Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
15 STRONG
27,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watch ESPN tonight so they can rip him apart like they did to Kellen Winslow when he referred to him and his teammates as "soldiers"....

no wait--they won't say anything about it...remember when I said there are biases around the media against certain teams/schools

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Again. The reason Kellen Winslow got ripped apart was because he sounded like an idiot and the climate in the country was much diffrent then. But mostly because he was ranting and raving and sounding like an immature idiot.

I can pretty much guarantee that no one is going to rip Yao for much of anything. Have you ever heard Yao ranting and raving?

Notice, neither Lebron or Yao were yelling and screaming at cameras.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Originally posted by <b>futuristxen</b>!
Notice, neither Lebron or Yao were yelling and screaming at cameras.
Amen.

Winslow even said "You all can write this down because I don't give a ...."

That was probably one of the most defiant and misguided moments in recent sports I can recall.

LeBron and Yao said it and left it at that. But Winslow not only said it, his behavior and rant basically can be taken as "Yeah, I said it and what are you going to do about it? I don't care, I really don't."

If you can make a case for LeBron and Yao even being HALF as defiant as Winslow was, I'm all ears.

·
Tru Warier
13,699 Posts
There are no biases. There is nothing to hate about Yao. People complain about him playing the game too softly, having too much respect for his fellow players... now he wants to try to take things a little more seriously, and you start complaining about his one little remark... gimme a break!

·
15 STRONG
27,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha Wow

if you just hate winslow to hate him, then your bias ruins the argument

he was upset after losing 2 games in a row, he rightfully should be pissed.

there shouldnt have been reporters in the locker room anyways--name other times when you've seen interviews from a college locker room...

they said the same thing---but the media chooses who to punish basically

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
I wonder if people are really surprised by these kinds of statements. The pressure from contracts, fans, coaches, media etc. coupled w/ the intense competition on the court, you probably have to have that mentality if you are to be successful at that high a level.

Although some comments may be insensitive to real soldiers that have served their country (like Winslow), I think they have to carry the same attitude - at least during the game.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Caron_Butler</b>!
No they didn't.

LeBron and Yao didn't go into a rant talking about killing your opponents, fear of your opponents killing you and having no remorse for hurting people. Winslow was acting paranoid and said "he was going to do it to me."

Minus the rants, minus the screaming, minus the anger, then yes... it's the same thing.

But that's having to cut out a lot just to make all the cases even comparable to one another.

·
15 STRONG
27,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bias, nuff said

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RebelSun</b>!
Although some comments may be insensitive to real soldiers that have served their country (like Winslow), I think they have to carry the same attitude - at least during the game.
I wasn't really offended by Winslow's comments but then again I'm not a soldier. I don't really care what people say in interviews most of the time. Most athletes are so damn boring and PC these days. I could probably coax a better interview out of a brick wall than Tim Duncan. I actually don't mind Winslow because he expresses his true feelings, no matter how dumb they are. His interview looked really bad because of his tone during the interview and his reputation for being a "hothead". I like Winslow but he acted without thinking in this instance. Yao is held to a different standard, largely because of his laid back nature and squeaky clean reputation. I didn't hear the interview but I cant see Yao ranting and raving like Winslow did. I'm also willing to cut him some slack because he's not from this country and doesn't speak perfect English. This "war on terror" probably doesn't mean anything to Yao. He's here to play basketball, nothing more. Even if Winslow doesn't feel strongly about this war, being raised in this country he should know better. Also, I'm guessing Yao said this in Chinese rather than English. It's possible that the word he was using meant "war" but had a totally different conotation in Chinese than it does in English.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
bias, nuff said
These incidents are not exactly the same. More to the point, they are vastly different. Winslow was not criticized solely for the soldier comment. In fact, his RANT is where most of the criticism came from. Calling yourself a soldier is one thing. All people can do is laugh and say "He thinks he is a soldier." But if you talk about how you kill people and what not, then call yourself a solider, the whole soldier comment will be taken differently (when in reference to the rant, makes the soldier comment much more serious).

·
15 STRONG
27,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
do you really think when he said "kill" he meant he was going to kill someone on the field?

Never before this interview has the word "kill" been used in a non-deadly way?

Lets see...

1. Player A to opponent "We're gonna kill you guys tonight" during pregame

2. The Heat got killed in the paint.

3. LeBron is killing us out there.

come on now...

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
do you really think when he said "kill" he meant he was going to kill someone on the field?
That's the whole problem. Winslow was so ANGRY, even I (a fan of his) wondered what spell he was under and couldn't fully tell if he was JOKING or not. He had more fury than a prize fighter going out to the ring. I'm sorry he was misunderstood but he certainly didn't help matters with his behavior. Much like an old saying goes "It's not just what you say, but how you say it."

·
Premium Member
12,113 Posts
haha Wow

if you just hate winslow to hate him, then your bias ruins the argument

he was upset after losing 2 games in a row, he rightfully should be pissed.

there shouldnt have been reporters in the locker room anyways--name other times when you've seen interviews from a college locker room...

Im sure reporters are normally in the locker rooms, but KW gave them a reason to put something on tv.

·
15 STRONG
27,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
haters, nuff said

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
No, you're just trying to be difficult.

There is a big difference between what Yao and Lebron said and what Winslow said. If you can't see that you are retarded.

Winslow's didn't get heat for saying he was a soldier, he got it for yelling it maniacally and seeming pleased with himself for hurting someone. He threw a temper tantrum in the media, that's where the criticism came from.

·
15 STRONG
27,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by <b>Mike luvs KG</b>!
No, you're just trying to be difficult.

There is a big difference between what Yao and Lebron said and what Winslow said. If you can't see that you are retarded.

Winslow's didn't get heat for saying he was a soldier, he got it for yelling it maniacally and seeming pleased with himself for hurting someone. He threw a temper tantrum in the media, that's where the criticism came from.
That is completely false---he got all the heat for callin himself a soldier. Thats what all the media talked about. It was "disrespectful to our soldiers".

He was pleased he hurt someone? My memory might be rough about this but if you are referring to the game (which might have been Tennessee) where he threw a beautiful, clean block on a DB who was going after Payton and then celebrated that block, not knowing that he was hurt, then its the same game that he appologized afterwards. The same thing happened last year in the title game, Will Allen celebrated after the hit on McGahee and later appologized b/c he didn't know he was hurt.

And to say he threw a temper tantrum is stupid, he was pissed about losing. I wish more people had the attitude where losing is unacceptable...

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
No, he threw a temper tantrum, whether or not he was pissed about loosing is irrelevant, if you carry on like that in the media you are going to get heat. And again, he didn't get heat for saying he was a solider, he got if for yelling it maniacally.

Kellen Winslow:
It's war, they're out there to kill you, so I'm out there to kill them. We don't care about anybody but this U. They're going after my legs. I'm going to come right back at them. I'm a ****ing soldier.
Yao and Lebron didn't say they were out there to kill anyone and didn't yell "I'm a ****ing soldier". The rest of the quote is in reference to hurting someone, which he clearly didn't care about. And it wasn't even just the things he said, it was the way he said them.

Yao and Lebron said the words "war" and "soldier" but said them in passing. Winslow elaborated on the whole deal, said he was out there to kill people, and basically carried on like a jack***.

I realize you are a Miami slappy, but seriously, enough of the ridiculous indignation.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts