Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

You've got to be kidding me...

1K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  SheriffKilla 
#1 ·
I was watching the Bulls/Blazers game on WGN, when the channel showed a little graphic with the Bulls' next two games. One, was the Sacramento Kings. No problems there. The next team, or shall I say player, that they showed was: LeBron James. That's right, it showed the Bulls next two games are against the Sacramento Kings and LeBron James. I don't know if anybody else saw this, but I found it real troubling. If I was on the Cavs as a player or coach I would consider that a slap in the face, because that is basically promoting a player over a whole team, and franchise. I can't wait to tune in to the Bulls vs. James. :rolleyes: (Not an insult to the Bulls team, but definitely an insult to the genious that decided to put LeBron James on the graphic instead of the Cavs) I'm interested to see if LeBron can beat a team by himself.

So, two questions:

1) Does this bother you? Why or why not?

2) Do you consider this overhype?

(This is just a sample of what I saw on WGN)

Next two games:

Sacramento Kings
LeBron James

LeBron James instead of the Cleveland Cavaliers, are you freakin kidding me?

See less See more
#6 ·
That's how the game is marketed to casual fans, by the stars... maybe it shouldn't be that way, but I don't think it's a big deal in that specific example.
I think it is a bigger deal in that example. If in the paper or something it said the Bulls vs. LeBron James AND the Cavs, I think it would be fine. But promoting a player over a whole team is just absurd in my mind.

The biggest reason I have a problem with this is because I've never seen anything like that before. I've never seen the Bulls vs Tim Duncan, or the Bulls vs Tracy McGrady etc. Another thing that bothers me is that it is also promoting LeBron is better than the rest of the league or something.

I don't even remember seeing anything like that in the days of MJ.

#8 ·
I think I can give a fair and balanced view of LeBron (unless im going at therealdeal or jockrider). I think that is pretty dumb. I mean, they're probably trying to get people to watch, but I think people that dont know James is on the Cavs dont deserve to watch the game anyway. However, this is not James' fault as some people might say.

This is overhype. One of the only instances of overhype i've seen. Why? Because LeBron, or MJ or Magic, cant beat a team by himself. But then again, it was only a small clip.

#9 ·
But then again, it was only a small clip.
Well, I'm sorry if I tried to make it out to be a big deal or something, but it did bother me just enough to start a thread about it. I'll just say I won't lose any sleep over something like that.

#11 ·
LeBron James is currently the game's biggest marketing point.

If you regard this from "business" point of view. Its logical.

Obviously, putting LeBron instead of Cavs, will draw more attention, hence more ratings.

Basketball TV is all about ratings, because thats how they make money.... its not that big of a deal.

#12 ·
Originally posted by <b>KokoTheMonkey</b>!
I was watching the Bulls/Blazers game on WGN, when the channel showed a little graphic with the Bulls' next two games. One, was the Sacramento Kings. No problems there. The next team, or shall I say player, that they showed was: LeBron James. That's right, it showed the Bulls next two games are against the Sacramento Kings and LeBron James. I don't know if anybody else saw this, but I found it real troubling. If I was on the Cavs as a player or coach I would consider that a slap in the face, because that is basically promoting a player over a whole team, and franchise. I can't wait to tune in to the Bulls vs. James. :rolleyes: (Not an insult to the Bulls team, but definitely an insult to the genious that decided to put LeBron James on the graphic instead of the Cavs) I'm interested to see if LeBron can beat a team by himself.

So, two questions:

1) Does this bother you? Why or why not?

2) Do you consider this overhype?

(This is just a sample of what I saw on WGN)

Next two games:

Sacramento Kings
LeBron James

LeBron James instead of the Cleveland Cavaliers, are you freakin kidding me?
Good message boards have good posters like this.

#15 ·
David Stern and the league long ago elevated the star's importance over the team's importance.

This is just a natural outgrowth of that. Casual fans may not link up LeBron James with the Cleveland Cavaliers. So WGN wants to make certain people know that that broadcast will feature that brand-spanking new prodigy you've heard so much about.

The star is now the brand name, not the team. In 1991, you had a classic video games called "Bulls vs. Lakers." The team names evoked the stars on each side. Today, there's no way they'd market a game like that. It would be "Tracy vs. Kobe 2k5!"

#16 ·
Before this gets too out of hand, it was talking about the Bulls home games, and it was pointing out the last time for Chicago fans to see Lebron James...buy your tickets now type of thing.

It's nothing new. In case you didn't know, go check every team's ticket page. They sell Lebron James packages. Or they used to. I think they still do. But you can buy a ticket to the Cavs game and get like a couple games around that or something like that.

It was a story way way way back in preseason...sort of.

I think you're overreacting. It's nothing to get mad at Lebron or whoever about. It's just a marketing ploy by the Bulls and other teams.

What sells more tickets to casual fans? Bulls vs. Cavs or Bulls vs. Lebron?

They do similiar things with the Sixers I believe. Or they have. The NBA has always marketed its stars over it's teams. Ever since Magic, Larry and then Michael. Thats what differentiates them from MLB and NFL which are two leagues marketed on their teams.

I guess we could discuss on a more general level whether or not that's the best approach. But it's not something you can really change at this point.

#18 ·
Originally posted by <b>tpb2</b>!

Man, video games have come along way.

Minstrel, did you use that analogy before? It seems like a hard thing to get from this.
Nope, it's an original creation by me, that whole video game thing. What do you mean by, "It seems like a hard thing to get from this?"

#20 ·
A better question is why were you watching a Bulls game?!?

#21 ·
Originally posted by <b>Minstrel</b>!
David Stern and the league long ago elevated the star's importance over the team's importance.

This is just a natural outgrowth of that. Casual fans may not link up LeBron James with the Cleveland Cavaliers. So WGN wants to make certain people know that that broadcast will feature that brand-spanking new prodigy you've heard so much about.

The star is now the brand name, not the team. In 1991, you had a classic video games called "Bulls vs. Lakers." The team names evoked the stars on each side. Today, there's no way they'd market a game like that. It would be "Tracy vs. Kobe 2k5!"
lol, I played the game, u werent allow to do any pump fakes, it's either travel or a jumpshot. I believed there wont be any mis layups or dunks once you get the player into the motion.

A more pathetic computer game was Boston vs Lakers. If u are playing aginst the computer, thier players dont know how to dribble with the ball, LMAO. And Bird shooting doesnt make sense at all, hit shots will go in almost everytime. And Jordan 360 dunk from the baseline mislead my whole conception on Jordan dunking ability back then. lol.

#22 ·
Good message boards have good posters like this.
I'm sure this is sarcasm, but thanks anyway.

Is there any more advice you can give me John? I'm really excited that someone who I don't even know wants to give me advice on how to live.

#23 ·
Originally posted by <b>tpb2</b>!

How would you remember that game in the middle of this discussion? Or maybe it's 4 am and I'm just getting weird about video game analogies?
Oh, I don't know. Just popped into my head as an instance where teams were marketed.

It was only 1 AM for me. ;)

#24 ·
Originally posted by <b>KokoTheMonkey</b>!

I'm sure this is sarcasm, but thanks anyway.

Is there any more advice you can give me John? I'm really excited that someone who I don't even know wants to give me advice on how to live.

Hey listen Kid, I have no beef with you and I like you as a poster. It was just that I did agree with your vent on James so I was more admire you than anything.

#26 ·
I saw this too but I just chuckled because I understood why they did it. they want to reach the people that don't watch basketball regularly but are intrigued by the idea that lebron is playing and they would have an opportunity to watch him.

Chicago Bulls vs the Cleveland Cavaliers doesn't sound appealing. you need to have a selling point. If MJ was still with the Bulls, it would be MJ vs. Lebron. This is true in all of entertainment. For instance, you may want to showcase the first billed actor more than the movie itself like Adam Sandler in "some crappy movie."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.