Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is really shaping up to be an interesting tilt. This may be the perfect year for the two teams to play each other twice.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Have no idea if X is any good. This might give us a clue, think we will struggle to score against team playing real D. Look forward to the game, wish it wasn't at 1 PM my time here in California.

Look forward to seeing the boys in person in Anaheim next week

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Man-o-man... I just hope the A-10 can score a nice out of conference win in this one!

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
How does the "A10 Suck Factor" work in this game exactly?

·
Banned
5,541 Posts

Poorly.

·
Banned
5,541 Posts

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Man-o-man... I just hope the A-10 can score a nice out of conference win in this one!
Hope so. Seems like a good chance yet another A10 team misses a chance for a huge OOC win.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Butler definitely has some question marks, but X looked much better than I expected. They may not have the individual talent, or depth, Xavier fans are used to, but they appear to play far more disciplined defense and share the ball very well. This team will look more like the Miller era teams than Mack's first 3 teams it appears. Not a bad thing. Mack has all his guys and nobody who still thinks of him as the assistant.

·
Registered
436 Posts
If there is one thing that successful A10 teams have had in the recent past it is a player(s) that can create. Butler has no player that can do that (like numerous Temple players, Tu, Lyons, Anderson, Mitchell, etc).

·
Registered
436 Posts
BTW, XU had much better passing and movement than in the recent past. What X may have a short roster their top 6 are all talented players, just ones who haven't yet put it together but it sure looks to me that without a star they are much more team oriented.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Xavier definitely looked better than I thought they would. Butler also looked a little worse, though good D can do that to a team.

I think the big issue for Xavier is the depth. How many injuries can they sustain? What about foul trouble on the road, which either results in starters spending time on the bench or playing tentative D? I'm sure X fans probably are pleasantly surprised so far though. Nice win.

·
Cross Town Rivals
29 Posts
Xavier has already exceeded expectation and they are just 2-0! If youi believed the doom and gloom of the off season than as I have said in this forum before you downplay coaching....Mack can flat out coach and if he gets 100% out if his talent game in and game out they will be in those games!

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I think the big issue for Xavier is the depth. How many injuries can they sustain? What about foul trouble on the road, which either results in starters spending time on the bench or playing tentative D?
I think X can absorb issues with bigs because Philmore will be back in another game. Guards is another story. THIN with only 3 true guards

·
Registered
510 Posts
Nice win for X. One of the biggest keys to the season will be whether Semaj Christon can play like a non-freshman. He mostly struggled tonight. I wouldn't have thought X could solidly beat a team like Butler with Semaj struggling. In the future, probably won't be able to beat good opponents without big contributions from Semaj.

The nice thing about X is that every year the seniors step up. We're already seeing that with Robinson, Redford and Taylor all looking way better than last year. Those 3, Martin, Davis and Christon could be a very solid 6. If Stenger and Philmore can give positive contributions, all the better.

·
Banned
1,112 Posts
Stenger didn't play well tonight. Not strong enough down low.

VERY impressed by Dee. Small floor general out there... and he's got some handles.

Taylor has some moves down low finally and Redford creating some of his own offense.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Stenger didn't play well tonight. Not strong enough down low.

VERY impressed by Dee. Small floor general out there... and he's got some handles.

Taylor has some moves down low finally and Redford creating some of his own offense.
There are the intangibles, though. Recall the rebound he made on the floor after a missed FTA, which led to a Butler player falling onto him, picking up a foul in the process. The team was juiced by his effort.

Our guys played hard through almost every possession. This is nothing like what we were expecting to start the season. They look more together than last year's squad at this time, because they're playing as a team.

9th in the A10 if this effort keeps up? Sure, believe that all you want Xavier haters.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
9th in the A10 if this effort keeps up? Sure, believe that all you want Xavier haters.
Not a Xavier-hater, but I do think X will be lucky to make it through the season without losing players to injury and will find it tougher than today on the road. If fouls or injury happens to a starter, then that thin depth becomes walk-ons playing major minutes against tough competition. I hope that doesn't happen though, hate to see injuries derail a team.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts