Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really hope that Rudy will bite the bullet and just play him alot this year. I hope that he will start him as he will be a huge upgrade over Kelvin Cato. I think he should start him in game 1 against the Pacers and just let him get used to the NBA atmosphere immediately.

I also hope that Yao does not take the easy option and look to shoot jumpers instead of using his great height and huge frame to post up and score. it is understandable that in his rookie season that he could play passive and a little bit intimidated but he should come out hard and make a statement. Maybe if he gets the ball early look to dunk it and generate some aggresiveness within himself and with the team.

He needs to show a great presence on the court.With the lack of quality centres around the league this guy can dominate both now and in the future. So he needs to make people be aware that he is around. For example if he gets the chance to block a shot he should look to send it into the front row and make a statement that Yao Ming is in the NBA and he belongs!! He needs to use his 7"5 frame to his advantage and once again make people aware that he is around.Once he puts his arms in the air that is almost 10 feet tall and he needs to use this to smother offensive players on defense! He needs to use all the tools that he has been given!

He has been compared to Rik Smits and I think that this a reasonable comparison. Smits was not just a jump shooter he also had a reasonable post up game in his arsenal. Watching Ming in the Olympics last year he showed that he does not need to shoot jumpers to have an impact on games. If he has a career like Smits than I really think the Rockets would be staisfied with him.

He could take advantage of double teams with Francis, Mobley and Taylor . These three can flat out score. Say what you want about Taylor but he is a good offensive player who can score over quality NBA defenders. Maybe Ming can get free and score more frequently when the Rockets trio are getting close attention and focus?

Will he have a role in the Rockets offense?? Clearly it revolves around Francis and Mobley so what role will he play?? Will the Rockets run specific plays for Ming in his first season?? Can Taylor and Ming and Griffin form a huge front line and trouble other teams?? It looks promising!

He is going to be the most talked about rookie in the past few years and even if he does not play that well the future looks good for him!

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
I definitly agree with you. I think that he'll be a lot better then R. Smits, Ming should use his hight not just to dunk everytime, but even if he does that's what shaq used to do in his first years, then he developed his shot, and EVEN his FREE THROW shooting. I really heaven't seen Yao play, but whatever he is doing, he is doing it right, did you know that he shot 72% last season? I know it was in China, its not the NBA, and that there is no one to block him, but still 72% is better then some peoples FT%. From the little I saw at the camp/practice (or whatever it was) in Chicago I think that he moved very well for his size.

The Rockets have done the right thing in picking him. Jay Williams would not have gotten the minutes in Huston.

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
I agree with you 2 Ming will be alot better the Rick Smith which alot of people are compairin him too

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also agree that he will do well. I absolutely HATE it when people compare him to Shawn Bradley. The only similarity that they have is their height. He seems to have a very good attitude and a great approach to the game which will hopefully help him to thrive in the league.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ming's height alone...

Is going to get him some numbers. I mean just raising his arms up in the air, that is 10 feet tall so he is just about going to walk into blocks. He can get some rebounds just by reaching over the top of smaller guys.

How are other guys going to block his shot. I know all players get their shot blocked, but when Ming is fully extended that is close to 10 feet tall and that is almost unblockable in my opinion. If you do not get your shot blocked that can only mean increasing scoring capacity.

The difference between Ming and Bradley I think, is that Ming is more offensive orientated. I have only seen him in action at the Olympics, but I remember when Bradley came out, he was more of a defensive presence. But we need to think what the Rockets want from him. I think they took him for more of a defensive big man presence. They already will be able to score, with Francis, Mobley, Taylor and Griffin, but they needed a big guy in the middle to clog things up and stop guards penetrating and driving for uncontested layups. this is what killed the Rockets last year as Cato had a poor year and the Rockets were getting scored on by poor defensive sets. Here Ming can have an impact and be the gatekeeper in case any guards are able to get around Francis and Mobley. He needs to stop the penetration!

What other team can start a 7"5, a 6"9 and a 6"10 in their frontcourt. With Ming, Taylor and Griffin. So which other NBA team has defenders that can cope with these three guys height and strength?? Some teams might be able to cover them, but not with quality! Ming's presence alone can help Griffin develop and give the Rockets two solid shotblockers and defensive intimidators. Now if Griffin tries to block every shot he will have Ming down low to rebound or clean up, vice versa with Griffin.

Look Ming is going to be an upgrade over Cato and Collier. Their is no question about that. the Rockets could have easily thought that drafting Ming #1 would only cause problems, but they saw through all this contrctual garbage and wanted him for the future. Say what you want about Ming but he will have an impact on the NBA!! Remember nothing is easier than calling some guy a bust but if you cannot back it up than keep your lips and mouth sealed!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree with what you said kingofkings..... but although Ming has the height advantage and no doubt his precense will strengthen the defense of the rockets, don't you think that he would probably have trouble guarding bigger centers in the league? Right now Yao Ming is pretty weak compared to other centers in the NBA, so if he wants to make full use of his height and dominate at both ends of the court, he better start doing ALOT of lifting and increase his weight by at least 15-20 pounds. With the strength and height advantage, Yao will likely have a great impact on the league... could become one of the top2 centers in the L

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
This might suprise some of you: According to several chinese website and China's national coach, Yao is more of a defensive presence on Chinese national team. Wang will be the one who scores a lot but Yao will be use as a defensive weapon more often. That's why you don't see Yao put up great number scoring wise, and the main concern about him is he could be passive at times. The great thing is he realizes all of his weaknesses and is willing to work on it. Anyway, I don't think start him at the first day of next season is a good idea consider that he will missed much of the training camp!

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
re:

First of all Ming is most similar to Priest Lauderdale with an outside shot. Ming cannot blcok shots, 3.5 in the CBA means very few in the NBA. Wang Zhi Zhi who played in the more physical Red Army League averaged about 2 and he doesn't even average .25 blocks. Ming is felt as a pressence on D only becuase of his sheer size. Ming is a good perimeter play but likes the post, and he's going to be pushed around more than Eddie Griffin was, which was a lot. Also he is a weak rebounder. And the comparison to Smits is nuts, Smits used his length to rebound and block-shots and those are Ming's weaknesses and Ming has a short and narrow body. Also Taylor will start, Griffin is not even close to ready, he is an awefull decision-maker which can be seen through his shooting percentages (36%, 33% 3s) because he isn't
really a bad shooter. Griffin is also an awefull defensive player, he can block shots on the weak side but he's not quick or fast enough for SFs and he isn't strong enough and doesn't exert himself against PFs. Mobley is also a defensive liability and so is Taylor. Francis CAN get them into the playoffs in a year or two when Griffin can contribute, but the Rockets are too weak all-around defensively.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Well theres nothing wrong with 7'5 defensive-oriented center! Houston already has very good offensive players like Francis and Mobley to carry them and if Yao works on his game in the low post he could become a threat from anywhere on the floor. It's tuff to say how good he'll do this season as I myself have hardly seen him play but I think if he's lives up to his expectations Houston will become real good in 2 or 3 years.

·
Registered
7,590 Posts
Ming's height alone...
Is going to get him some numbers. I mean just raising his arms up in the air, that is 10 feet tall so he is just about going to walk into blocks. He can get some rebounds just by reaching over the top of smaller guys.
Not necessarily, look at Shawn Bradley....

I agree that he should definitely be played more than Griffin got last year.... great kingofkings, BTW;)

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
ming is bigger and heavier then the average center, so i dont know why people keep saying he'l get abused by the "bigger" centers

·
Registered
33 Posts
For his height, isn't he a bit light compared to other centers?
Mourning- 6'10 261 lbs
Shaq-7'1 310lbs
Ming-7'5 295lbs
you can also tell from the picture on nbadraft.net that his upper body needs to be stronger. In order to grab a rebound, you have to first off get into a good position. If you don't have the strength of other centers in the L, you'll get abused down the post, thats a fact. I like Ming, and i'm not saying that he's going to suck... but he really might have difficulty in adapting to the competitiveness of hte NBA in his first year. The main reason why he dominated the board in CBA is because the players he played against are ALOT weaker and much less explosive than players in the NBA. Thus with his height, Ming can get 30 boards a night easily against CHinese players. Also, I saw Ming play before... he's really good, even tho he's very soft for a center, but i'm a fan of Ming, I hope once he gets enough strength and knowledge about the NBA game, he can dominate the L like shaq did.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Re: re:

Originally posted by <b>TheGoods</b>!
Ming is a good perimeter play but likes the post, and he's going to be pushed around more than Eddie Griffin was, which was a lot. Also he is a weak rebounder. And the comparison to Smits is nuts. Also Taylor will start, Griffin is not even close to ready, he is an awefull decision-maker which can be seen through his shooting percentages (36%, 33% 3s) because he isn't
really a bad shooter. Griffin is also an awefull defensive player, he can block shots on the weak side but he's not quick or fast enough for SFs and he isn't strong enough and doesn't exert himself against PFs. Francis CAN get them into the playoffs in a year or two when Griffin can contribute, but the Rockets are too weak all-around defensively.
What games were you watching last year. if you knew the GOODS you would know that when Eddie started playing no PF or SF who he was sticking where having big games on him Period. He blocks a ton of shots and he is ready to contribute. He will definitley play a bigger role with the ROCKTES this season

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Re: Ming's height alone...

Originally posted by <b>kingofkings</b>!
What other team can start a 7"5, a 6"9 and a 6"10 in their frontcourt. With Ming, Taylor and Griffin.
Dallas is going to start Dirk, Raef, and Bradley this season. That would be 7'0", 6'11", and 7'6". do you know that's almost 21 and a half feet of front court???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts