Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Yankes have inquired about signing Furcal to play CF for them next season and beyond. They believe he has the ability to make the move from SS to CF fairly easily. I think it's not a bad idea. Thoughts?

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman asked one of Furcal's representatives if Furcal would be willing to play center. Furcal, 28, likely will rule nothing out at this early stage of free agency — he routinely shags fly balls with Braves teammate Andruw Jones and jokes about replacing him in center. He not only is athletic enough to play the position, but also could bat leadoff for the Yankees, forming a dynamic 1-2 combination with Derek Jeter
http://msn.foxsports.com/story/5070298
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
58,028 Posts
Sign Giles, play him in LF and Matsui in CF!

-Petey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,441 Posts
Petey said:
Sign Giles, play him in LF and Matsui in CF!

-Petey
Giles is not getting any younger (34) and Matsui is staying in LF......You know if the moneys right I wouldn't mind Furcal in CF becuase he does have the athletic ability Speed, Range, & a Cannon for an arm.....Not to mention he still has age on his side being only 28, and you could think of him as a Stronger armed Pierre of the Marlins becuase they would be similiar in style, but again Furcal would win this because of his superior arm strength.........Also not to mention we'd have a table setter at the top of the line up that we haven't had since good old Knobby!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
58,028 Posts
MonStrSquad*JK said:
Giles is not getting any younger (34) and Matsui is staying in LF......You know if the moneys right I wouldn't mind Furcal in CF becuase he does have the athletic ability Speed, Range, & a Cannon for an arm.....Not to mention he still has age on his side being only 28, and you could think of him as a Stronger armed Pierre of the Marlins becuase they would be similiar in style, but again Furcal would win this because of his superior arm strength.........Also not to mention we'd have a table setter at the top of the line up that we haven't had since good old Knobby!
This team doesn't need a table setter. When you have Giambi, ARod and Sheff, guys whom can hit 40 each, Matsui, and potentially Giles, guys that can hit 30 each, and then Jeter and Posada, 15-20 homer guys, not to mention Cano who put up good numbers in a shortened season, you need a guy with a high OBP so all these bombs hit aren't solo shots.

-Petey
 

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
Joined
·
9,583 Posts
The Royals are talking to him for possibly to be our 2B
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,441 Posts
Petey said:
This team doesn't need a table setter. When you have Giambi, ARod and Sheff, guys whom can hit 40 each, Matsui, and potentially Giles, guys that can hit 30 each, and then Jeter and Posada, 15-20 homer guys, not to mention Cano who put up good numbers in a shortened season, you need a guy with a high OBP so all these bombs hit aren't solo shots.

-Petey
That's the thing Petey we don't need anymore Home Run hitters in this line up that's the problem already..........So yes to me we do need a table setter because alot of our home runs last year were solo shots, and we did have trouble manufactoring runs......there was a reason why in some games we would go into scoring slumps becuase we couldn't play small ball when our big bats were shut down .......How many average Tampa Pitchers shut us down this year do I have to bring up..............We have no speed in our line up, and it does hurt the line up when we're not clicking becuase we can't force the issue and the action and we have to waite for the Big Bang every time........Also the other reason I'm for it is because we don't have anyone in the outfield with range, and that's why I would be willing to try out the Furcal experiment becuase he would add the extra range that Sheff and Matsui don't have, and would be able to cover up their short comings as outfielders.....By the way Cashman isn't the one who first brought this up it was Furcal who mentioned he wouldn't mind the switch if everything was a good fit.........Just think we've already had one of the greatest baseball players of our era or in any era change his position in Arod and I'd say that turned out pretty good so far..................No to mention I would like some more youth on this squad, Besides Cano, Wang, Bubba and even Chacon everyone is either past 30 or at 30 on our roster......So No thank you to Giles who's 34, and plays the outfield (father time won't help his range)..........Not to mention the fact that he also plays in another cracker jack ball park in SD, and you can't tell me that doesn't help his Offensive numbers..........So again if the moneys right and the Yankee coaches and oragnization feel he can do the switch, and Furcal feels he can do the switch............Then bring him in, and just as a lil insurance protection God forbid if someone goes down in the infield say Cano or DJ we could plug Furcal at either position (not miss a beat) and put BuBBa in CF for a short period in time.........So it could be a win, win for the Yankees in this situation if you're thinking outside the box you know.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
27,241 Posts
It's over, all over.. Yankees have landed Giles.. Cardinals never have any shot, just like any teams going against the Yankees.. JMO.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
58,028 Posts
Brian34Cook said:
It's over, all over.. Yankees have landed Giles.. Cardinals never have any shot, just like any teams going against the Yankees.. JMO.
Where did you see this?

-Petey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,375 Posts
Brian34Cook said:
It's over, all over.. Yankees have landed Giles.. Cardinals never have any shot, just like any teams going against the Yankees.. JMO.
Giless will not sign with the yankees. They were one of the teams on his limited no trade clause and he has said int he past he has no desire to play for them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,441 Posts
Brian34Cook said:
It's over, all over.. Yankees have landed Giles.. Cardinals never have any shot, just like any teams going against the Yankees.. JMO.
Man I almost had a heart attack.....Good one....Just the thought of Giles, Matsui, and SHeff as our outfield makes me cringe.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
27,241 Posts
Petey said:
Where did you see this?

-Petey
No where I said just my opinion :laugh: .. It's just whenever a team goes for a free agent against the Yanks, more times than not they dont stand a chance..
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
58,028 Posts
qwerty said:
Giless will not sign with the yankees. They were one of the teams on his limited no trade clause and he has said int he past he has no desire to play for them.
Right, but before he was traded to the Padres, Giles had let it be known he waived that clause, and said he would play here, if the 2 teams could work out a trade.

-Petey
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23,770 Posts
Brian34Cook said:
It's over, all over.. Yankees have landed Giles.. Cardinals never have any shot, just like any teams going against the Yankees.. JMO.
by adding giles, no team could beat the yankees? dont they say that every year, last year was johnson, before that was arod... last time i checked they didnt win squat.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
58,028 Posts
MonStrSquad*JK said:
That's the thing Petey we don't need anymore Home Run hitters in this line up that's the problem already..........So yes to me we do need a table setter because alot of our home runs last year were solo shots, and we did have trouble manufactoring runs......there was a reason why in some games we would go into scoring slumps becuase we couldn't play small ball when our big bats were shut down .......How many average Tampa Pitchers shut us down this year do I have to bring up..............We have no speed in our line up, and it does hurt the line up when we're not clicking becuase we can't force the issue and the action and we have to waite for the Big Bang every time........Also the other reason I'm for it is because we don't have anyone in the outfield with range, and that's why I would be willing to try out the Furcal experiment becuase he would add the extra range that Sheff and Matsui don't have, and would be able to cover up their short comings as outfielders.....By the way Cashman isn't the one who first brought this up it was Furcal who mentioned he wouldn't mind the switch if everything was a good fit.........Just think we've already had one of the greatest baseball players of our era or in any era change his position in Arod and I'd say that turned out pretty good so far..................No to mention I would like some more youth on this squad, Besides Cano, Wang, Bubba and even Chacon everyone is either past 30 or at 30 on our roster......So No thank you to Giles who's 34, and plays the outfield (father time won't help his range)..........Not to mention the fact that he also plays in another cracker jack ball park in SD, and you can't tell me that doesn't help his Offensive numbers..........So again if the moneys right and the Yankee coaches and oragnization feel he can do the switch, and Furcal feels he can do the switch............Then bring him in, and just as a lil insurance protection God forbid if someone goes down in the infield say Cano or DJ we could plug Furcal at either position (not miss a beat) and put BuBBa in CF for a short period in time.........So it could be a win, win for the Yankees in this situation if you're thinking outside the box you know.
Sorry, I was at work, so I didn't have a chance to reply to this... in the manner I wanted.

In Japan, Matsui was a career center fielder, and his numbers (fielding wise) in the US has been much better in center.

Plus, every offense is streaky, just look back at the season. But the best way to stop that is to get on base. Imagine having a line of 2 guys that have put up .400+ OBP year after year. YES, guys that get on base 2 of every 5 at bats. That averages out to at least getting on base once per game. Part of why our offense struggled was Giambi only got hot in the last 4 months. Imagine him doing well from start to finish, and with another guy that just gets on base with that regularity.

Furcal can only cause havoc when he gets on base, and he's not going to single handly stop an offensive drought.

-Petey
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
27,241 Posts
Cris said:
by adding giles, no team could beat the yankees? dont they say that every year, last year was johnson, before that was arod... last time i checked they didnt win squat.
Nah Cris, I should clarify.. I say nobody really has a chance at outbidding the Yankees.
 

·
Sexy Moderator
Joined
·
13,497 Posts
Cris said:
by adding giles, no team could beat the yankees? dont they say that every year, last year was johnson, before that was arod... last time i checked they didnt win squat.
26 world championships should count for something don't you think? :biggrin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,099 Posts
furcal is exactly what the yanks need...a dangerous leadoff man who can steal bases, and play the field. Cashman would go one step higher in my books if he could find some way to get this guy. I would take furcal over giles anyday.
 

·
Restore the Roar
Joined
·
7,393 Posts
I think the most intriguing idea thus far is the possibility of signing Nomar Garciaparra to play CF. Steinbrenner has always liked him, and after his injury last year he came back and played on old-Nomar-levels... A team with A-Rod/Jeter/Nomar... that would have been the slimmest possibility in the world just five years ago when they constantly battled for the title of best SS in baseball.


-Chris.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top