Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like you'll took Wesley Person and his fat contract off the Cav's hands for the dude you took in the 2nd round! Hopefully Person can produce for you, but I am happy we dumped his contract. Maybe we will use the $ to resign Andre Miller and Ricky Davis. Thank you! By the way, I really don't care who we got in exchange... I'd of given Person away for free to dump the salary.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
details

Person for Nick Anderson and the rights to Matt Barnes.

Person has a bigger and longer contract. Anderson is a FA after next year.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i dont understand this trade....
they had always been looking to get rid of Nick Anderson's contract which paid him around 5M this year...
however, they managed to get Wesley Person who makes 7M this year and 9M the next year....
I have seen him play and he is a decent shot maker....but nowhere around that kind of price tag....
Rather, Barnes would have developed into a much better shooter...oh well...you never know what Jerry West is upto

·
Registered
46 Posts
I read through some Jerry West inerviews that they'll use Wesley as a spot up shooter, who can shoot set shoots on the dime. I think he shot 44% behind the arc and averaged 15 ppg last year. He also bascially said, with Gooden and Gasol in the post, all the attention will be drawn in towards them and nobody really looking at Wesley who can shoot in tough situation's.

West wanted a 3 pt. threat that can give defense's trouble on whom to double team and that's what West got.

Basically he likes a Shane Battier, But Shane can learn a lot from Wesley.

He's building for the future and using the old in the mean time.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Memphis has a great cap sit right now. Person obviously wont put them over the cap and he will just be an extra guy they can use till he leaves or re-signs for less next year.

I think Wesly does things for this team when there starters are resting. He will hit open shots and get that 8 points a game that this team can use.

It is role guys like Person who gets team's to that next level, good role players who know what they do once there on the floor.
I like this deal even though it wont make much difference to the final standing a good solid player.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope

he (Wesley) works out for you... I have no ill feelings towards your team, but Lucas basically resurrected Person's failing career in Clev last year. Heck, the team brought in hsi big brother Chuck "the rifleman" Person as an asst. to help stroke Wesley's ego and shooting skills. Person has a fragile ego, no leadership skills, no defense, a big contract, no athleticism, and he HAS to feel confident to hit his shot. If he doesn't get minutes, he will not be effective- and I don't see many minutes availale for him in Memphis. Plus, he is NOT like Vinnie "the Microwave" Johnson off the bench with instant offense. Person likes to start, and coming into a game cold does not play to his strength. Hope I'm wrong for you guys, but that is my take on watching his career in Cleveland.... NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY is unhappy with this deal in Cleveland....nobody! I would be very surprised if he shoots anything near 35% 3pts. But, like Junkie says, given enough minutes, he might be good for 8 pts a game.... that is reasonable.... again, even with an inside threat to open up the outside, I'm not sure Person will excel coming off the bench. By the way, I think your team is closer to taking a big step forward than my team... and Jerry West is better at this than Jim Paxson... so I could be wrong....

·
Registered
42 Posts
I hope you are. Sometimes a change of scenery is just what a player needs. We (Memphis) haven't been in this NBA business long enough to maybe see things clearly. I see Person's stats last year as the best he's ever posted. I feel certain he'll be an asset here in Memphis. Good luck with Nick Anderson. Tell him to get a flu shot.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the only thing

Anderson will get in Clev is:

a) his paycheck for 1 year

b) a seat on the bench

c) PT in garbage time

d) his walking papers at the end of the season

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Is it not Nick Anderson who is considered a great defender and a starter for Sacramento 2 years ago is this the same Nick Anderson?

I agree with U of Mark alot of players need a change of scenery to produce more ala Antonio Davis, Tracy Mcgrady, Tracy Murray

Some become better Davis,Mcgrady some just stink on an other team Tracy Murrray.

Im not comparing Person to the first 2 guys in any way. Im just saying I like his fundamental game and I really do think he brings some intangibles to this team.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Wesley is a great pick up for the Grizz,,,

Our cap is totally screwed for the next 3 years anyway so who cares about adding a 2-year contract.

Say what ever you want Cavs fans, but Wesley scored 15 a game last season and did so with excellent percentages,,,

Our team has(had) serious shooting deficiencies last year and no depth at the 2, so adding a legit starter and awesome 3-point threat like Wesley will pay big dividends.

Dickerson probably won't be all that effective for us next year so our starting combo at the 2/3 will likely be Person and Battier,,,

I will take that,,,,

·
Registered
872 Posts
i think it was an excelent addition for the grizz, look at what we have now:
J-Will/Knight
Dickerson/Person
Battier/gooden
Gasol/swift
Wright/Massemburg

i expect dickerson to get back and make a good contribution, may be 15 ppg and see improvements on gasol, battier and j-will due to West help.

knight its a solid backup PG and if person shoots 38% from 3PT line and makes 8 ppg or better i think its a very good contribution.

gooden its going to see some minutes beeing the backup Forward, sharing time at 3 and 4 i guess

i expect the grizzlies to trade swift, he is a good player but i dont think there is room for him and gooden on the bench. may be we can get a best center or package with another player for an All-Star talent.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Someone above me made the quote about the Grizz cap being screwed up the next three years. I'm still not totally sure how it works but I do know Brant Reaves (retired last season) salary counts against this years (2002-03) cap but totally comes off the next season. Losing a $12 mil a year salary gives Memphis alot of flexibility the following season (2003-04). I know that seems a long way off but if you were the GM of a NBA club you've got to look at these salaries and how they'll affect a club for the next five years or so.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Beleive me, these guys know what they're doing when it comes to working under the cap. Me as a season ticket holder, that's something I'm not going to worry about, just get the right players in here. And also, just remember that Heisley said the purse is open and he's gonna trust West with it.

I think adding Person to the team was a good move. Hopefully he can come in and give us what we need, consistent shooting. Maybe in Cleveland, that situation was not the best for him because they were more of a running team. I think Memphis could turn out to be a better fit for him because the ball will get kicked back out to him from the post. So hopefully, Dickerson will come back in tip-top shape and ready to go, and Person will be ready to step in and not miss a beat when Dickerson is in need of a break. Ah man, I can't wait til the tip-off of the new season!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts