Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

"As we get closer to the trading deadline, I'm going to speak less of trades, because it really is unsettling to the players to continue to hear their names mentioned. We're trying to conduct business behind closed doors. When you have trade discussions, somehow or another they occasionally leak out, but we don't want to be the source of those leaks."
About time! :clap:

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
See... adults are capable of learning :rofl:

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Looks like this board is going to suffer a bit

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by <b>SheedSoNasty</b>!
Looks like this board is going to suffer a bit
:confused: You mean because of, now, no potential rumors being bandied about in light of Nash's (former) speculations?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Have you guys even considered the possibility that Nash's willingness to discuss his "communication with other teams" is because Blazer fans felt, and voiced, that they disliked Whitsitt's arrogance and unwillingness to give fans even a morsel of information? I have a feeling Nash will not always be this open about potential deals. I think he was just trying to make nice with the fans and media.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
I agree completely with PF. Nash is doing the things that our local media CRITICZED Whitsitt for not doing, that being more open to discussions regarding the roster and potential moves.

Personally, I don't think Nash has done anything wrong. Is he wrong in saying that they are looking to shake some things up? IS he wrong in stating that they would be open to a deal that MEETS their stated goals? I don't think so...Look at the performance of our team....some changes DO need to be made, and whatever Mo's shortcomings as a coach are, all of POR ill's won't be miraculously cured by his removal. It is the players who have more to do with our performance than the coach, Cheeks isn't helping matters, but he is not the main reason for our dismal play of late.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Kmurph</b>!
I agree completely with PF. Nash is doing the things that our local media CRITICZED Whitsitt for not doing, that being more open to discussions regarding the roster and potential moves.

Personally, I don't think Nash has done anything wrong. Is he wrong in saying that they are looking to shake some things up? IS he wrong in stating that they would be open to a deal that MEETS their stated goals? I don't think so...Look at the performance of our team....some changes DO need to be made, and whatever Mo's shortcomings as a coach are, all of POR ill's won't be miraculously cured by his removal. It is the players who have more to do with our performance than the coach, Cheeks isn't helping matters, but he is not the main reason for our dismal play of late.
How can you say NASH is not wrong in telling everybody and there mother about potential trades that can disrupt the whole team by saying you can be shipped anytime. I mean talk about mental distress that isnt needed.

Also Cheeks is to blame for the last couple close losses the guy does not know how to sub period nor does he know when to take Damon out which is causing like last night a loss becasu damon gave the guy he was defending free points all night.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I'm glad to hear he might stop talking quite so much about trades. While it's all good and fun for messageboard fodder, it is demoralizing to the players. You may not think they should be demoralized by it, but they will be. Try announcing at your office that there will "probably be a 10 to 30 percent reduction in force sometime soon" and see what it does to morale. Or even better, "we plan on firing you soon, we just don't when". Don't say it until you're really going to do it.

No wonder you get an angry "just CTC" type comment. Be glad he didn't share the root passwords or security design flaws with his closest 100 internet friends. Oh wait, that was, uh, somebody else.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Originally posted by <b>FeloniusThunk</b>!
I'm glad to hear he might stop talking quite so much about trades. While it's all good and fun for messageboard fodder, it is demoralizing to the players. You may not think they should be demoralized by it, but they will be. Try announcing at your office that there will "probably be a 10 to 30 percent reduction in force sometime soon" and see what it does to morale. Or even better, "we plan on firing you soon, we just don't when". Don't say it until you're really going to do it.

No wonder you get an angry "just CTC" type comment. Be glad he didn't share the root passwords or security design flaws with his closest 100 internet friends. Oh wait, that was, uh, somebody else.
Yeah if someone with authority in an office or factory did that it would be devastating.

The comparison is not correct however.

A more similar example would be:

A large, national corporation's executive gathers a group of very highly compensated sales managers and says, "due to declining productivity and this summer's new management code, we are looking at making changes. Of course, none of you with guaranteed contracts will lose jobs, but may be transferred to another office. We are looking to shake things up and will continue to do so until we succeed in our goals."

The sales managers already knew the speech was coming, and frankly would expect nothing less. If they didn't receive such a speech soon, you would find the best, most talented sales managers start leaving whenever and however they could. And any that were unable to leave due to contracts would often develop into lame ducks, many of whom are underperforming cancers until they leave.

Rasheed's "CTC" comment is his way of noting that the NBA as a whole can be likened to a large corporation with each team as a branch office. Players of Rasheed's caliber (starters with long careers) may get sent to several "offices" in their career, but SOMEBODY in the NBA is going to pay them.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
It doesn't really matter why Nash is/was doing it... it's presented an aura of hopelessness around the team and franchise as a whole that hasn't been present in years (in spite of constant naysaying by a faction of fans and media). This aura of negativity has, IMO, adversely affected the on-court performance and off-court communications of current players.

Making a trade or trades might be the right thing to do, but talking about specific players and about an eagerness to make changes is not wise IMO.

Ed O.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
How can you say NASH is not wrong in telling everybody and there mother about potential trades that can disrupt the whole team by saying you can be shipped anytime. I mean talk about mental distress that isnt needed.
Boo hoo...Seriously, I am sick and tired of players using the excuse of trade rumours as the reason for their horrible play. It is a cop out, nothing more. IF there were NO trade rumours and Nash came out and categorically stated there would be no trades, the players would have ANOTHER convenient excuse to blame for their poor play. Quitters quit and Winners win, and POR has a bunch of quitters as far as I am conncerned. Some players work hard to EARN playing time when it seems they cannot get off the bench, others sulk. Some players give 100% effort every night, regardless of "trade rumours" or whatever else may be swirling around the team, others quit. Which ones do you think represents most of our players? The former or the latter? Excuses are apparently all that many of our players are good at.

Also Cheeks is to blame for the last couple close losses the guy does not know how to sub period nor does he know when to take Damon out which is causing like last night a loss becasu damon gave the guy he was defending free points all night.
Do not mistake me here, Cheeks is not a good coach. However he is not the MAIN reason for our terrible play of late either. Like I said, he isn't helping matters, but the main responsibility ALWAYS lies on the shoulders of the players. ALWAYS...

Try announcing at your office that there will "probably be a 10 to 30 percent reduction in force sometime soon" and see what it does to morale. Or even better, "we plan on firing you soon, we just don't when". Don't say it until you're really going to do it.
A large, national corporation's executive gathers a group of very highly compensated sales managers and says, "due to declining productivity and this summer's new management code, we are looking at making changes. Of course, none of you with guaranteed contracts will lose jobs, but may be transferred to another office. We are looking to shake things up and will continue to do so until we succeed in our goals."
Again, and I have been in such a meeting before, when faced with a situation like this there are two types of people IMO, those who quit, saying to themselves "Why should I help these guys who may lay me off anyway" or those whom decide to BUST A$$ and make it HARD for management TO fire\move them. THOSE are the type of people you want working for you, the others just prove by their actions that they were not worth keeping anyway.

But this is basketball not "REAL LIFE" we are talking about here. Is Sheed getting fired? Is his $17million this year at risk? But yet, as the 4th highest paid player in the NBA, he (nor several other players as well) cannot apparently find the STRENGTH inside himself to compete and focus. Typical of the type of attitudes and problems plaguing this team at present. Sheed and several other players are just proving why POR does not need them in the first place.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
I agree with Ed, but at the same time I think there is more to Nash and what he is saying than what we all suspect on the surface. Or rather more to his intent.

To some extent he may be testing the waters to see how certain players deal witrh rumors. Do they Grit their teeth and play with the "You ain't trading me" mentality or do they sulk and play with "If you don't want me I won't play hard for you".

In a way he would be getting a general feel for the mentality of this team.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Boo hoo...Seriously, I am sick and tired of players using the excuse of trade rumours as the reason for their horrible play. It is a cop out, nothing more. IF there were NO trade rumours and Nash came out and categorically stated there would be no trades, the players would have ANOTHER convenient excuse to blame for their poor play. Quitters quit and Winners win, and POR has a bunch of quitters as far as I am conncerned. Some players work hard to EARN playing time when it seems they cannot get off the bench, others sulk. Some players give 100% effort every night, regardless of "trade rumours" or whatever else may be swirling around the team, others quit. Which ones do you think represents most of our players? The former or the latter? Excuses are apparently all that many of our players are good at.

How is saying u are leavin the place u live a cop out especially when NASH is always saying your name saying yea we must trade him our phone lines are open so call us blah blah. I mean they do have family's , they are NORMAL people like u and me and have feelings and go through stress.

If u were in the workplace and your boss was telling everybody u are Pretty much garbage to the team and dont worry u will be transferred soon, would u want to Work hard for him? IMO NO.

I just wish NASH would keep his trap closed like EVERY OTHER GM DOES from the start of the season. I mean I know trades are needed but dont make the organization feel like crap.

Finally Crappy play comes from a poor COACH, I mean its funny Wes says there is 4 plays..Hmm...Do u think our playbook is easy to plan for..i mean they run the same stuff every game..Nuthin new. Also we have had Players get hot in close games but CHEEKS always pulls them out once they get a rythm which cools them down. Another thing is WHY he gives DAMOn so much time makes me sick..he played 42 min while JEFF played like 27 and wes got 5 and DA with i think 27 so he split time between DA and Jeff and gave no love to WES which is horrible.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I couldn't agree more. You touch upon something that I think is very important for people to understand. Yes, I would agree that trade speculation can effect the aura of a locker room, but what does it say about a player when the speculation negatively effects their play? Put simply, would trade speculation negatively effect the “winners” of the league? Would trade speculation surrounding KG, Duncan, TMac etc...etc... really effect their play? Wouldn't a winner come out swinging night in and night out? I tend to think so. It's the losers of this world, and of the NBA, that will come out and sulk and feel like the big victim. Unfortunately for the Blazers and their fans, that's what Sheed is. A loser. And he's proving it right now.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by <b>The Professional Fan</b>!

Yes, I would agree that trade speculation can effect the aura of a locker room, but what does it say about a player when the speculation negatively effects their play?
On the other hand, if the players are strongly sensing a, "we're trading somebody, and we're continuing to turn over rocks until we determine who..." situation, I think the team focus (performance?) just might suffer a little more - as a whole, that is......

·
Registered
936 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ABM</b>!

On the other hand, if the players are strongly sensing a, "we're trading somebody, and we're continuing to turn over rocks until we determine who..." situation, I think the team focus (performance?) just might suffer a little more - as a whole, that is......
Sure, that makes sense. However, I think Wallace KNOWS he's gone. Him specifically. Just a hunch here, but I'm guessing his agent has told him he's either lined up for a deal right now, or will inevitably be traded by the deadline. I don't know this for sure, but that's my speculation. Plus, I just don't buy that he's really hurt. I don't see it. What I saw in the Minny game was a quitter, pure and simple. You could see it in his body language and attitude. No fire. Nothing. He just stopped caring. That was a painful thing to watch.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts