Yao averaged only 24.6 mins over the last 5 game, i am sure that will encourage Yao to be more aggressive and take more shots.:no: the Rockets lost 97-93, Yao did not play in the fourth.YaoMingMania.com
SUNDAY, 1/11/04 - The Rockets lost another game at home against a team they should have beat, this time losing to Boston (now 20-19) at home for the first time in 6 years, 97-93.
Yao scored 6 points in the first half, shooting 2-for-5. We believe there were several reasons why Yao didn't play more minutes in the second half.
1) Maurice Taylor, who usually subs for Yao, was playing well and scoring points in the second half, thus keeping Houston in the game. Van Gundy probably didn't want to disrupt that momentum.
2) Boston was playing a pretty good fronting defense on Yao, which has been known to create problems for Yao. But Yao should not be given all the blame. Houston's passers and coaches should share in the blame for not being able to get the ball to Yao over the fronting defenders.
3) Van Gundy seems to pull the hook prematurely on Yao when he isn't scoring points, but by taking him out of the game Yao doesn't have the opportunity to go to the line where the Rockets have been severely lacking this season compared to their opponents.
4) Van Gundy was expecting Yao to be productive from inside the paint, trying to establish him down low. However, we all know when opportunities aren't available in the low post, then Yao should be given the chance to shoot from the outside.
5) It was probably not the thing that made Van Gundy play him less minutes, but with 5:55 remaining in the second quarter, we could see Van Gundy visibly upset at Yao for not establishing low-post position on the side of the lane where the ball was being held. Van Gundy strongly pointed to Yao that he should have been on the other side of the lane where the ball was. In defense of Yao, he had been in the lane for almost 3 seconds (since no one had passed him the ball), and he had to get out of the lane before being called for a 3-second violation.
Edit: No posting full articles... just give us a small quote and link