Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Portland offered Jermaine O'neal for our #4 pick... we took Fizer with the #4.... sounded like a bad deal at the time but I would have jumped ALL over that one now

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by HAWK23
Portland offered Jermaine O'neal for our #4 pick... we took Fizer with the #4.... sounded like a bad deal at the time but I would have jumped ALL over that one now
YES!!! Jerry K had a deal on the table with Portland until Indiana flew in last minute to get the young O'Neal. O'Neal and Brand would have been nice. Eh.

VD

·
BasketballBoards Fat Cat
1,320 Posts
Originally posted by HAWK23
I didn't think it was a bad deal then. But Krausey didn't ask me. (Although it seems he was actually in favor of it too, so he didn't really NEED to ask me...)

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Krause balk at the trade when Portland wanted both of our first round picks?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Hindsight is always 20/20 and if the deal included the rights to Fizer and Jamaal, I'm not sure that I would have done it even with hindsight. O'Neal is a talented young player, but he tends to go wacko every now and then. Futhermore, Fizer is a very respectable PF in his own right with much upside. As for JC, I'm confident that he'll be an all-star PG some day. Let's not forget that he have to superstars-in-the-making (Chander and Curry) who play O'Neal's positions, C and PF.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
crawford for fizer would make it more tough.. I thought it was only #4 for Jermaine....

Fizer in my mind is expendable, I really think Jamal is going to be a good player though

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Originally posted by dkg1
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Krause balk at the trade when Portland wanted both of our first round picks?
That is what I remember as well. I guess we'll never really know since we didn't sit in on the conversations.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Originally posted by RetroDreams

That is what I remember as well. I guess we'll never really know since we didn't sit in on the conversations.
Maybe that would be an excellent question for SUS to ask JK at the next game.

·
Registered
586 Posts
The trade was about to go down

But at the last second, the Blazers made a phone call and then said they needed the 6th pick as well to complete the trade.

Krause said no!!

first go around

4th (Fizer) and 24 (Baggs) for
>was about to go down
J. O'neal

After the phone call

4th (Fizer) 6th (Mihm) and 24th probably a PG for
>Krause just laughed
J. O'neal

I'm happy the trade didn't go down.

That how I heard it happened.

·
Registered
586 Posts
oops!!!

I meant to put it as a reply. Could some one move it under the
"Remember the Portland offer"

thats alright. I will merge the threads

·
Registered
510 Posts
Portland did want Fizer, but also wanted the 7th pick (not 6th). Krause said no. There was still hope that Fizer would be dealt for O'Neal during the summer but when Indiana offered offered Dale Davis, that was the end of it. Without that offer, it could have happened. Portland wanted to move O'Neal.
The potential trade was one of the reasons Krause selected Fizer with the 4th pick despite having Brand. I was hoping something could be worked out that summer and was following the situation daily when there was news to be had. Giving up both the 4th and the 7th picks was never an option for the Bulls. The 4th and maybe a little extra would have seen the trigger pulled immediately. Remember that Krause actually made a one year $9mil offer to O'Neal which he turned down for a long term contract for less per year with Portland.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by Songcycle
Portland did want Fizer, but also wanted the 7th pick (not 6th). Krause said no. There was still hope that Fizer would be dealt for O'Neal during the summer but when Indiana offered offered Dale Davis, that was the end of it. Without that offer, it could have happened. Portland wanted to move O'Neal.
The potential trade was one of the reasons Krause selected Fizer with the 4th pick despite having Brand. I was hoping something could be worked out that summer and was following the situation daily when there was news to be had. Giving up both the 4th and the 7th picks was never an option for the Bulls. The 4th and maybe a little extra would have seen the trigger pulled immediately. Remember that Krause actually made a one year $9mil offer to O'Neal which he turned down for a long term contract for less per year with Portland.
You're right on, Songcycle.

That being said, the Bulls were still expecting Darius Miles to be around at #4, though the Clippers took him at #3 (surprising most by doing so). Fizer was mostly likely either 1) a block of a potential Orlando-LAClips trade (which still happened but with other pieces) or 2) a pick on behalf of another team (say Portland) for an upcoming trade or lastly 3) a real pick to keep and add talent.

Well we wound up with Fizer and Crawford from that draft (a nice swap of Mihm-Crawford!) and some guy name Dalibar. Still I would have loved to have either seen Miles or O'Neal in a Bulls uni. Eh.. that's the past, and WE ARE THE FUTURE. Uh.

VD

·
Registered
510 Posts
I was also lusting for O'Neal and Miles Vin Diesel, but if we had gotten them, we would not have been in a position to draft Curry or Jay Williams and maybe not obtain Chandler for Brand, so things have a funny way of working out.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by Songcycle
I was also lusting for O'Neal and Miles Vin Diesel, but if we had gotten them, we would not have been in a position to draft Curry or Jay Williams and maybe not obtain Chandler for Brand, so things have a funny way of working out.
Hell yeah.

Don't get me wrong, I love Chandler, Curry, and the new look Bulls. But man... Brand was my guy and I would have loved to see him w/ Miles (Miles in Chicago?!!! ahhh) or O'Neal (another young PF/C). Whew... would have been nice.

Instead, we have to wait a couple more years to get back to respectability =)

Payce,
VD

1 - 16 of 16 Posts