Celtics 1.14.04
21 pts, 15 reb, 4 blk

Wolves 1.17.04
22 pts, 15 reb, 2 blk

Grizzlies 1.19.04
13 pts, 6 reb, 2 blk

Knicks 1.21.04
29 pts, 10 reb, 1 blk

There you have it, Yao Ming is finally showing some consistency, and when he scores big, the Rockets WIN. In the last 5 games, every time Yao scored more than 20 points the Rockets have won. He has tended to score in bunches, putting up 10-14 points in a quarter then fading away for a while but we are getting a clear glimpse at the franchise of the Rockets.

Since Gumby criticized Yao's timidness in the paint, Yao has become pretty ferocious in the paint and his dominance is what has helped Rockets pull ahead or put opponents away. He has a variety of offensive arsenal, from hitting an 18 footer to the unblockable fadeaway. Can create his own shot, but it's difficult when you have one guy elbowing you in the back and another hanging off your arm. He's earning plenty of respect from officials though, and will soon start getting plenty of calls.

The reason I see Yao being such a big threat in the future, though, is because of what he has left to learn. For a big center who isn't very athletic, positioning is key to scoring/rebounding/2nd chance opportunities. Once Yao is in that 6 ft radius around the basket, he almost always scores. But when Yao gets tired, his whole game leaves him. He struggles to get off the ground and run the floor, and remains idle on offense. He'll try to set a screen then get the hell out of Stevie's way. But experience will play a big factor in Yao Ming's game and soon the Rockets will be able to drop the ball down to him in the clutch, and won't have to stand the sight of Stevie throwing up whatever he can muster.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
he's a true impact player and there arent many. if you look at the way he shuts down the lane against opposing offenses you realize his value to the rockets. i was really surprised the way they looked against the t-wolves. i havent seen anyone make garnett look small out there in quite awhile. as for yao's so called lack of athletecism i think his hands and footwork would say otherwise, but i know what you're saying. i dont believe there are any more than a couple of players in the league that the rockets would trade for this guy. maybe not even that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Although Yao doesn't put up as big numbers as Shaq, I think that he's probably the best centre in the NBA right now. Undoubtedly he has the most skill in the league. Leave him open anywhere on the court and he'll score for you. His turnaround fadeaway jumper is impossible to block. Other good centres include Shaq, Dampier and probably Magloire, but in my opinion none of them match up to Yao. Probably the only point of improvement for him is to be more aggressive so he can grab more boards and block more shots.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
yao will never be better than shaq, he is probably the distant second best center in the league right now. He is skilled but too soft on the glass this guy shoyld lead the NBA in rebounding. Shaq's stats are not that high because of he constant triple teams and hacking that he takes, Yao ming does not command that attention yet. Till he does shaq is still the man at the center positon,.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Originally posted by <b>kg_mvp03-04</b>!
yao will never be better than shaq, he is probably the distant second best center in the league right now. He is skilled but too soft on the glass this guy shoyld lead the NBA in rebounding. Shaq's stats are not that high because of he constant triple teams and hacking that he takes, Yao ming does not command that attention yet. Till he does shaq is still the man at the center positon,.
If you don't think Yao gets constant double and triple teams then you have not seen him play much this year.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I'm happy.. I've always loved this guy... It's simple.. give him the ball plenty and u will win...generally when he takes lots of shots(more than 10 at least) he plays great, and take also rebounds(the 2 things are connected: if they give him the ball he will be more motivated on the boards)..
The team depends on Yao, the franchise player... and remember, he is playing in the west, and gets double and triple teams at his second year in the league... are u jokin?? This is a phenomen..

·
Registered
505 Posts
Originally posted by <b>The Franchise</b>!
In the last 5 games, every time Yao scored more than 20 points the Rockets have won.
Yao had 17 pts and thr Rockets won a close one by 4 pts tonight...

Originally posted by <b>ostertag-fan</b>!
I'd still take Jay Williams #1. jk. But Yao is tearin it up..
.....:|

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Kyakko</b>!
Yao 35pts now in the third quarter! He is DOMINATING Orlando's centers. Magic's must be thanking god they have T-Mac
Mr. Jiggyfly I have good news..

You enjoyed it then?

No, I just saved 150$ by switching to Geico.

Zaza isn't getting any respect.. he got called for holding yao back...its like how shaq never gets called for a foul when he runs someone over and gets a call going his way..;)

other than that..yao can shoot..he reminds me of tim duncan..

·
MVP
8,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Playing very very aggressive, Magic have begun to triple team him now. And for once the Rockets have been throwing it down to him on each and every single posession. Such dominance like this has not been seen... since Shaq. Granted, Andrew DeClerq is guarding him.

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Kyakko</b>!
Yao 35pts now in the third quarter! He is DOMINATING Orlando's centers. Magic's must be thanking god they have T-Mac
When Yao decides he wants to score, there's nothing anyone can do about it. He's been much more assertive recently and he is putting up some serious numbers.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Orlando has centers?

·
Tru Warier
13,699 Posts
btw how come no one's started a Yao Ming fan club yet on bbnet?? I'd start one but I dunno how....

·
Premium Member
6,144 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BigAmare</b>!
Orlando has centers?

The Suns dont have great powerforwards either, even on the injury list.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
What does that have to do with anything?

The Suns have Amare Stoudemire at PF and McDyess recovering, I would say that is pretty damn good.

Go back to the "nickel"-Forums.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Originally posted by <b>John</b>!
The Suns dont have great powerforwards either, even on the injury list.
Oh, I forgot Amare is a point guard :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts