Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
most recently I would say the loses of recruits for Hartford after Simovic left, most notably, Filip Petrusev who will most likely end up being a lottery pick at worst a first rounder. At a lower level Luka Vasic, who since got hurt, but he would've made an immediate splash for Hartford if he didn't change teams late in recruiting. Again super low level but Hawks would've had a nice season with Pancake Thomas, and Jalen Ross' senior years together, with John Carroll returning from major injury.
They also had a verbal from Daly at this time. They had no openings for the spring signings so he ended up going to Delaware (and being their best player) and then transferred to St Josephs and is their best player. Of course then Pancake announces his transfer in August so we not only lose Pancake that year but miss out on Daly as well. Double wammy.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
If you want to go way back, Jack Phelan just missed with Dana Barros. Not sure what exactly but something happened with his family and Phelan. Barros went on to BC and the NBA.

Paul Brazeau was confident he had Tim Duncan wrapped up because no one else was looking at him until Wake Forest got involved very late.

I remember Marcus Camby on campus. He lived not far from U of H. And Petrusev actually gave Hartford a verbal.

Lamont Middleton who was all everything for his first 2 years at Hartford transferred to St John's with the old Big East and put up respectable numbers for them as a starter.

The near misses have been heartreaking.
I completely forgot about Barros.

The Tim Duncan thing was a killer as Brazeau was the only D1 coach to go on a home visit to him in St Croix. Problem was when he visited Hartford the weather couldn't have been worse that whole weekend. Then he goes to Winston Salem and it is 60 and sunny.

Brazeau also was down to the wire with a guard who ended up going to UVM who was excellent. Forgot his name. At that point I think every D1 player who lived in Vermont had gone to UVM. Brazeau thought this kid was coming to Hartford but of course he ended up at UVM.

When Leibovitz was the coach one year he had all his signings in place....one of the UVM assts (I think Agel) was at a tourney and was talking to Leibovitz about players to look at in CT. Leibovitz brought up Trimboli.

Camby was on campus plenty and watched a bunch of Hartford games.

I think Lamont in all the years I have watched Hartford was the best Hawk I have ever seen. Can you imagine if he didn't transfer and he would have been a junior and senior for Vin's fresh and soph years.

“I remember it was really cold. He wanted to come to one of our practices, and the practice date was October 15,” Brazaeu told WTNH’s Kels Dayton. “As luck would have it, it was just miserable. I don’t know if that played any role in his decision, but it probably didn’t help.”

What happened next has been told and retold countless times: Duncan chose Wake Forest, honed his skills for four years, then went on to enjoy one of the greatest careers in NBA history.

“The what-ifs are fun to laugh about,” Brazaeu told WTNH. “I didn’t spend a lot of time thinking about it. Would it have been great to get another good player back then? Yeah. But it didn’t happen, so we moved on.”

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Brazeau also was down to the wire with a guard who ended up going to UVM who was excellent. Forgot his name. At that point I think every D1 player who lived in Vermont had gone to UVM. Brazeau thought this kid was coming to Hartford but of course he ended up at UVM.
Given Brazeau's timeline, that was probably Tony Orciari (HS Class of '97). 1743 career points for UVM (2nd all-time when he graduated), first Cat to make over 300 career 3-pointers. AE Rookie of the Year, 4-time all-conference selection (twice on the 1st team). I'm sure Hartford would have found a role for him. :)

Probably doesn't get quite enough mention historically because his timing was bad: his senior year was TJ's freshman year, Taylor's redshirt year, and the last year of "The CAA 4" in the league. He just missed out on the breakout.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Given Brazeau's timeline, that was probably Tony Orciari (HS Class of '97). 1743 career points for UVM (2nd all-time when he graduated), first Cat to make over 300 career 3-pointers. AE Rookie of the Year, 4-time all-conference selection (twice on the 1st team). I'm sure Hartford would have found a role for him. :)

Probably doesn't get quite enough mention historically because his timing was bad: his senior year was TJ's freshman year, Taylor's redshirt year, and the last year of "The CAA 4" in the league. He just missed out on the breakout.
you are 100% correct. It was Orciari. Yeah a bet Hartford would have found a role for him. I wonder if Hartford ever recruited Carberry or Shields. I know they didn’t recruit SIsca ( went to our local high school). I know they also didn’t recruit Trapani. I went to a game with a friend of mine and Trapani’s dad.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

You mean to tell me Shoe DeJong was not the Vermonter that got away from the rest of the league in that timeframe?!

·
Gr8t Dane
699 Posts
Can't think of many for UA on their short D1 history. I'm sure there are a few. They supposedly had a lot of interest and a shot at Joe Girard III, then he finished his sophomore year of high school... And no one in the AE level had a chance.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
This one never came out for Stony Brook. Nerlens Noel, who ended up signing with Kentucky, was on the verge of signing with Stony Brook. What happened is Jameel Warney committed first and Nerlens thought that would affect his playing time so he backed out of a verbal he had with Steve Pikiell and ended up in the SEC. That is probably the biggest fish that got away for Stony Brook.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Camby was on campus plenty and watched a bunch of Hartford games.

I think Lamont in all the years I have watched Hartford was the best Hawk I have ever seen. Can you imagine if he didn't transfer and he would have been a junior and senior for Vin's fresh and soph years.
Back then UMass wasn't very good and Calipari was just getting things started.

I agree Lamont was a great player. Him playing with Vin would have been something special. Vin was the one that thankfully didn't get away despite a HUGE push by Jim Calhoun Vin's senior year in high school.

·
Registered
144 Posts
you are 100% correct. It was Orciari. Yeah a bet Hartford would have found a role for him. I wonder if Hartford ever recruited Carberry or Shields. I know they didn’t recruit SIsca ( went to our local high school). I know they also didn’t recruit Trapani. I went to a game with a friend of mine and Trapani’s dad.
How did Conley end up at UNH?

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
How did Conley end up at UNH?
He wanted to be there and get away from home and Lonergan wanted to act like he wasn't good enough to get in academically (but was for UNH which has equal academic standards basically), when the truth was the guy really didn't want to play for him. Also, people really don't know Conley was tight with the Karim brothers from Burlington who played football at UNH and their experience there played a hand. He would have been nice to have at UVM, but I think he made the best choice for him, which is all you want kids to do really.

Lonergan really looked down and trashed Vermont HS basketball when he arrived. Like, by and large it's not going to produce talent but it's kind of funny that while he was around VT had a very good crop of players who were good to respectable enough D1 contributors: Conley, Bergmann, Joe O'Shea, Clancy Rugg, Matt Glass. Becker was able to get the most benefit out of Glass and Rugg, and I don't think this staff is afraid to take a chance on a VT kid if it's the right fit, but really outside Shungu there's not been much to write home about locally these days.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts