. basketball head coaches:

"This will be a great improvement over the present situation. In the future, there will be three National Champions every year, 24 Elite Eight teams, and 48 Sweet 16 Teams."

"This will inevitably lead to greater stability in coaching employment and higher salaries for BCS Conferences Inc. basketball head coaches, who only make an average of about $ 9,000,000 per year".

This sentiment was echoed by Big East Commissioner Chris Mack, who said: "The head coaches of our 37 member schools are universally in favor of the new post-season basketball tournament arrangements. As a bonus, this settlement will inevitably lead to the next expansion of the Big East Conference".

Under the terms of the settlement, the NCAA Mid-Major Tournament and NCAA Low-Major Tournament will remain unchanged and continue each March under the aegis of the NCAA, as will the NCAA Division II and Division III Men's Basketball Tournaments.

The instability which led to the break-up of the NCAA, and subsequently the break-up of BCS Conferences Inc., began on August 16, 2012 when Michigan State athletic director Mark Hollis told ESPN that he has secured commitments from 16 schools to participate in a NIKE Tournament, which began in November 2017.

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
It's possible Arizona said no. Maui gets commits from the top schools many years out, my guess is you will see Arizona in Maui in 2017.

I'd give this thing a 50/50 shot at even happening, at best. But it would be a hell of an event to watch.
I would think if Maui commits were a problem, some of the other schools on the list would have run into the same difficulty. Which still leaves me confused about Arizona. The hyperelite status should carry some weight.

As to it coming off, since he's got the commitment of all the AD's, and assumedly Nike will pony up big time ad dollars for ESPN (or whoever), I'd put the chances a lot higher.

Aside from Kentucky, Duke and UNC, any of the other schools could be having a down period by the time 2017 rolls around. I would imagine everyone would still be a Nike school though. Connecticut has the biggest chance to be in a different conference.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I'd give this thing a 50/50 shot at even happening, at best. But it would be a hell of an event to watch.
I'm sure it's a done deal unless somebody switches to the competition for more money or leaves a conference. Nike isn't going to announce something half-baked. They will meet any objections with huge amounts of cash. That's the way it works now.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
In 2017, Assumes KY maintains it's JC/Associates degree status, UNC can overcome the death penalty for lack of institutional control, and the tournament can fit within the new 40 game schedule, with a pre-Halloween start. I'm sure those rising 8th & 9th graders have their calendars marked. Heck, at this rate why bother with the ncaa tournament OR maybe the winner gets an automatic bid or a bye to the 6th round?(hey, with a field of 256)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts