Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Shaq or Yao?

• I want Shaq

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • I want Ming

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • I dont want either! Shaq is a cancer to the team and Ming is too much of a pansy!

Votes: 2 5.4%

Yao Or Shaq?

1K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  FloridaSportsFan 
#1 ·
If you had a choice not only for just right now, but for the future as well, who would you take? Yao or Shaq, ill give Shaq a good 2 years and a moderate 2 after that... Ming has his whole career ahead of him...this is assuming Yao wanted to come to LA as a free agent and you could resign Shaq therefore losing out on Ming because of money...

#8 ·
I'll take Shaq.

Shaq is a proven, consistent, and dominant center, who has lead a team to multiple championships. Everyone knows Shaq can do that, because he has done it.

Yao has the potential to be a dominant center, but he doesn't have the consistency now, maybe because of his age. No one knows if Yao can lead a team to a championship, because he hasn't done it. Plus, I don't think Yao can be as dominant as Shaq is/was, since there have only been a handful of players as dominant as Shaq.

It's a pretty simple logic for me.

PS - Why not put this in the NBA forum?

#9 ·
Replacing Yao with Shaq right now would yield exactly 0 titles for the next 3 years in the most likely scenario. Keeping Shaq gives the Lakers a great chance at a title this year and a title for at least one more year after that if Kobe stays, and maybe a 6th if Shaq is just about as dominant at age 33/34 as he is now at age 31.

Then again, it also depends on how much Yao develops the next few years. I have my doubts that he'll be no more than a top 2 or 3 center in the league for some time, and that's in a league with very very few good centers.

#10 ·
This is a no brainer. Yao is one of the most precious commodities in the entire NBA, the only players I would consider trading him for are Tim Duncan and LeBron James. Not only does he have the potential to dominate like few others have done before (one of those being Shaq), he is a marketing godsend who puts behinds in seats.

I think it's been all downhill for Shaq since 2001. The Lakers managed to squeak by in 2002 with another ring, but I don't see them winning another one with Kobe-and-Shaq as their centerpiece. Kobe-and-Yao, certainly.

#11 ·
I think it's been all downhill for Shaq since 2001. The Lakers managed to squeak by in 2002 with another ring,
The Lakers did spank the Nets in the finals that season. The Lakers didn't win last year, and they played great when healthy, so it's not like the Lakers have been going down hill.

Not only does he have the potential to dominate like few others have done before (one of those being Shaq), he is a marketing godsend who puts behinds in seats.

Doesn't Shaq but behinds in the seats? And would you rather have the better player, or the one "who puts behinds in the seats"?

#12 ·
Originally posted by <b>ArtestFan</b>!
Not only does he have the potential to dominate like few others have done before (one of those being Shaq), he is a marketing godsend who puts behinds in seats.
Shaq in his rookie season would easily dominate Yao in his present state. I see no way Yao ends his career widely known as a dominant player either way.

I think it's been all downhill for Shaq since 2001. The Lakers managed to squeak by in 2002 with another ring, but I don't see them winning another one with Kobe-and-Shaq as their centerpiece. Kobe-and-Yao, certainly.
:laugh:

Take a poll of GMs and ask them who is more likely to win 3 titles in the next 3 years, Kobe-Shaq or Kobe-Yao. I'll take that over "potential".

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Originally posted by <b>longlivelal</b>!
then i would look at other options before a 7'5 *edited* guy
Good Lord, Mr. S.:no:

#14 ·
If I was just starting off a franchise, I'd take Yao. Simply because his contract is much smaller than Shaq's, and he'll be around longer.

If we are asking who is better...it's Shaq by a LOOOOOOOONG mile.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
*edited*

the kid is 14 years old... *edited* i'm hardly surprised by that rediculous comment

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
for the 2 years id take shaq
then i would look at other options before a 7'5 guy
*edit* :yes:

But someone said you were 14 so you still have time to learn.

no name calling, thanks.

#21 ·
Definetely Shaq, although Yao had 37 and 10 last night...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.