Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
15 STRONG
27,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you guys know my sources (believe them or not) and I hear that Zo might be headed to Memphis.

No details-just what i've heard lately

If I find anything out-I will tell ya

·
Jersey Girl
10,482 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Caron_Butler</b>!
you guys know my sources (believe them or not) and I hear that Zo might be headed to Memphis.

No details-just what i've heard lately

If I find anything out-I will tell ya
interesting...

so, the new york rumors are dead, right?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Alright!

Gotta love having this insider here, fellas! Thanks, Caron_Butler!

A few weeks ago, I was trying to figure out what packages the Heat could get in exchange for Alonzo Mourning. One of the packages I came up with was this one from Memphis:

Alonzo Mourning to the Grizz; Jason Williams, Michael Dickerson, Lorenzen Wright, and Stromile Swift to the Heat

Jerry West doesn't want these dudes, he wants to dump their lousy salaries as soon as possible. So please, let's not talk about how the Grizz are getting the shaft here, because they're not. You know why I know that the Grizz can't win with a nucleus of Williams, Dickerson, and Wright? Because they HAVEN'T won with a nucleus of Williams, Dickerson, and Wright. These guys are getting paid a ton of money to do what, lead their team to the bottom of the NBA? They gotta go!

So, Caron_Butler? Do any of those four names sound familiar? And when might this trade go down? Is it something that IS going to go down, or is it just an offer on the table from Jerry West?

Nothing would set the Heat back more than doing this deal. They are ALREADY stuck with the terrible longterm contract of Brian Grant (and Eddie Jones, too, who is a nice player but who doesn't need to be making the kind of money he's making, probably), this deal would give them THREE MORE longterm contracts of NON-STARS. FIVE non-stars locked up FOREVER! And the Heat probably wouldn't even make the damn playoffs next year, not with this crap:

Starting lineup

PG Jason Williams (32 minutes/game)
SG Eddie Jones (32 minutes/game)
SF Caron Butler (32 minutes/game)
PF Brian Grant (32 minutes/game)
C Lorenzen Wright (28 minutes/game)

Key reserves: Stromile Swift (24 minutes/game), Michael Dickerson (20 minutes/game), LaPhonso Ellis (16 minutes/game), Vladimir Stepania (12 minutes/game), Anthony Carter (12 minutes/game)

End of the bench (no PT): Eddie House, Rasual Butler

Let go (not re-signed): Chris Gatling, Rod Strickland, Jimmy Jackson, Kendall Gill, Sean Marks

Of course, Pat Riley is AN INCREDIBLE coach, still one of the 3-4 best coaches in the NBA. So MAYBE this bunch makes the playoffs. But he's pretty much STUCK with this bunch for the next SEVERAL years.

CARON_BUTLER! Do any of these names sound familiar?

Thanks again for the inside scoop! To those who don't know, THIS KID HAS CREDIBILITY, PEOPLE!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
New York rumors...

Originally posted by <b>BizzyRipsta</b>!

interesting...

so, the new york rumors are dead, right?
I don't know, not necessarily. West will continue offering these scrubs around the league all summer until somebody takes them. Maybe he just wants the Knicks front office folks to know that MAYBE their longtime arch enemy, Pat Riley's Heat, MIGHT end up with them instead.

HOPEFULLY, Jerry West will wash his hands of these scrubs SOON!

·
Moderator/Head Decepticon
7,624 Posts
I like your trade proposal, roby. I think the Grizzle could be a good team with Zo, but they lose a LOT of players for him. The Heat are getting a lot of good players, though.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Mourning to the Grizzlies...?

Hmm...well this IS coming from the guy who predicted the Mutombo trade...maybe it could happen...?

·
This...is BBB.net
5,416 Posts
I like the trade....but for future purposes....everyone knows that West wants Kobe when his contract runs up in LA LA land...and Aldridge on ESPN said that it could happen esspecially if Shaq Daddy is close to calling it quits...

Also the Grizzlies could be in serious contention for the Lebron sweepstakes by doing that trade...besides not having a point guard...they look pretty good

???
Kobe
Lebron
Gasol
Zo

6th man - Battier

I know it's just a pipe dream and there are a lot of if's and's and but's but hell...that's the fun!!!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Some thoughts...

1) Kobe has three more years left on his contract. It's pretty ridiculous to speculate what is going to happen in 2005 when we don't even know what's going to happen in 2003 (or 2002, for that matter).

2) Shaq won't retire until his contract runs out. The dude will be making A TON OF MONEY over the final few seasons of his current deal with The Lake Show. He has at LEAST four more years to go on his current deal, by the way.

3) Pat Riley would really be shooting his team in the foot for the long haul if he agreed to such a retarded trade (Jason Williams, Michael Dickerson, Lorenzen Wright, and Stromile Swift for Alonzo Mourning). The Grizz are looking at another sub-30 win season with the following projected lineup:

PG Jason Williams
SG Michael Dickerson
SF Shane Battier
PF Pau Gasol
C Lorenzen Wright

Now look at the Heat's lineup if this trade goes down:

PG Jason Williams
SG Eddie Jones
SF Caron Butler
PF Brian Grant
C Lorenzen Wright

Jones is better than Dickerson, Butler and Battier are pretty close (for now, but Butler will quickly get a lot better than Battier), Gasol is better than Grant. Why is Miami really any better than Memphis was last season if this trade goes down? How does Miami win if they do this deal? THEY DON'T. But that doesn't mean that they won't do the deal, Pat Riley has done dumb $hit before (especially lately). PLUS, the rumor comes from a reliable source (Caron_Butler). We'll see.

By the way, here's what the Grizz look like next year if this trade actually DOES happen:

Starting lineup

PG Earl Watson
SG Shane Battier
SF Drew Gooden
PF Pau Gasol
C Alonzo Mourning

Backups: Wesley Person, Tony Massenburg, Brevin Knight, Gordon Giricek, Robert Archibald, Chris Owens, Cezary Trybanski

Wow, talk about NO DEPTH! Massenburg, Knight, and Giricek as your 7th, 8th, and 9th dudes? UGH! This team would need to sign a player or two (or three!) to 1 year minimum salary veteran contracts, obviously. See my earlier post (http://www.basketballboards.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5372 or "Top 40 free agents still available...") on this board for some ideas of how the Grizz could fill out the roster a little bit. With some decent veteran backups, the team above should make a run at the 10th spot in the West, maybe even the 9th spot!

Projected Western Conference standings if this trade happens (and if the Grizz get some decent veteran backups):

1 Sacramento
2 San Antonio
3 L.A. Lakers
4 Dallas
5 Portland
6 L.A. Clippers
7 Minnesota
8 Seattle
---
9 Utah
10 Memphis
11 Phoenix
12 Houston
13 Golden State
14 Denver

·
15 STRONG
27,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Make sure you understand this, that I'm not announcing this at all, but I've heard their have been talks. I don't know who is involved besides Memphis and of course Zo. I would imagine if Miami did this trade (please no) that they wouldnt pick up all those salaries. If this trade goes down, they are shooting for Duncan next summer and giving up on this season.

I don't like it-but i'm just telling you what i've heard

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
If Miami trades Zo, they should get Gooden in the deal. Otherwise...they're just getting a potential 15-17 guy (Swift), and some locker room cancer.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Caron_Butler</b>!
Make sure you understand this, that I'm not announcing this at all, but I've heard their have been talks. I don't know who is involved besides Memphis and of course Zo. I would imagine if Miami did this trade (please no) that they wouldnt pick up all those salaries. If this trade goes down, they are shooting for Duncan next summer and giving up on this season.

I don't like it-but i'm just telling you what i've heard
The best way for the Heat to go after Tim Duncan next summer is to just hold onto Alonzo for themselves and let his contract expire after next season.

Duncan won't leave San Antonio, anyway. I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign an extension before the season starts, to be honest with you.

If the Heat do this sort of deal with Memphis, it'll be because they've decided that they CAN'T get Duncan or whoever next summer.

By the way, I don't see the Heat trading Mourning, it makes no sense.

·
15 STRONG
27,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree

I hope Zo is staying for the rest of his career

Miami has tried this many times to get the big free agent after the season-we went for TMac...we got EJ--we went for Duncan before and got Grant--we've went after Payton,Sprewell, Richmond, Howard, Ewing and Hill and we've never got any of them...except Howard, he signed, but we went over the cap :dead:

I think Zo will stay this season, re-sign for less to give them a shot at another player, and give Miami 3-4 more years then retire as a Heat

1 - 12 of 12 Posts