Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok last night Canada played China in an exhibition game in Vancouver.

For those who dont know Yao Ming and his China teamates got embaressed 94-66

Canada is not playing with

Maggloire
TMAC (The real one)
Rick Fox

Yao was being guarded against 6'6 backup Center Richard Anderson. This was the first game Yao has played in North America this is what he had to say after the game.

"No. 23 (6-6, 260-pound Canadian backup center Richard Anderson) is so strong. He was so physical. Maybe I can get stronger than him."

If I am a Houston Rocket fan I would be scared right about now. Yao was being pushed around by a 6'6 Center in the NBA that equals to a SF/SG in height and Anderson is not really big muscle wise to add to that.

I mean If Maggloire was playing for Canada Yao would be in the hospital and Jamaal is not considered a Premier Center in the NBA.

This is what Anderson had to say about Ming

"His upper body is what he needs to work on,'' said Anderson, who used his low center of gravity to move Yao outside. "The first time he grimaces when you give him a little shove, you know you can take him.''

Yao was 5 for 5 but from what reports say all his points came off jump shots. When he tried to come into the block he was pushed out with ease.

I dont think any of us were expecting for him to try to post up someone but for somone who is getting this much hype I would consider that pathetic.

Side Note- Yao's english has improved alot from draft day. He answered a couple questions in english and you can tell he has been really working hard to improve it.

·
Registered
920 Posts
He needs to work on facial expressions. If you grimace you give your opponent a mental edge. Plus, he has supposedly been hitting the weights. But, I see him as a 7' 5" less skilled Dirk Nowitzki. A jumpshoooter to bring big guys out of the lane so guys like Steve Francis can get to the basket.

If he adds muscle he could turn into Rik Smits.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Yao will be fine. He is only like 21-22 years old and he is on a young team.. He should be able to put on a decent amount of weight and strength over the next 3-4 years.. Forget that he is 7'6".. even if he were only 7'1", it is rare to find guys that size these days with real solid offensive skills.

As long as China allows him the freedom to develop his game, I think Yao is gonna be a big factor in Houston. Too bad Houston can't land Rashard Lewis.. a lineup of Francis,Mobley,Lewis,Griffin,Ming would be pretty good..

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When your playing a 6'6 Center who will never play in the NBA. This is Canadas Backup to the Backup Center.

The fact that he only had the chance to throw up 5 shots is terrible for someone as good as we hear he will be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
you guys are clueless

6'6" and 260? That means he's only about 30 pounds lighter than Yao, but that's spread over a foot less of person. He's very well built, and he's got a much lower center of gravity than Yao. Check out the 4th pic at this site, it's a pic of the guy who was guarding Yao. As you can see, he's pretty big looking. Basically he's about as strong as a guy like Boozer. The fact that he's a backup for the Canadian team doesn't make him any less of a strong guy. Plus, HE'S ON THE NATIONAL TEAM! I don't care what country you live in, you have to be good at something to get on the team. I've been told by Canadians that he's a good post defender.

http://www.hoops.ca/look/look.html

·
Registered
494 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Shadows</b>!
When your playing a 6'6 Center who will never play in the NBA. This is Canadas Backup to the Backup Center.

The fact that he only had the chance to throw up 5 shots is terrible for someone as good as we hear he will be.
You're forgetting that China's guards struggled to get Yao the ball down in the low post the majority of the game. When they did get Yao the ball, Yao Ming was standin 17 feet away from the rim, and had to force his way in against Anderson for a closer shot.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Canada also didnt play with Nash!

They could've had a good lineup:

C: MacCullough(sp?)
PF: Magloire
SF: Fox
SG: ???
PG: Nash

·
Registered
309 Posts
Please. Folks over at our board (clutchcity.net) went to the game and reported the exact opposite. People want Ming to fail, especially the NY media after it became obvious Ming would not be a Knick. Here's a report from someone who went to the game... sort of disputes that notion that his points came off "jump shots". Also, it's somewhat hard for him to get the ball enough to shoot more than 6 times with guards worse than D3 players.

Contrary to many people's comment about Ming's outside game, Ming did not take one single outside jumper. He scored ALL his points in the paint (around the basket) with 100% of accuracy. He was literally unguardable in the paint. He was agile and aggressive in the paint and had several nice moves including a quick spin-move. If the Chinese guards can pass and feed the dam ball like how Lakers guards do to Shaq, Ming could have easily got 30+ points in about 25-30 mins.

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39643

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
If Yao was getting pushed around the middle in his North American debut (and I didn't see the game to know the facts) I can't believe anyone is surprised by this. He is a stringbean used to playing in a league where body contact is kept to a minimum.

The Rockets took him knowing full well that he is a long term project. Put some meat on his bones over a few years. For now, there is no doubt he is going to be knocked around like a pinball.

The problem Houston is going to have with developing Yao is going to be his commitment to play for the Chinese national team in future years. The time he spends back in China will be the time he should be spending with a trainer, lifting weights and regulating diet to bulk up and will conflict with summer big man camps, where Yao should be learning and developing footwork.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by <b>The Cat</b>!

Contrary to many people's comment about Ming's outside game, Ming did not take one single outside jumper. He scored ALL his points in the paint (around the basket) with 100% of accuracy. He was literally unguardable in the paint. He was agile and aggressive in the paint and had several nice moves including a quick spin-move. If the Chinese guards can pass and feed the dam ball like how Lakers guards do to Shaq, Ming could have easily got 30+ points in about 25-30 mins.

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39643
These people must have been watching a diffrent game. I saw some of the game on Raptors TV and I saw alot of after game analysis. Ming was being pushed around by Anderson with ease. Ming did have a Dunk and a hook shot but I'm pretty sure the rest of his points came off of close jumpers and free throws.

Cant wait till they play the US just should be interesting when he's playing against J'Oneal and Antonio Davis.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Personal Experience

I'm pretty big 6'4 and pretty strong (lift weights regularly) I equate to a Center in my circle. I do pretty well down low, but this one guy just pushes my around. Doesn't look like much bug he's built like a brick house. Can back me down like a mug. huge vert can block and quick. Oh yeah he's 5'6. So maybe the guy was just a beast.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't get why people are trying to downplay Ming's game. He is only 21 for Christ sake. You have to understand that he's not a dominant center yet, but he has all the tools to beocome one. BTW don't the 100% fg and 100%ft tell you something? The reason why the Chinese team lost so much is because the other players on the team sucked. You gotta understand that Ming was the whole team. 17 points, 5 rebs and 5 blks 100%fg seem damn pretty good for a 21 year old who just got into the NBA... I bet if China beat Canada, people wouldnt be here criticizing him. No doubt he needs to strengthen his upper body (He even admits it himself after the game!! and its a good sign because he knows what he has to work on). As he already has a pretty strong lower body which makes him incredibly agile for a 7'5 guy, the upper body strength is the only thing he has to work on. His shooting touch is amazing as shown in the game, so why not give him credit for that?? also he has nice post moves and alot of tricks down lowand he has good d. what else could you ask for from a 21 year old? Ming is used to the game in China which is alot less physical, so why not give him time instead of treating him like he has been on the league for 3 years?? Once he gets used to the US game, I wont be surprised if he puts up numbers like 18pts/11reb/2blks a game 40%3pt. IMO He will be the next Lafrentz except he's 6 inches taller.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Time Difference

I wonder why nobody noticed there are 14-hour time difference between Beijing and Vancouver. I know this is a little bit off topic. What I am trying to say is the Chinese team might actually a little better than the one that played the Canadians few days ago. They just got off the plane, had a merely one-day rest, then played the game. Don't you guys think that's a little bit too rush for them to adjust physically and mentally? There still are complaints about time-difference up to this point. Several Chinese players claimed that they woke up at the middle of the night and couldn't sleep well...

Just a little thought that I want to share with all of you...

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm sold on the idea that he'll be better then Shawn Bradley and that's all I'm asking for for the upcomining season. 17ppg and 5 blocks (who were they against) isn't bad 'specially when he just got off the plane a day before. Anyone know who's broadcasting China vs USA?

·
Registered
81 Posts
ESPN's report on the game confirms clutchcity.net's report, that Yao didn't take one J during the whole game. All his baskets were scored in the paint or on FT.

Bits of ESPN article:

"Yao scored seven points in the first half, three on foul shots, two on a turnaround and two on a crowd-pleasing dunk over Anderson the only time he managed to get himself open deep in the low post.

Yao muscled away a defender and freed himself for a 10-foot bank shot midway through the third quarter, and he converted his other three shots of the second half from in close."

Think about it, if Yao can make 100% of his J, then he probably doesn't need a post game. As it stands, it seems to me Yao is too long to be defended by the Canadians. Which is no surprise.

So what does this game tell us about Yao? Nothing we don't already know. He's not a beast. No one has ever said he'll be the next punisher. He's a tall freak with excellent offensive skill, and so far he has shown just that.

Is Yao going to be the best player in the 2002 draft? I don't think so. But out of all the draftees, is Yao the best fit for the Rockets? Hell Yeah.

Center is a rare commodity. If Yao can put up 14, 10, and 2+ blocks; then he'll probably be a top 5 center. An elite center is always worth the #1 pick.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts