Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be premature to speculate on such matters, but it is an interesting topic nonetheless. Since I am American, my team will be the following . . .

pos. height name age (in '08)

PG- 6'8" LeBron James 23- Could be the best overall player in the whole league in 2008, a mixture between Magic and Domanique Wilkins. Projected NBA stats of 26 pts. 10 ast. 7 rbg

SG- 6'7"Kobe Bryant 29- Baring serious injuries, he will be one of the games top ten (at least) players in four years. Projected stats of 29 pts 6 ast 6 rbg

SG/SF- 6'9" Tracy McGrady 28- Much like Kobe Bryant, Tracy will be in his prime in 2008 and could be the NBA's best scorer. Stats 33 pts 5 ast 6 rbg

PF- 6'10" Amare Stoudemire 25- If injuries don't hamper his development, then Amare could become a force in this league, using his strength and inhuman athleticism to dominate just about everyone. 25 pts 13 rpg 2 ast 2 blks

F/C- 7'0" Tim Duncan 32- Even though Tim would be on the downside of his career, he would still be an offensive and defensive force and would bring a veteran presence to the Dream Team. 21 pts 12 rpg 2 blk 4 ast

Starter's overview- With interchangable players playing the wings and point guard, and with an athletic and fundemental one two punch in the post, the Dream Team starters would present matchup nightmares for any opponent.

Bench-

SG 6'6" Mike Redd- Will probably be the best American 3-point shooter in the NBA. Only 29, he would still be in his prime. 24 pts 6 rpg 4 ast

SG/PG 6'5" Dwayne Wade- Could be the quintessential combo guard. A player with a nice midrange game, a terrific slasher, defender, with great athleticism. Only 25 in 2008. 23 pts 7 ast 6 rbg.

C 6'11" Eddy Curry- Could be amazing in four years, or he could be a slightly better than average center. His size will definatly help team USA handle foreign bigs. Would be 25. stats 22 pts 9 rpg 2 blks

PF 6'9" Zach Randolph- Could very well be a starter, except right now Amare has more defensive ability with more athleticism and agility. Has unbelievable footwork and agility for someone his size. Terrific hands. Will be an offensive force in 2008 and could be a scoring spark for the DT. Just 26. stats 30 ppg, 10 rpg 1.5 blks 3 ast

SF/PF 7'1" Kevin Garnett- Could be remembered as the best player in the 2000-2010 decade. Phenomenal athlete would (like Tim) bring a veteran prescence to the United States. Would be about 33. stats in 2008 21 ppg 12 rpg 2 blk 5 ast

PG 6'3" Gilbert Arenas- One of the fastest players that I have ever seen reguardless of size, he has all the tools to be a lockdown defender and a prolific offensive force. Would be 26 stats 22 ppg 8 ast 3 stl 4 rbg

SF 6'8" Carmelo Anthony- Could be a scoring machine in a few years, a more athletic Glenn Robinson with more passion and less baggage. His man to man defense could still improve a bit. Only 24 in 2008. stats 29 ppg 8 rpg 4 ast

Bench Overview- With great size, scoring, defense, shooters, and ballhandlers, the 2008 Dream Team could be the best team ever assembled.

Potential threats for US gold- Brazil, Serbia, China, France, Argentina, Spain. (In order)

Competitor overview- By 2008 all these nations could have at least five players in the NBA, and in some cases, like the first four mentioned, could have anywhere between ten and twenty players playing basketball in the NBA. Each of these nations will probably have a superstar, and in many cases multiple stars. The reason why I picked Brazil as the biggest threat is because of the athleticism that they would have. They could probably match the Dream Team's athleticism player for player.

The stats are just educated guesses on their possible 2008 productivity. Feel free to change the list and make up your own. For non-US members, you can list your team and how good you expect them to be (i.e. Olympic place).

could

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
I did not know Duncan was actually a little younger than KG. That's amazing.

Anyhow. I like your post. It really does make you think.

I think some of these guys, like Lebron or Melo, should be on this years olympic team. Just to get their feet wet so they will have some olympic veteran experience for 2008.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whoops, my mistake. Kevin is actually a month younger than Tim. I thought he turned 28 in the fall, when it actually will be in May.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
I really like your analysis and the way you think... that's a very plausible list. I have no doubt that LeBron James will be the future star of our Olympic team; he and his game are built perfectly for it. Stoudemire and Randolph are good choices as well.

I can also see why you think Michael Redd and Dwyane Wade look like future Olympians. Good choices there too.

Some other possibilities...

Joe Johnson. He's got a great well-rounded game and I think his style of play is suited for the national team. I'm assuming he will have reached consistency by that point.

Kirk Hinrich might be a good Olympic point guard. I can see him doing for the team what Mike Bibby does for it right now. More than anything I just think he's got the right attitude for the job.

And I really hope LeBron James will be added to this current Olympic team. He's so versatile and team-oriented, his talent could really help the team. And it would give him the experience.

And really I just want to see him play with Tim Duncan. For some reason I'm convinced that they would be incredible together.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, having Tim and LeBron would be so difficult because they would have such a dynamic two-man game (screens, pick and rolls, mid-range jumpers, drives, etc.). Like Karl Malone and John Stockton times two.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Spain's team won't have a big change, because actually most of the big players were born in 1980 (the 'golden juniors' that won the World Junior Championship in the final against the USA) like Gasol, Lopez,F.Reyes or Navarro,so the team would be something like this:

PG 6-0 Raul Lopez 28 if injuries respect him, he'll be in his prime in the starting 5 of some NBA team. proyected NBA stats: 11 pts 6 asts
SG 6-3 Juan Carlos Navarro 28 in 2008 he may be playing with the Wizards, other great player that will be in his prime
SF at this position there won't be a star player so maybe they'll play in the 3 the guard Rudy Fernandez 6-5 22, he'll be probably in the NBA.. he's scoring 10 ppg here being 18 while Gasol scored 11 ppg when he was 20.He will be probably the 2nd best spanish player, better than Raul. A good comparison would be Ginobili.
PF 7-0 Pau Gasol 28, he'll be an all star at that time, he'll be stronger... proyected NBA stats: 22 pts 10 rbs
C 6-8 Felipe Reyes 28, a big threat in the offensive rebounds, in 2008 he'll have had NBA experience, surely

the PG spot won't have too much backups, only Jose Manuel Calderón (6-4 27) that is more a combo guard, great athleticism and defense, but he is working on his shooting
at SG Navarro and Fernandez will fill the spot, with the help of Roger Grimau (6-4 29), another combo guard
Rodrigo de la Fuente (6-6 31) and mostly Fernando San Emeterio (6-6 23) will contribute at SF

the big men in the bench will be Jorge Garbajosa (6-9 31, could be the starter instead of Reyes) and maybe new young centers like Hernandez-Sonseca (7-0 24, good rebounder and shot blocker) if he improves or Pau's brother, Marc Gasol(6-11 22) that could be a great center.. Jose Angel Antelo (6-8 20) could be one of the top PFs of Europe...

the Spanish team won't change a lot for 2008, probably these young players as Antelo or M.Gasol will go the 2012 olympics.. but not in 2008 since actually the core of the team is relatively young (Gasol, Lopez, Navarro)

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
France:
Parker
M.Pietrus
Diaw
Petro
Weis

Brazil:
Huertas
Barbosa
Varejao
Tiago
Nene

Serbia:
Vujanic
Jaric
Stojakovic
Nemanja
Darko

I think the '08 games will be very competitive.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The reason why I think China will be better than France is that their starting frontcoart (Yao Ming, Yi Lian, and Wang Zhu-Zhu plus they have a rapidly rising teen-aged talent pool) will be nothing but seven footers, they they would present enourmous matchup problems for anyone. The key for them would be their guards. Canada lacks athleticism and depth that the other nations could have, but you never realy know for sure . . .

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
Hmmm

Steve Nash would be like 33
Denham Brown
Sam Dalembert
Jamaal Magloire
Carl English

I'm out this question is too hard.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Not trying to hijack your thread here, but what about the 2006 World Championships? I think this is more relative to speculate on at the moment. Here's my US team which is comprised of mostly "second tier" amercan players. I'm assuming alot of the big guns won't play in 2006 similar to 2002.

Starters:

PG - Mike Bibby: With no Jason Kidd, is now the man running the show. Has the 2004 Olympic experience under his belt.

SG - Micheal Redd: Great 3-point shooter, improving all-around game.

SF - LeBron James: Can be used as a point-forward freeing up Bibby for shots.

PF - Chris Webber: Never been on a USA Basketball team. Might be given a last chance. Great player for the FIBA game.

C - Brad Miller: Having 3 Kings on the team (and in the starting lineup) would ensure some good chemistry. Great passing starting lineup!

Bench:

Zach Randolph (6th man)
Carmelo Anthony
Richard Hamilton: moves well without the ball
Carlos Boozer: very consistant player
Rashard Lewis
Eric Snow: deserves a spot, won't be playing much. Player/Coach.

When looking at players I was thinking about players who are unselfish, have high basketball IQ, don't commit unforced turnovers, and are mentally strong/composed.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Not trying to hijack your thread here, but what about the 2006 World Championships? I think this is more relative to speculate on at the moment. Here's my US team which is comprised of mostly "second tier" american players. I'm assuming alot of the big guns won't play in 2006 similar to 2002.

Starters:

PG - Mike Bibby: With no Jason Kidd, is now the man running the show. Has the 2004 Olympic experience under his belt.

SG - Micheal Redd: Great 3-point shooter, improving all-around game.

SF - LeBron James: Can be used as a point-forward freeing up Bibby for shots.

PF - Chris Webber: Never been on a USA Basketball team. Might be given a last chance. Great player for the FIBA game.

C - Brad Miller: Having 3 Kings on the team (and in the starting lineup) would ensure some good chemistry. Great passing starting lineup!

Bench:

Zach Randolph (6th man)
Carmelo Anthony
Richard Hamilton: moves well without the ball
Carlos Boozer: very consistant player
Rashard Lewis
Eric Snow: deserves a spot, won't be playing much. Player/Coach.

When looking at players I was thinking about players who are unselfish, have high basketball IQ, don't commit unforced turnovers, and are mentally strong/composed.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In response to KABI Sam Dalembert is Haitain I thought but he could have duel citizenship. I would still fear China more than them, but they (Canada) would still be pretty good

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
This is the Danish team , I doubt whether we´ll qualify, but here it is:

Guard: Chanan Colman 6-3 185, Skjold Stevnsgade
Guard: Christian Drejer 6-9 210, University of Florida
Forward: Jonas Langvad 6-9 205, University of Utah
Forward: Michael Dahl Andersen 7-0 240, Nola Napoli
Center: Chris Christoffersen 7-2 300, Roanoke Dazzle NBDL

1 - 20 of 52 Posts