Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Not Just Dumb, Aggie Dumb
18,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im watching the GSW/Dal game and j-rich just threw down a monstrous dunk. would've easily posterized the best defenders in the league, except he didnt get to posterize anyone because when dirk saw him coming, he sorta slid out of the way. i saw that and thought "that was kinda a ***** move." But then i thought about some more and though, just about any defender in the league would have done that. But then, i thought, yao would've stood their and got posterized. (btw i didnt spend a lot of time thinking about it, it was about 30 seconds, it just looks longer in writing)

I dont think a lot of non-rocket fans realize that yao contests every shot and thats why he gets posterized. even if he isnt getting 5 blocks a game, people who dont watch the game dont get to see the amount of shots he changes, no matter how cliche that sounds. even if you look at the plays hes been dunked on, he is still contesting them all the way through. like the stromile dunk, at least yao made sure to give stromile a face full of yao arm. compare that to kobe over dwight or tmac over shawn bradley where the guys try to duck out of the way when someone comes flying at them.

i remember during that nets game a month ago when i spent some time losing a bet over there, i remember reading some posts about how the nets players were reluctant to go to the rim when yao was in the lane. and this isnt something new for yao like his post all star increase in stats. he has been doing this since he joined the league (and probably before that in china). but some people either dont get to see him play, refuse to actually observe whats going on in the games they watch, are too obsessed with block numbers, or just too busy plain hatin' to realize it. those are the people who were claiming the camby was leagues ahead of yao defensively earlier this season.

i know a lot of this hate has gone away (or just hiding since they realize everyone will call them out if they try to hate), but it is a shame that he needs to score more than 25 pts a game before people starting believing that he wasnt soft or played with heart.

at least we will always know we were fans before the bandwagon.

and now that im done typing, i dont remember what the original topic was.

· Registered
5,781 Posts
Pimped Out said:
and now that im done typing, i dont remember what the original topic was.
I think it was about how Dirk Nowitzki is soft and hasn't improved as much defensively as Mavs fans would have you believe. Right?

Yao is only a slightly worse defender than Camby. Although the progress in his offensive game has been a little jerky, his defense has been steadily improving ever since he entered the league. I'm not just saying that. You can see it.

Shaq? He was supposed to turn into a better defender than he eventually became. He didn't improve a whole lot after his rookie season. And he has always been afraid of being posterized, so he doesn't contest people who go strong when there's little chance of a block. He even said as much in his first autobiography: "I don't need that. Not the Shaq Attack."

But even if you can't get the block, contesting it is sometimes enough to force a miss. You need to do that. Yao does it.

· I'm too sexy for ya.
2,089 Posts
Yeah, I love that about Yao, he's relentless. He doesn't stop working, most players would be like, "Hey, that's a dunk, it's not like he's going to miss," and they move away. Yao can change those shots by intimidation. But I hate it when he just has his hands up and a player runs into him and he gets called for the defensive foul.

· Registered
19,436 Posts
Looks like more and more people are starting to realize. I never rip into a guy for being dunked on, unless the player tries to duck like Shawn Bradley or pulls a Weiss. At least Yao contests. I'd rather have that than a guy who steps away. Blame ESPN and streetball for making that seem bad.

· Registered
1,285 Posts
I'm curious as to whether or not Yao gets a little cash out of the posters he's in. I mean, I'd be telling McGrady and Skip to let the J-Richs and Vince Carters get a clear lane at the basket if I was getting paid for getting the facial.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.