Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope the Pacers go to the Finals this year. But really would it matter? Beating that Lakers team 4 out of 7 games is gonna be impossible I think. Could you see any team past or present beating this Lakers team 4 out of 7 games. Of course injuries happen, but if the Lakers are healthy at the end of the year, man.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
The Pacers, in my opinion, are the only team with a chance of winning the championship, especially if the Spurs make it.

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
Outside of the Lakers, I feel you guys do have a chance to beat the other top west teams and a big part of that is Jermaine O'neal. You need a big guy who you can dump it in to when things get tough and JO is one of the best on the low block.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Like I said in another post, we've gone down to the wire with the spurs and kings, and beaten the Mavs and T'wolves by 10+. I really do think the Pacers have a shot at winning the championship. The only thing I am scared of is a healthy lakers team. I don't think the journey stops after the conference finals.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
wel

with the win against the spurs, the sky's the limit

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
I see the East having a real good chance, especially if the Pacers and the Pistons carry on the great basketball they're playing this season into the playoffs.

The only two teams that are capable of beating the team coming out of the West, are Pacers & Pistons. The Nets have proved two years in a row that they are not capable of winning it, and The Hornets I don't think are consistent enough to win it.

But, it's hard to picture a team from the East winning the championship over great teams like the Spurs, Timberwolves and the Lakers.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
I definitely think the East has a chance, the Pacers are very good, if we have to go against the Kings then I would be really worried. Or a healthy Lakers team, but honestly, if our team is healthy we are very good, especially with how Tinsley has been doing lately.

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
My worry about the Pistons are their road woes out west... We handle them pretty well at home, but we haven't beaten a good west team on the road in a long time.

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
Originally posted by <b>PacersguyUSA</b>!
The Pacers, in my opinion, are the only team with a chance of winning the championship, especially if the Spurs make it.
I dunno... everyone underestimates the Spurs. It's always, they have a chance if the Spurs make it. But the Spurs are a damn good team - I'll take them over the Pacers in a 7 game Finals series, at least for this year - and have only improved from last year on paper. They're a deadly team in the playoffs because of all the experience and they have a better frontcourt than us. Plus they have a much more experienced coach, although Carlisle did make it to the finals as an assistant once.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Pacers might win the most games and get HCA. It's not guaranteed to the West, it's just been like that. :D

But take the Wolves or Spurs to the Central in exchange for Indy in the Midwest, and there would be a record swing. You have to do better to be on top of the Midwest, definitely.

Pacers have a shot. O'Neal is not far from a championship level player. (But there's Barkley, Malone, Stockton, etc.)

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Last year everyone was saying the Pacers were the only team who could challenge the West and they ended up losing in the first round to Antoine Walker, Tony Delk and the Celtics but something about this team is different this year.

I would love to see Reggie get a ring. He stayed with this team (talk about loyalty) instead of selling out and it would be the story of the year for me if he could get his ring with this team.

I remember watching last year and thinking. No way the Spurs lose to the Nets. David Robinson is the class of the NBA and an incredible human being. Someone up above wants him to leave the NBA with a title and that is exactly what happened.
Reggie deserves that same kind of ending (or near the end of his career) for being loyal to the Pacers.
A plus would be seeing Larry Bird and Rick Carliele (Two guys who could have been with the Celtics this year if our owners weren't complete glory hogs) go and win a title while Danny Ainge
is sitting at home with the team he put together wondering what if:)

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
Originally posted by <b>lastlaugh</b>!
something about this team is different this year.
Jermaine is better and more dominate
Artest got his emotions together and is an offensive threat
Reggie got over his ankle injury and is still a legitimate threat
Tinsley is more mature
Foster seems more "fiesty"
Carlisle is a better coach than Isiah

That's what's different, and why we are going to the finals.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts