Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't mean to over kill the whole Yay or Nay thing, but Chillz has been playing lights out as of late and I remember EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE, saying he was the most likely to be a bust. But he's playing awesome now.

In Month Of March: 14.7 PPG, 7.3 RPG, 2.1 APG, 1.22 SPG

And he is definately a Small Forward right now, not a Shooting Guard which is where the Hawks are starting him at now. He is a much, much better scorer from the 3 spot. Not sure if he is still growing into the 2 guard position, or if he'll always be a 3. I don't have the exact stats, but he has to be averaging over 16PPG at Forward. I think he's going to be a pretty good scorer in his prime, somewhere around Richard Hamilton and Paul Pierce.

Will Childress be a bust? Yay or Nay?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I've never seen him hit a jumpshot at the NBA level. He still has a lot of work to do. Never should have come out this early.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike luvs KG said:
I've never seen him hit a jumpshot at the NBA level. He still has a lot of work to do. Never should have come out this early.
I think you're confusing Josh Childress with Josh Smith. Or at least, it sounds like it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I never thought he would be a bust but I felt that he was taken to early but he is going to be a pretty good player.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
I think he'll be a disappointment for his draft slot. I'm a Stanford fan and didn't think Childress should have gone so high in the draft. He's a nice player, but I think he'll be like an offensive version of Shane Battier: not worth his draft slot, but an athletic and useful reserve.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I never thought he'd be a bust, I always thought he could be a good supporting/role player, and thats still what I see in him. He could turn into a 20 ppg scorer on the Hawks, but that would probably be among his best scoring seasons, I don't see him as a huge offensive threat. I like the offensive version of Shane Battier comparison.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ps!ence_Fiction said:
I never thought he'd be a bust, I always thought he could be a good supporting/role player, and thats still what I see in him. He could turn into a 20 ppg scorer on the Hawks, but that would probably be among his best scoring seasons, I don't see him as a huge offensive threat. I like the offensive version of Shane Battier comparison.
Yeah, that's how I see him being too. 20PPG, 6 RPG, 3 APG. Something along those lines, give or take a few. Definately NOT a bust.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
TheATLien said:
Yeah, that's how I see him being too. 20PPG, 6 RPG, 3 APG. Something along those lines, give or take a few. Definately NOT a bust.
I think he could do that on a team like the Hawks since they have no other offense, but I don't see him averaging that for more then one season, and if he does, I don't think it'll be for that long, I see him more as a high-teens scorer, around 17 ppg

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
Minstrel said:
I think he'll be a disappointment for his draft slot. I'm a Stanford fan and didn't think Childress should have gone so high in the draft. He's a nice player, but I think he'll be like an offensive version of Shane Battier: not worth his draft slot, but an athletic and useful reserve.
Hey Stanford fan, will you buy a Matt Haryasz jersey? :D

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Budweiser_Boy said:
Hey Stanford fan, will you buy a Matt Haryasz jersey? :D
Sure, I'll hang it next to my Mark Madsen jersey. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,260 Posts
I like the comparison that someone made to Battier. I think Childress wasn't a bad pick, but he was a safe pick. Childress is someone that has the skills already to stick around and be a good player in the league for years. Nothing flashy or terrific, but a good player to have as a role player or third option.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
i'm happy for josh! i really want him to do well... considering he went to the highschool i'm attending to right now... anyway i haven't really seen him play all that much, but he's a good player. if he stays a hawk, i think he'd be a consistent good player. if he goes to a better contender team, i'd say he'd be a really good bench player. who can bring something to the team...

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
6th picks:
Chris Kaman
Dajaun Wagner
Shane Battier
DerMarr Johnson
Wally Szczerbiak
Robert Traylor
Ron Mercer
Antoine Walker
Bryant Reeves
Sharone Wright
Calbert Cheaney

There is this misconception that drafts produce all these great players. I don't think Childress will be a bust, because I think he'll be better than atleast half of those guys are/were. There will always be guys who are drafted out of the top 10 that become better players than a couple of the top 10 players, it doesn't mean that those players are busts.

I like his game, I think he can be like a TayShaun Prince, which is a good roleplayer. If you get a good roleplayer at the 6th pick, you should be satisfied.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
KokoTheMonkey said:
For being the 6th pick, I don't think think he will be considered a "big" bust, unless the guys drafted above him really turn into stars.
Howard, Okafor, Gordon, Livingston, Deng

Uh oh

·
Premium Member
8,260 Posts
Nimreitz said:
Howard, Okafor, Gordon, Livingston, Deng

Uh oh
By above, I think he meant after Childress. There are more than a few players drafted after 6 who are looking pretty damn good. I still don't think Childress will be a bad pick because he's going to be a good player for many years.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Yay, when the year first started I was disapointed in his performances, but lately he has stepped it up and is playing good basketball. I'm not sure if I agree with his him being picked so high, but as a rookie I think he's doing well and will develop into a solid player.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
I don't think he'll be a bust. I think he'll be a very good starter for many years. I think our expectations of draft picks have gotten way too high. We all expect anyone taken in the top 15 to become superstars, which just doesn't happen. Getting a solid starter anywhere in the first round is more than a lot of teams can claim. And if Josh Smith becomes a superstar, then Atlanta's draft could be considered especially exceptional. Reece Gaines is a bust. Josh Childress won't be.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts