• Shareef

Votes: 17 53.1%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scenario:

You are the Blazers' GM. You know you've got to move either Zach or Shareef this summer, because there's just not enough PT at PF for both of them. You're asking around, and you find another GM who is considering moving his top-flight SG. He seems interested in either Zach or Shareef. You know that if you pull this off, you don't really need to make any other changes to the roster for next season.

Who do you trade? Zach or Shareef? And why?

PBF

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
If it is in the Blazer management's hands, which I don't know that it is, then I'd say you move Zach.

These are my reasons:

* As it stands, Reef can put up the same numbers consistantly and for the foreseeable future.
* Randolph's future is uncertain. Will he recover 100%? Will he be able to improve after the surgery?
* There was regression in Zach's level of play from last year - was that a "blip" or was that indicative of a trend?
* Reef will be a lower salary, thus freeing up cap for other FAs.
* There is no question that Reef won't have off-the-court issues that bring bad press to Portland. They already have reason enough, why give them more?

Is it possible that Zach recovers 100%? Sure is. Is it likely? Yes, pretty likely.

Is Zach going to improve? I think it is debateable. He think he'll become more "efficient" as a scorer, but his body limits his overall potential levels as well as he doesn't seem to understand the game of basketball.

If I'm the GM, it's a PR move and a salary move. The talent level is the same over the next 4 years - and that is the length of the average contract. So, I say it is relatively easy.

But, I don't think Reef stays in Portland. Unless they can make a SERIOUS move to put them into contention - I see Reef leaving.

Play.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
depends on who you can get for either player. I think you could obviously get more for Zach (more due to the fact that he's under contract and younger).

I'd rather keep Shareef, as long as trading Zach meant we thinned the team a bit at the SF spot too. Shareef isn't going to take over games (neither is Zach really), but Shareef is a better role player (which I think the team needs out of the PF actually..since neither one is a "stud").

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Zachs age is better to go with the existing players, in addition he is already under contract so getting rid of him would be more difficult than getting rid of Reef.

Neither is better than the other IMO.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Trade Rahim. He has proven to not be a go-to-guy in the clutch. He has trouble handling the ball when he gets it down low and lacks the upper body muscle mass to finish when he gets deep position. He is a good player, but really nothing more. Zach still can get much better, you can see it in his work ethic. Not to mention Zach is only 23, Rahim is pushing 30.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
It sounds like in this scenario the two players' trade value is exactly the same. If that's the case, you trade SAR.

Zach will probably never be a superstar, but we KNOW that SAR will never be one... Randolph's upside, even if it's less than some of his peers, makes him a more valuable player than SAR and should be the one we keep if we could get the same value by trading either player.

Ed O.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
If you would look at the last few years as an indicator, sign and trades are much less likely than the FA just walking. In all likelihood, Shareef just walks and makes the desicion for you guys... keeping Zach.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
I like both players, but I think that you could get more for Randolph. I think alot of it depends on who you would be bring back in the trade. Like Hap mentioned up above, Rahim seems to be more a role player than Randolph and might fit into the direction of the team concept. The team seems to play with a better flow with Rahim in, not saying that Randolph won't learn to pass out of the double team later in his career, but Rahim is where many of us wish Randolph was. Short term you move Randolph. :whoknows:

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Based on the assumption that we could trade either of them alone for the same (or at least comparable) trade, I would certainly trade Shareef. I like him, but Zach has more potential. Some people think Zach won't get better, but his past has proven a desire to do so. I think he will exceed Shareef's abilities in the future.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
MAS RipCity said:
Trade Rahim. He has proven to not be a go-to-guy in the clutch. He has trouble handling the ball when he gets it down low and lacks the upper body muscle mass to finish when he gets deep position. He is a good player, but really nothing more. Zach still can get much better, you can see it in his work ethic. Not to mention Zach is only 23, Rahim is pushing 30.
Shareef is pushing 29 actually, considering he's 28. and it's not like Zach has great upper body strength, good hands, or a go to guy.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
If value for neither mattered I would take Zach pretty easily. He's done with SAR has at age 23. I think someone like Zach would be much harder to fight through screens and is easily a better rebounder. I'd go with Zach no doubt. I just hope he can come back okay from the surgery.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
How 'bout both?

Can we get Rasheed back for the pair of 'em?

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
HOWIE said:
I like both players, but I think that you could get more for Randolph. I think alot of it depends on who you would be bring back in the trade. Like Hap mentioned up above, Rahim seems to be more a role player than Randolph and might fit into the direction of the team concept. The team seems to play with a better flow with Rahim in, not saying that Randolph won't learn to pass out of the double team later in his career, but Rahim is where many of us wish Randolph was. Short term you move Randolph. :whoknows:

I have to agree with Howie... this closely resembles my feelings. Zach has youth, and potential to even maybe better than Rahim in the future. They are both comparable players in the 20 and 9-10 category.

But I think maybe you have a better chance of trading Zach for a high draft pick... aka Storytellers scenario... in a delayed draft day deal.

Rahim does have the history on his side, and at 28 has many years left on him. You simply know what you get with Rahim and he has been pretty much injury free except this years elbow problem. Zach will probably recover 100%, but you never know for sure.

You have a chance to move either one for a decent player or prospect in the future. If it improves the team do it...

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Hap said:
and it's not like Zach has great upper body strength, good hands, or a go to guy.
Huh? :whofarted: Zach hits big time shots all of the time. He also has some of the softest hands around the hoop, he rarely will drop a pass or get it stripped from his hands. I don't see Zach having a problem getting rebounds either. When healthy, he is atop the rebounding leaders and more importantly offensive rebounding leaders. I think his upper body strength is fine. I'm not saying Zach is the 2nd comming, he has his flaws but those 3 you pointed out are not flaws in his game.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
MAS RipCity said:
Huh? :whofarted: Zach hits big time shots all of the time.
No he doesn't.

In fact, last year when we compared Zach in the clutch percentages to Reef in the clutch percentages - Reef was superior in every aspect... including rebounding averages.

He also has some of the softest hands around the hoop, he rarely will drop a pass or get it stripped from his hands.
Did you even watch him?

He constantly did, because he's short and keeps the ball low. Kind of like Reef.

I don't see Zach having a problem getting rebounds either. When healthy, he is atop the rebounding leaders and more importantly offensive rebounding leaders.
Most of his offensive rebounds are from his own misses.

Play.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
You must be watching different Blazer games then I do,because I don't recall Zach missing hardly any potential game tying or winning shots. He hit the turn around at Denver in April last year that put us up 2 with seconds to go. He carried us down the stretch at home vs the Sonics this year. IIRC, he also had the GW vs. Atlanta this year as well. Just to name a few.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
We could probably get more for Zach. SAR would be a good influence on the younger players seeing that his past is pretty much spotless. Plus, he would provide some much needed veteran leadership. If we could get a top tier SG for Zach and fillers, SAR would be an excellent complementary player as a 2nd fiddle while not demanding the ball to be effective.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Keep Zach.

The reason is simple: SAR does not want to be here. Right now there is an opportunity to really push a team, to get the few wins the Blazers could have had recently. SAR has not taken it, and I have lost a lot of respect for him. I believe that Zach in this situation would have played it very differently.

The Blazers need the PF to be a star. Not a superstar, but a star. Why? Because the team is short of them.

center: Pryz and Theo. Average, maybe better than average. Good, clean workers, but no star material. Still, Pryz could be a critical piece on a contender in a few years.

Point: Telfair. Definitely star material. But not there yet. And he needs someone to pass to -- not just on the perimeter.

SF: Star material in Darius... but probably too flakey. We'll see. Outlaw could be a star. I love Khyrapa, but Ruben Patterson with a jump shot is not going to carry this team. Nobody is there yet.

2G: No stars at all. If Monia is good, he'll be a solid player, but he is not going to blow people away. Think Jeff Malone. And nobody in the draft is screaming star material either. Certainly not out of the box.

SAR is a very good player. But he lacks the passion *or* the consummate professionalism the Blazers so badly need for every spot on the roster. He is just playing out the clock. And that, to me, means that he is not able to lead this team back to winning.

So keep Zach, unless you can get someone like a Redd -- someone who really is a notch above, not just a very good player.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts