Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I firmly believe that Rodney White will make the Pistons pay for trading him to the Nuggets. The general consensus, is that big guys such as centres, need more time to develop. However, it seems that because White was a small forward, the Pistons felt that he should have been able to contribute more, during the year and instantly produce.

At college last year, everyone was talking about this guy. He was an aggressive force on offense at high school and even in his brief college career. If I had to define his game, he really has a bit of Big Dog and a touch of Mashburn in him.

I know that the Pistons lost patience with him, because of his poor attitude and probably unwillingness to play defense, but remember he needs more time to develop. Dumars, could have kept him and let him battle it out with Prince, etc. They need to look for a replacement for both Curry and Robinson in the future, anyway.

White is a work in progress and I believe that he has the talent and potential to be a force in this league. Dumars tried to cut his losses, but he will not get a better player in the future, then what he could have had in White, with the pick that he received in the trade. Something must have gone on, that was deeper then what Dumars is letting on. He wanted White at least years draft as we all know. White blew them away at his tryout, so something must have happened. You just do not play a guy for 16 games, in garbage time and then just as quickly get rid of him.You need to give him more of a chance to assess his game and see how he reacts to certain situations on the court.

He just needed more time, to learn the Pistons sets. I mean, with Stackhouse traded, there would have been more opportunities for him to get some looks and some more shots in the offense.

All in all, he will be a player in this league and will be more of a force in the NBA then Prince. Once he gets it together, you will see a 6"9 small forward with special abilities.

He was unguardable and in college he was hitting his jumpshot , often over two defenders, because they were collapsing on him. He needs to get rid of the selfishness that exists in his game, which is one of his flaws.But once he refines his game, look out.....

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
He basically told the pistons to play him or trade him. He had ever oppurtunity to out play micheal curry (who some people say is the worst starter in the league) and corliss williamson. He doesn't play really good d and if you have a decent team like the pistons do you can't afford just to give this guy minutes in games if he has not earned them so he would have had to sit on the bench at least one more year. This a) would have made him unhappy and possibly a cancer in the locker room and b) his trade value would have dropped even more. Prince btw outplayed white in the summer league games and was the talk of pete newells big mans camp he may not have as much potential as white does but he certainly has a more well rounded game at this point.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Kiki traded for White and he is an instructor at the Big Man's camp. I would not put too much meaning into Prince outplaying him at the Big Man's camp. Obviously Kiki saw something, or he would not have traded for him.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Rick Carlisle is a counselor at the camp also... If your kiki your obviously going to trade for him he is so young and has talent he might turn into a great player but like I said he wasn't going to get any pt this year for the pistons who have one of the best benches in the league so he wanted to be traded...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Michael Curry averaged like 4 points a game! His defense may have been alot better than White's, but White's O game is already superior to Curry's.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OMG!!

Just laugh at me now!!!!

Sorry to bring this one back up,but this prediction kind of reallly blew up in my face didn't it??

I love this quote from my original post almost 3 and a half years ago.....

"All in all, he will be a player in this league and will be more of a force in the NBA then Prince. Once he gets it together, you will see a 6"9 small forward with special abilities."

So kingofkings, how did this little prediction turn out??

Sorry, i just found it funny searching through some old threads, the sad thing, is this one came back to burn me........

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Wow, big nuggets to bring this one back from obscurity...obviously the crystal ball was a little murky back then. Hows it look for Darko?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ouch. :biggrin:

Meanwhile, Tayshaun Prince is gonna go down as a defensive legend by the time all is said and done.

Whatever happened to good old Rodney, anyway? Is he like the 15th man on someone's roster? I like to think that I know quite a bit about basketball, but I'm drawing blanks, and I'm too lazy to conduct an internet search.

Hey, props to the Pistons.

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
Rodney White... I remember him! He's the guy we drafted over Richard Jefferson!

-Chris.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
Dang this thread really confused me until I looked at the dates.Rodney looked like a pretty good player coming out of Charlotte,but it's not hard to believe that he's...Where ever he is?

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Copper said:
Wow, big nuggets to bring this one back from obscurity...obviously the crystal ball was a little murky back then. Hows it look for Darko?
:laugh:

Surely you don't really want my prediction after my strike out in the 1st innings here??

As for Darko I don't know what he has. I don't know if he can play, what he does best, or what will make him an effective player on the court.

I feel that the Pistons dumping him for salary relief might tell me that they thought there was not much there. You would have to look at it that way.They just couldn't trust the guy at all. This is 3 years in and they don't trust him on the court. When that is the case, I guess you have to deal him.....

·
Registered
855 Posts
lol....at first i was like man this is kind of bogus to bring up an old thread like this one, at least you can laugh about it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts