Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, let me say, as a long time Blazers fan, the ONLY reason I get excited to watch Blazers games this April is Telfair. This guy has impressed me so much over the last 3 weeks or so.

So, to the title of my thread. It's a little misleading, I will admit.

However.

When Kobe first came into the league he was given a VERY long leash. Kobe was allowed to basically do what he wanted, no matter the consequences. By giving Kobe the green light he learned. He grew. Because he's great. I believe the same philosophy should be applied to Telfair. Give him the green light to be who he is. Let him make his mistakes. Because he is great. He will work it out. Do not harness this kid. That would be the biggest mistake Portland could make. My opinion of Nate rests upon how he deals with Telfair next season. I like Nate, but he better ease up on Bassy. He's our only hope.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
iot was nate's leash that helped telfair improve his game instead of being one side he knows how to do both but one big difference kobe isnt a pg his position is more free cus he doesnt have to run the team.

·
Registered
10,411 Posts
Who would have thunk at the beginning of the season that Steve Blake would get the lion's share of the minutes at the point?

·
Banned member
28,451 Posts
netsgiants said:
Telfair's game is NOTHING like Kobes. Telfair is a pure pg.
the implication was in how they were handled, not on their skill set of if they were similiar in that manner.

·
Registered
472 Posts
SMiLE said:
the implication was in how they were handled, not on their skill set of if they were similiar in that manner.

I'm sorry...Telfair is not a pure PG...

He is from the streets of NYC, where everyone has maybe 2 assists per game, right?! Nothing against NYC, but he's a streetballer. He has great moves for the street, but in the NBA...I just don't think his game is that great. When I think of PG, I think of someone running the show...

IMO, Steve Blake is a pure PG on the team and has shown us this year, that he has a heck of a shot from the outside...don't hate for this next sentence, but...TRADE TELFAIR. We will get more back in return for Telfair. I like Blake and Jack together...

·
Banned member
28,451 Posts
ptownblazer1 said:

He is from the streets of NYC, where everyone has maybe 2 assists per game, right?!
I guess thats why he averaged 4 game as a starter, and just about 3 as a bench guy, huh?

and Marbury and Kenny Anderson both averaged only 2 a game, right?

Nothing against NYC, but he's a streetballer. He has great moves for the street, but in the NBA...I just don't think his game is that great. When I think of PG, I think of someone running the show...
he runs the team as good as anyone on the team does.

IMO, Steve Blake is a pure PG on the team and has shown us this year, that he has a heck of a shot from the outside...don't hate for this next sentence, but...TRADE TELFAIR. We will get more back in return for Telfair. I like Blake and Jack together...
If you want to trade the guy with the best chance at being a really solid player, sure. trade him.

but since you usually want to trade the guy who isn't long for the team, and isn't going to get significantly better than he is now, you trade Blake.

uh oh, que the "telfair defend hap" comments.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I've gotta say...I feel really strong about this! Yes, I hope with time Telfair matures, but if anyone watched the movie Through the Fire...it's all about him. Even in the NBA, he is a shoot first, pass second kind of PG. He is very talented, I will give him that, but I don't see him being a great PG in this league, and who knows if this will come back and bite me in the butt...but I'm gonna say it anyways. I just don't see him being a big contributor to this team, unless he does it himself as in without the team.

The only advantage that Telfair has over Blake...again, IMO...Telfair is quick. Very quick. But Steve Blake really impressed me this year. And Blake's defense is pretty good...not great, but good. I think i remember Kobe coming into Portland with some streak that ended and never seen someone play such great D on him that game...even better than the "Kobe Stopper"

Kobe's statline for that game...
K. Bryant 44:28
FG 13-29 44%
3PT 3-13 23%
FT 12-13 and yes, he can shoot FT's :whoknows:
PTS 41

Steve Blake
2005-06 Statistics
PPG 8.5
RPG 2.2
APG 4.6
SPG .63
BPG .08
FG% .448
FT% .791
3P% .415
MPG 26.5

Sebastian Telfair
2005-06 Statistics
PPG 9.3
RPG 1.7
APG 3.6
SPG .92
BPG .09
FG% .390
FT% .741
3P% .364
MPG 24.0

When Telfair got injured earlier in the season, Blake and Dixon played great together. I do think we need a bigger SG to add to our very small backcourt. I'm just sayin, I would not be upset if Telfair was traded.

And if someone brings up the Jermaine O' Neal theory...where is he now? And would you have started him over Arvydas Sabonis? That was all timing, it wasn't his time to be in Portland. Bad draft pick that year...

·
Registered
10,411 Posts
ptownblazer1 said:

He is from the streets of NYC, where everyone has maybe 2 assists per game, right?! Nothing against NYC, but he's a streetballer. He has great moves for the street, but in the NBA...I just don't think his game is that great. When I think of PG, I think of someone running the show...

ummmm.....Mark Jackson has the 2nd most all-time assists in NBA history and he was one of New York cities greatest streetballers...Tiny Archibald was another brilliant playmaker from the playground who was had solid assist #'s....

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at, but its wrong...

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
ptownblazer1 said:
I think i remember Kobe coming into Portland with some streak that ended and never seen someone play such great D on him that game...even better than the "Kobe Stopper"

FG 13-29 44%
3PT 3-13 23%
PTS 41
Wow, held him to a mere 41 points. What a stopper.

Yes, I remember the announcers going off on what a great defensive job that was. I thought it was a crock then too.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Living in the NY/NJ area, NYC street PG's take tremendous pride in "dimes." There main job in the pick-up games is to throw many alley-oops, look-away, and behind the back passes to show off the big mens athletism. In highschool, he could score at will and he has terrific vision. That is one of the main reasons Portland drafted him, for his playmaking passing abililty.

Strengths: One of those rare players who makes the others around him better. Telfair posses great court vision and super passing ability. He will find you if your open. Sebastian has superior ball handling skills and penetration ability. He's been known to dazzle crowds with some of his super quick moves and ball skills. His quick hands and active feet make him a pest on defense…. He has that extra gear that allows him to out battle almost anyone...Makes the game look easy...Sebastian has dominated older competition for sometime with his otherworldly talent…..A fine prospect

Weaknesses: Needs to improve his shooting to become a complete player....Sometimes gets carried away and makes things more difficult than they have to be...Must become stronger. Also has a tendency to hold the ball too long...Not a good rebounding point guard.
NBAdraft.net Am i aloud to post that or is it a copyright thing?
http://nbadraft.net/profiles/sebastian_telfair.asp

Kobe Bryant is a prolific scorer, Telfair is in the making of a pure pass first point guard which is his strength, but could not show that off as much in highschool because the scoring burden on him to keep them in the game.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
ptownblazer1 said:
I've gotta say...I feel really strong about this! Yes, I hope with time Telfair matures, but if anyone watched the movie Through the Fire...it's all about him. Even in the NBA, he is a shoot first, pass second kind of PG. He is very talented, I will give him that, but I don't see him being a great PG in this league, and who knows if this will come back and bite me in the butt...but I'm gonna say it anyways. I just don't see him being a big contributor to this team, unless he does it himself as in without the team.

The only advantage that Telfair has over Blake...again, IMO...Telfair is quick. Very quick. But Steve Blake really impressed me this year. And Blake's defense is pretty good...not great, but good. I think i remember Kobe coming into Portland with some streak that ended and never seen someone play such great D on him that game...even better than the "Kobe Stopper"

FG 13-29 44%
3PT 3-13 23%
PTS 41

Steve Blake
2005-06 Statistics
PPG 8.5
RPG 2.2
APG 4.6
SPG .63
BPG .08
FG% .448
FT% .791
3P% .415
MPG 26.5

Sebastian Telfair
2005-06 Statistics
PPG 9.3
RPG 1.7
APG 3.6
SPG .92
BPG .09
FG% .390
FT% .741
3P% .364
MPG 24.0

When Telfair got injured earlier in the season, Blake and Dixon played great together. I do think we need a bigger SG to add to our very small backcourt. I'm just sayin, I would not be upset if Telfair was traded.

And if someone brings up the Jermaine O' Neal theory...where is he now? And would you have started him over Arvydas Sabonis? That was all timing, it wasn't his time to be in Portland. Bad draft pick that year...

I'm curious, what would their stats look like if you ran them both for 48 minutes. Then take Telfair's stats last year compared to this year on a 48 minute basis and progress them to the same age as Blake.

·
Banned member
28,451 Posts
netsgiants said:
Living in the NY/NJ area, NYC street PG's take tremendous pride in "dimes." There main job in the pick-up games is to throw many alley-oops, look-away, and behind the back passes to show off the big mens athletism. In highschool, he could score at will and he has terrific vision. That is one of the main reasons Portland drafted him, for his playmaking passing abililty.

NBAdraft.net Am i aloud to post that or is it a copyright thing?
http://nbadraft.net/profiles/sebastian_telfair.asp

Kobe Bryant is a prolific scorer, Telfair is in the making of a pure pass first point guard which is his strength, but could not show that off as much in highschool because the scoring burden on him to keep them in the game.
yes you can post that, you just can't post like every profile they have.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Telfairs numbers in 5 more years look incredibly better than Blakes do, and i'm not even taking into account his "breakout" year like Blake had this year.

Assuming his numbers do nothing bu increase the same as they did between year 1 and year 2 Tlefair would average

20.5 points
5 assist
3 rebounds

Very good numbers for anyone. Now consider that at some point like most players they have a "breakout year" as Blake did this year. Using the same formula and % that Steve Blakes numbers went up between his career totals and this year Telfair would average close to 25 points 10 assists a game. By all means though let's keep Blake because he is better in your eyes than our pg 2 years out of high school.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
ptownblazer1 said:

Wow, I could not possibly disagree with you more.

At least as I see things, Telfair seems to be getting better with every game. Blake doesn't seem to be getting better at all.

The team has a better record with Telfair starting than with Blake.

It seems to me it's a choice between a very young guy who's learning tough lessons and getting better... or an older guy who's pretty much maxed out at what he is -- a third-string PG on a good team or a starting PG on a horrible team.

No-brainer, as far as I'm concerned. Trade Paper. Or keep him as a seldom-played, third string backup to Telfair and Jack.

Stepping Razor

·
Registered
472 Posts
Okay...very good points to pretty much say that everything I said in my posts were not so great...I hope I'm wrong here with all my posts I made earlier. Which I am sure everyone else behind this post will say I am...

And for the Kobe game...yes he did score 41, but he did play great defense on him and the Blazers made him earn every point from the line shooting 12 of 13.

Okay...I guess mum's the word for me whenever I post here!

:frenchy:

GO BLAZERS!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
ptownblazer1 said:
Okay...very good points to pretty much say that everything I said in my posts were not so great...I hope I'm wrong here with all my posts I made earlier. Which I am sure everyone else behind this post will say I am...

And for the Kobe game...yes he did score 41, but he did play great defense on him and the Blazers made him earn every point from the line shooting 12 of 13.

Okay...I guess mum's the word for me whenever I post here!

:frenchy:

GO BLAZERS!
Nah, don't give up!

We just disagree. At this point, none of the three point guards is very good yet, so these discussions are all speculative.

Besides, if you give up, you won't be able to come back here and say "I told you so" after Blake becomes an All-Star while Telfair is relegated to the And-1 Mixtape tour.

Not that I think that's going to happen, but hey...

Stepping Razor

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
netsgiants said:
Telfair's game is NOTHING like Kobes. Telfair is a pure pg.
Congrats on not reading anything but the TITLE of the thread. Way to go.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fork said:
Congrats on not reading anything but the TITLE of the thread. Way to go.
lol...

The title was definitely intended to get a "what the hell is this guy smoking?" reaction. I was banking on most people actually reading the damn message, though. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.