Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought this might be an interesting idea to pass the time...who is a player that your team was recruiting, who then ended up going elsewhere at like a power 5 level and had an all-conference career, and/or made it to the NBA? High profile guys only. Lots of guys became all conference in mid-major leagues, so let's try and keep it to "the big time"

Lots of flexibility on what that means whether it was your team was on them early and then they blew up, or if they were one of their few scholarship offers, possibly visited, until late in the game when a power 5 team came along and extended one.

For example, last year in the NBA Draft, Mfiondu Kabengele from Florida State was taken in the first round and said his only other offers were Binghamton and Vermont.

In the past, former Iowa State/NBA center/author Paul Shirley was recruited by UVM under TB: Shirley: When basketball became the crying game

I recall someone once telling me that Royal Ivey took a visit to UVM or something before blowing up and going to Texas. No idea if that's true or not, but it's interesting. I'm sure in the days before the recruiting mixtapes and edits online there was a lot more of that. Wasn't Tim Duncan only recruited by Hartford and Wake Forest? Hartford also had Petrusev from Gonzaga committed at one point. He's a likely first rounder this year.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
I heard at one point we had recruited Malik Rose and he even took a visit. I don't know if that was true. Went to Drexel instead and played 15 seasons.

We had been so bad for so long that my guess is that Tom Sullivan (95-2004) probably had some kids in that he was able to connect with because he was a highly connected assistant under PJ Carlesimo at Seton Hall and played under Digger Phelps at Fordham. But I am not aware of any for certain visits.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Mamadou N'Daiye maybe? Nick Mayo?

The top, top level Maine HS kids were never coming to Maine, like Nik Caner-Medley or Ralph Mims. Other than Mayo (who Maine probably had a shot at before he had a good AAU tournament in Kentucky), most of the kids who went out of state to play either came back or didn't pan out. Or both.

In recent memory, Maine recruiting is generally "who out there doesn't have an offer" type guys.

·
Premium Member
33,132 Posts
Think I've read multiple places that UVM was Pat Connaughton's first offer for a while. Ended up at Notre Dame and now in NBA w/ Milwaukee Bucks.

·
5,947 Posts
I heard somewhere that UMBC was Carson Purefoy's first choice until he was turned off by Randy Monroe. Not that he would have been a world changer, though he did have a very solid career for the Seawolves, but this was during UMBC's single-digit win years.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Maine is probably the one school where their what if is if all their good players stayed. There was a period where they had enough talent transfer out to finish second at least.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
You can look at this in the opposite direction, too.

For Vermont, what if Coppenrath goes to Albany (which I believe was the only other D-1 school even interested)?

...or wants to play right away, and goes to a D-2 like St. Mike's?

...or (in what was not as popular an option 20 years ago) goes to prep school instead of redshirting?

Certainly the biggest "return on investment" player in UVM's history, if not America East history.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Probably Kabengele for Binghamton. Though they were also early on Luka Garza, perhaps his first offer even, as he was a few years behind Marlon Beck at Maret HS. Was productive at a freshman and sophomore, but had a monster season at Iowa this year averaging about 24 pts, 10 boards and nearly 2 blocks a night. Obviously his recruitment blew up beyond what Binghamton could compete with.

Just this past season Binghamton lost out to Niagara for Noah Waterman, the only other school to offer him. He did enter the transfer portal but something tells me at his size he’ll transfer up. Modest production this past season but one to keep an eye on.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Thought this might be an interesting idea to pass the time...who is a player that your team was recruiting, who then ended up going elsewhere at like a power 5 level and had an all-conference career, and/or made it to the NBA? High profile guys only. Lots of guys became all conference in mid-major leagues, so let's try and keep it to "the big time"

Lots of flexibility on what that means whether it was your team was on them early and then they blew up, or if they were one of their few scholarship offers, possibly visited, until late in the game when a power 5 team came along and extended one.

For example, last year in the NBA Draft, Mfiondu Kabengele from Florida State was taken in the first round and said his only other offers were Binghamton and Vermont.

In the past, former Iowa State/NBA center/author Paul Shirley was recruited by UVM under TB: Shirley: When basketball became the crying game

I recall someone once telling me that Royal Ivey took a visit to UVM or something before blowing up and going to Texas. No idea if that's true or not, but it's interesting. I'm sure in the days before the recruiting mixtapes and edits online there was a lot more of that. Wasn't Tim Duncan only recruited by Hartford and Wake Forest? Hartford also had Petrusev from Gonzaga committed at one point. He's a likely first rounder this year.
Marcus Camby was also down to Hartford or Umass

·
Premium Member
33,132 Posts

For Vermont, what if Coppenrath goes to Albany (which I believe was the only other D-1 school even interested)?

...or (in what was not as popular an option 20 years ago) goes to prep school instead of redshirting?

Certainly the biggest "return on investment" player in UVM's history, if not America East history.
I would

I would have liked to see a combo of Orciari/Todd Roberts from Fair Haven at UVM. Orciari and Roberts were both (by far) the two best players in the state coming out of HS that year. Roberts went on to a Hall of Fame career at St. Mike’s. Think he would have been a solid player for UVM at minimum.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I would have liked to see a combo of Orciari/Todd Roberts from Fair Haven at UVM. Orciari and Roberts were both (by far) the two best players in the state coming out of HS that year. Roberts went on to a Hall of Fame career at St. Mike’s. Think he would have been a solid player for UVM at minimum.
I think about Orciari every now and then (best VT HS player I've ever personally witnessed, and I'm not sure it's close). The last great player of the UVM Dark Ages. The "What If?" that comes to mind is "What if he was like 2-3 years younger?" Another legit wing/perimeter threat on that '05 team? Good God...

But, another discussion for another thread for another day.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I asked this same question to one of my friends who reminded me of the time we had to listen to Lonergan tell us how he offered Terrelle Pryor, which...would have had to monitor local tattoo parlors for autographed images. I think there was another guy who choose football over basketball...made the NFL, went to a Pac 12 school I think blanking on his name though.

Going into the wayback machine, it is pretty crazy that in the 80s Vermont had some very good players who did really well at other schools: Keith Cieplicki and Jim McCaffrey. Cieplicki was William & Mary's all-time leading scorer I think for a while and MCaffrey started at St. Mike's then went to Holy Cross and was an all-league guy. Both were drafted too. That was when it was like 10 rounds or something. It was before Tom Brennan, but gotta think those two in the backcourt especially in that time when they were very bad would have been helpful.

·
The People's Champ
700 Posts
most recently I would say the loses of recruits for Hartford after Simovic left, most notably, Filip Petrusev who will most likely end up being a lottery pick at worst a first rounder. At a lower level Luka Vasic, who since got hurt, but he would've made an immediate splash for Hartford if he didn't change teams late in recruiting. Again super low level but Hawks would've had a nice season with Pancake Thomas, and Jalen Ross' senior years together, with John Carroll returning from major injury.

·
Registered
566 Posts
If you want to go way back, Jack Phelan just missed with Dana Barros. Not sure what exactly but something happened with his family and Phelan. Barros went on to BC and the NBA.

Paul Brazeau was confident he had Tim Duncan wrapped up because no one else was looking at him until Wake Forest got involved very late.

I remember Marcus Camby on campus. He lived not far from U of H. And Petrusev actually gave Hartford a verbal.

Lamont Middleton who was all everything for his first 2 years at Hartford transferred to St John's with the old Big East and put up respectable numbers for them as a starter.

The near misses have been heartreaking.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts