Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There UD and X fans. The past few years the A10 tourney has been held in you neck of the woods. For 2007 Atlantic city is drivable for the majority if the teams, but for you guys along with St. Louis and Charlotte is going to be long drive (9hrs or more). I was looking to use some I of my frequent flyer miles for someplace and I came upon Delta Airline's flight 5092. It departs Cincinnati 10:40am arrives Atlantic City 12:20pm. I assume a lot of you in SW Ohio use Delta's hub in CVG. Right now Delta is booking flights through March 7, 2007. There were plenty of skymiles seats available March 5 and March 6 too. The also had some seats available into Philly and Newark if you don't mind a drive, if you go into AC directly you probably won't need to rent a car. It seems like it's impossible to use your skymiles for the holidays, so why not use them for a basketball holiday. I fully expect to see XU and UD in AC. The earlier you book the better it's first come first serve....go A10

PS the A10 tourney is March 7-10

· Premium Member
3,613 Posts
Minuteman13 said:
Hi There UD and X fans. The past few years the A10 tourney has been held in you neck of the woods. For 2007 Atlantic city is drivable for the majority if the teams, but for you guys along with St. Louis and Charlotte is going to be long drive (9hrs or more). I was looking to use some I of my frequent flyer miles for someplace and I came upon Delta Airline's flight 5092. It departs Cincinnati 10:40am arrives Atlantic City 12:20pm. I assume a lot of you in SW Ohio use Delta's hub in CVG. Right now Delta is booking flights through March 7, 2007. There were plenty of skymiles seats available March 5 and March 6 too. The also had some seats available into Philly and Newark if you don't mind a drive, if you go into AC directly you probably won't need to rent a car. It seems like it's impossible to use your skymiles for the holidays, so why not use them for a basketball holiday. I fully expect to see XU and UD in AC. The earlier you book the better it's first come first serve....go A10

The sad part is there will probably be more Dayton, Xavier, and St. Louis fans than the other schools combined. There are no A-10 schools in Atlantic City and we all know the remainder of the conference travels like ****. I guess we will be back to 4k fans for the tourney final.

xu95

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
xu95 said:
The sad part is there will probably be more Dayton, Xavier, and St. Louis fans than the other schools combined. There are no A-10 schools in Atlantic City and we all know the remainder of the conference travels like ****. I guess we will be back to 4k fans for the tourney final.

xu95
That is not completely true. In last years NIT finals about 8,000 St Joe's fans traveled up to NYC to see St Joe's in the finals. AC is closer to Philly than NYC. with 3 Philly schools plus the allure of an AC long weekend I hope the Friday and Saturday games will be pretty packed. Playing day games in the middle of the week in the first two rounds is excatly an attendace booster

· Registered
252 Posts
xu95 said:

xu95
I am sure that if the A-10 final last month was SJU and Fordham, 12,000 people would have been there, right 95?...Luckily X fans support their team well....all other games in Cincy had more birds than fans in the seats. Early round games in Cincy last week drew Spectrum level crowds...If X had not made the final, 4,000 would have been high...

· Premium Member
740 Posts
Dr. Jack said:
I am sure that if the A-10 final last month was SJU and Fordham, 12,000 people would have been there, right 95?...Luckily X fans support their team well....all other games in Cincy had more birds than fans in the seats. Early round games in Cincy last week drew Spectrum level crowds...If X had not made the final, 4,000 would have been high...

If SJU and Fordham make the finals in AC, you can be fairly certain that it would be a sellout.

· Registered
345 Posts
Dr. Jack said:
if it were at UD it would have

· Premium Member
3,613 Posts
Dr. Jack said:
You don't even travel to St. Joes A-10 tournament games in Philly what the hell makes you think you will travel to AC?

Dayton fans travel well. It will be like a home game for them. 300 Dayton fans 5 fans for some other team.

I am looking forward to AC. It will be a week of gambling for me. I just love the people with short memory spans who think that the tournament is awesome anyplace but Ohio.

xu95

· Registered
790 Posts
Based on the latest business news, getting a free trip with miles on Delta might be like booking that return passage from NYC to London on the Titantic. My hunch is that by next year everything will be upside down out of Cincinnati - especially using Delta.

So, is Philly the closest airport to Atlantic City? How far is it?

Just getting ready to watch Xavier triumph yet again.

· Registered
1,759 Posts
SJU has to be any good for their fans to show however. I was at the UD/SJU A-10 qrtrfinal game in 1999(?) and there were 247 people in the 18,000-seat Spectrum.

- 185 of those were UD fans
- 32 of those were SJU fans
- 30 of those were ushers and cotton candy sellers

I walked right in and sat in row 1 behind the UD bench. SJU wasnt terrible that year either.

· Registered
1,584 Posts
I fully expect AC to sell out, or come close to selling out each game, now that the majority of schools are out here.

But I will believe that when I see it.

I honestly hope this works out.

· Registered
1,051 Posts
TRIVIA QUESTION:

Which team is the only one to win the tourney in Philly, Dayton and Cincinnati?

What are the odds the trend continues no matter what city the tourney goes to?

FLAGSHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
5,250 Posts
rusty X said:
Based on the latest business news, getting a free trip with miles on Delta might be like booking that return passage from NYC to London on the Titantic. My hunch is that by next year everything will be upside down out of Cincinnati - especially using Delta.

That was my immediate thought too rusty. If you've got Delta ff miles I suggest you use them asap. They're in a world of hurt and facing a pilot's strike.

· Registered
177 Posts
rusty X said:

Phila International is only about 1 - 1 1/2 hours away from AC depending on traffic. Travel is simple. Just get on the AC Expressway and go East until you hit the beach.

· Registered
177 Posts
Chetburger said:
SJU has to be any good for their fans to show however. I was at the UD/SJU A-10 qrtrfinal game in 1999(?) and there were 247 people in the 18,000-seat Spectrum.

- 185 of those were UD fans
- 32 of those were SJU fans
- 30 of those were ushers and cotton candy sellers

I walked right in and sat in row 1 behind the UD bench. SJU wasnt terrible that year either.
SJU didn't play Dayton in 1999. It was 2000 and SJU was a bad team, 13 -16 coming off two previous sub .500 years. I was at the game and it was a double-header with 7,800 in the building for the two games.

The next year SJU was good and 13,000 came to see the Umass/SJU semi-final game.

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Blue Dog said:
That was my immediate thought too rusty. If you've got Delta ff miles I suggest you use them asap. They're in a world of hurt and facing a pilot's strike.
Actually I was told that nonstop Cincy to AC was on Delta's commuter partner Comair. If the Delta pilots went on strike the A.C. comair flight wouldn't be affected. Unless the Comair pilots went on strike which isn't impossible.

· Registered
1,051 Posts
Minuteman13 said:
Actually I was told that nonstop Cincy to AC was on Delta's commuter partner Comair. If the Delta pilots went on strike the A.C. comair flight wouldn't be affected. Unless the Comair pilots went on strike which isn't impossible.
As a wholly owned subsidiary of Delta, Comair is no more enticing than Delta. In fact, Comair pilots are on the verge of walking. Many are saying they'll walk first.

AH said:
SJU didn't play Dayton in 1999. It was 2000 and SJU was a bad team, 13 -16 coming off two previous sub .500 years. I was at the game and it was a double-header with 7,800 in the building for the two games.

The next year SJU was good and 13,000 came to see the Umass/SJU semi-final game.
13-16 is a good year in some parts of Ohio.

· Banned
3,992 Posts
Minuteman13 said:

Thanks for the idea. It is a great idea actually. Who knows if Delta can hold on, but what the hell. They won't take my skymiles on any trip I want to take anyway.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.