Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
MVP
8,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yao Ming was never more clear, never sounded more certain. He raised his voice just a touch and made sure to pronounce each word so there would be no questions.

With the Cleveland Cavaliers down to their last chance in regulation and the ball and game in LeBron James' hands, James took off toward the rim. The Rockets held a three-point lead. Twenty-two seconds remained. And Yao came at him, arms raised to the length of a 7-6 center's reach for the meeting of two of the game's most celebrated figures.

James slipped in his shot. Yao was called for a foul. And after James' free throw sent the game to overtime, the Cavaliers beat the Rockets 104-102 on Sunday before 16,839 at Toyota Center.

Yao and the Rockets were convinced he did not foul James.

"Hey look," Yao said. "I'm not in my first day playing basketball. I knew we were up three. I knew he was shooting a two. There was no need to foul him. And believe me, the contact I get on the inside is much more difficult than he gets. And I do not get calls the whole year. I'm very clear about it. I know my hand was straight, maybe back.

"Whatever they (officials) say, the game has passed already."

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3749766.html

You can tell these losses are really killing him.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
does anyone have a clip of it or a picture.. those of us without visual representation are dying over here! :D

I love that he said "I am not in my first day playing" heehee! that's great. Most big guys get the shaft on fouls until they fight back against the refs. At least that's how it seems.

point in fact... I remember when Shaq was in college there was a big to do about him "fouling" ... so it was rumored that he made a video of all the bad calls he got in one season... I don't know that its true, but playing LSU was like going up against a brick wall.. he never got called for fouls inside, offense or defense, unless it was practically flagrant.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Mr. Roger's Cardigan said:
http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3749766.html

You can tell these losses are really killing him.
It's absolute bullshiz for big men these days. Guards drive in at will (due to hand-check rule) and draw phantom fouls. I'm terribly annoyed at the guard dominated game nowadays. Big men can get double teamed before they touch the ball and they get no fouls for little shoves and bumps.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
OneBadLT123 said:
Guys, its cause it was Lebron driving. I mean tell me if it was lets say Wesley, or another 3rd string nobdy, would they get the call? Nope
Exactly. When LeBron was going for that, I just knew there would be a foul called. Refs have always been biased to certain players. The bias isn't huge, but it's there. I hate to sound like a homer, but Hakeem Olajuwon was always treated poorly by the refs, especially before '95. Jordan and David Robinson, on the other hand, got a lot of free calls.

That said, I think the refs have been kinder to Yao this season. It's the reward for being more aggressive. However, he's still the most unfairly treated big-name player in the league.

·
Tru Warier
13,652 Posts
jworth said:
the only thing left for Yao to do now is pull an Artest and run into the stands.
Yah I can just picture Yao stomping over the crowd to get to that lil' wiener in the 4th roll :laugh:

Good for Yao, refs better smarten up next game

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'm sure Yao's comments made Stern's face blush over. It's like the quiet little choir boy who sits at the front of class stepping up and being outspoken for his own rights. You have to take it serious, at least for a moment, because it's not everyday that Yao calls out the officials.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Pasha The Great said:
I wouldn't be supprised if Yao gets a HUGE fine tomorrow.
No chance. If Yao gets a fine, this league has officially become a communist regime. Yao did not attack the referees. He did nothing that Mark Cuban doesn't do on a consistent basis. He was also far more polite than Cuban would ever be.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Biggets difference between Yao this year and last year: Last year, he wouldn't have said a thing about the call, and if he had, he would have said "It was a tough cal", yatta, yatta, yatta. Now, he came right out and said "It was a bad call, and how come LeBron James is getting the calls and I'm not."

Remember last year's playoffs? Yao got some of the worst calls against him I've ever seen, but not a peep out of him.

I think now that Yao is actually more outspoken, he'll be getting fewer bad calls.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I believe that the call was chicken sh#$. There was no way that yao fouled lebron there was no reason to do that. Nest time just put lebron on his a#$ when he tries to do that make sure he does not get a shot off at all.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Pasha The Great said:
I wouldn't be supprised if Yao gets a HUGE fine tomorrow.
I think this article is the translation of a Sina interview in which Yao also added "I better stop here now, otherwise I might get fined"

·
Kardashian Cursed
12,416 Posts
2 things i want to see yao do before this season is over to make it complete...

Get 2 technicals in one game from arguing. Yes meaning get ejected(seasons a tank anyway)
If hes gonna foul sombody, send a statement and make it count. Flagrant it!(jsut dont hurt the player)

Show the NBA next season, hes going to mean business

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.