1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See the team rankings

Blazers ranked 25th in FT%

:nonono:

I think we could have won a few more games if we had a higher %. we missed too many last night too!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Lol SA .663
That's not so bad for Portland.. I feel like the problems are somewhere else.

·
Registered
782 Posts
why don't the Blazers shell out a few bucks for some specialty coaches, both Ruben and Darius are aggressive players who get fouled a lot and need to learn to shoot free throws better. A good free throw coach might help.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Portland shot better from the 3-point line last night than they did from the free-throw line.

Let that one sink in.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Whenever the subject of free throws is mentioned, I always think of this article from the Oregonian, Nov. 22, 1999.

(Excerpts...)

BLAZERS' FREE THROWS ARE PAYING OFF

For Portland, the line is no longer a liability, and that makes it much tougher for opponents in the fourth quarter. Heard the cliche about playing one game at a time? Too many times, probably. Well, here's another one: The Trail Blazers are trying to win the NBA championship one point at a time.

"We've got guys who are very good free-throw shooters, and we've got guys who are getting better," coach Mike Dunleavy said. "We spend a lot of time on it."

"You've got to make your free throws," a pet phrase of former radio play-by-play broadcaster Bill Schonely, probably trails only "Rip City" in sayings familiar to longtime Blazers fans.

Only recently, the Blazers were not making their free throws, or at least not enough of them, particularly down the stretch. From 1994- 97, the Blazers ranked 26th, 29th and 26th out of 29 teams in free- throw percentage, shooting 69.7, 66.2 and 71.3 percent.

The Blazers have an edge over most teams in that their big men are good at the foul line. .......The Blazers also have so many good guards and ball-handlers, including Steve Smith and Detlef Schrempf, they do not have to expose a shaky free-throw shooter on the floor in the closing minutes.

The depth of Portland's free-throw shooting will make the Blazers hard to catch with time running out. They should win a high percentage of their close games.

On the wall of the Blazers' practice facility at Tualatin is a free-throw "ladder," a chart showing each player's percentage of foul shots made in practice. The players shoot as many as 50 free throws after each practice (100 during the twice-daily workouts during training camp). The No. 1- ranked shooter goes against No. 2, and No. 3 faces No. 4, and so on. If the lower-ranked
player outshoots his opponent after practice, he moves up a spot.

"It's hard to simulate pressure situations in practice, so we try to make it competition more than just repetition, so it means something," assistant coach Jim Eyen said. "We just try to make it known how strongly we feel about free-throw shooting. We want guys concentrating at the line."

If a Blazer is struggling a lot at the free-throw line, the coaches might suggest a key thought to snap the slump. "We try not to get too much into changing mechanics, though, during the
season. The last thing you want is to have guys thinking too much during games," Eyen said. "But if it's a simple adjustment, like a guy isn't following through or has stiff legs, we mention that and reinforce the good form."

I left out all the stuff about Sabonis. ;)

But I thought you guys might be interested in seeing what was seemingly instrumental in the FT success of the team a few seasons ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts