Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you could have one team to take-over and run as your own, which would you chose?
This is not necessarily your favorite team but the one you feel you could build around and turn into a strong contender.

Please support your answer with facts, opinions, ect.

All reasonable responses and/or discussion will receive rep!

Reactions: ChristopherJ

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
If I had the opportunity to become a GM/head coach of any franchise in the NHL, I would select the New Jersey Devils. They are doing halfway decent this season with the absence of Patrick Elias, and injuries involving Marty Brodeur. Beat a good team in the Montreal Canadians and competed very well with the Ottawa Senators, two of Canada's best hockey teams and consist of some of the premier players throughout the league. Clemmensen has been doing decent the times he is in net, Marty Brodeur just has to recover fully from his injury and go back to being himself, he cannot stand up. He needs to play on his knees and get those key kick saves. I would love to have Brian Gionta on my team, the way he is playing this year is impressing me especially for his size/height. Alexander Mogilny is also another player I would enjoy having on my team.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Philadelphia.

Jeff Carter and Mike Richards are two great players and they're only 20. They also have Jonni Pitkanen on defense who is only 22, and he's is going to be a stud, if he isn't already.

Not to mention Forsberg and Gagne who are the best duo in hockey right now.

There goaltending isn't great in Esche but supposedly their backup Antero Niittymaki is slowly developing into a great goaltender.

So overall, that is a great young nucleus to start with.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Dooch said:
If I had the opportunity to become a GM/head coach of any franchise in the NHL, I would select the New Jersey Devils. They are doing halfway decent this season with the absence of Patrick Elias, and injuries involving Marty Brodeur. Beat a good team in the Montreal Canadians and competed very well with the Ottawa Senators, two of Canada's best hockey teams and consist of some of the premier players throughout the league. Clemmensen has been doing decent the times he is in net, Marty Brodeur just has to recover fully from his injury and go back to being himself, he cannot stand up. He needs to play on his knees and get those key kick saves. I would love to have Brian Gionta on my team, the way he is playing this year is impressing me especially for his size/height. Alexander Mogilny is also another player I would enjoy having on my team.
Hmm.....I think there are alot better choices then the Devils.

·
Registered
289 Posts
KidCanada said:
Then name one... I think the devils would be a good choice to build as a team. However, if I had the chance to be a GM, I would pick Boston. They need to become on the elite teams in the leauge again. A BIG reset is needed for them. My second choice would be Vancouver, just because they need a better goal tender to go the full distance.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Cavs_Pimp said:
Then name one... I think the devils would be a good choice to build as a team. However, if I had the chance to be a GM, I would pick Boston. They need to become on the elite teams in the leauge again. A BIG reset is needed for them. My second choice would be Vancouver, just because they need a better goal tender to go the full distance.
I did.

KidCanada said:
Philadelphia.

Jeff Carter and Mike Richards are two great players and they're only 20. They also have Jonni Pitkanen on defense who is only 22, and he's is going to be a stud, if he isn't already.

Not to mention Forsberg and Gagne who are the best duo in hockey right now.

There goaltending isn't great in Esche but supposedly their backup Antero Niittymaki is slowly developing into a great goaltender.

So overall, that is a great young nucleus to start with.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
The Maple Leafs, for many reasons.

1)They're the best franchise is the NHL. Worth the most, most known sports logo etc.
2)Good team, Lots of great Vets (Sundin, O'Neil, Tucker), some decent young players (Stajan, Wellwood, Steen) and players can revive their careers in the biggest hockey city in the world (Lindros, Allison), they've got a solid vet goaltender (Belfour) and a pretty good young one (Tellqvist). They've also got a superstar defenceman (McCabe) and a couple of other good to average defencemen (Kaberle, Klee).
They team needs a lot to turn around, such as another real defensive pairing and a real winger that can score.
3) See answer number 1.

·
Registered
289 Posts
shookem said:

1)They're the best franchise is the NHL. Worth the most, most known sports logo etc.
2)Good team, Lots of great Vets (Sundin, O'Neil, Tucker), some decent young players (Stajan, Wellwood, Steen) and players can revive their careers in the biggest hockey city in the world (Lindros, Allison), they've got a solid vet goaltender (Belfour) and a pretty good young one (Tellqvist). They've also got a superstar defenceman (McCabe) and a couple of other good to average defencemen (Kaberle, Klee).
They team needs a lot to turn around, such as another real defensive pairing and a real winger that can score.
3) See answer number 1.
Good choice. :banana:

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
KidCanada said:
Yes. There are better franchises. But being from New Jersey and following the Devils for many years it would have been a privilege to coach the Devils. Other teams I would love to coach, Detroit and Philadelphia.

·
Registered
259 Posts
shookem said:

3) See answer number 1.
LOL one good month and he's a superstar. Every team in the NHL would rather have a guy like Chara or Redden on their team over McCabe and I don't even consider those guys superstars. As a Franchise right now there is nothing that great about the Leafs man, sorry.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm surprised nobody really chose the Sens..hahaha...they had alot of good draft picks over the years and made some smart trades. I'm tempted to pick the Canucks but they have some horrid draft decisions that they chose over the years..i'll take Nashville and run...

1. COol Logo..hahaha
2. Awesome Defensive prospects
3. Radulov..awesome offensive minded player
4. Grit filled
5. Speed
6. Got Goaltending in Vokoun..although i think they should draft for a bluechipper goaltending prospect or trade for one
7. team is relatively young

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Marshall_42 said:
LOL one good month and he's a superstar. Every team in the NHL would rather have a guy like Chara or Redden on their team over McCabe and I don't even consider those guys superstars. As a Franchise right now there is nothing that great about the Leafs man, sorry.
I think you mean as a team, there's nothing great about the team right now....and you're right, but the franchise is one of the biggest and most valuable in the world, and is nothing short of great. :banana:

·
Registered
259 Posts
shookem said:
I think you mean as a team, there's nothing great about the team right now....and you're right, but the franchise is one of the biggest and most valuable in the world, and is nothing short of great. :banana:
The World? I don't know about that man, in the NHL probably but I wouldn't say the world. Except for in Canada no one Cares about the Leafs or the NHL for that matter.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Marshall_42 said:
The World? I don't know about that man, in the NHL probably but I wouldn't say the world. Except for in Canada no one Cares about the Leafs or the NHL for that matter.
wrong, Sundin grew up knowing who the Maple Leafs where and he likened them to Man U.

Forbes recently came out an assesed their value at $325 tops in the NHL...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts