Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are rumors going around that his rehab is going very smoothly. He has to rest still for the immediate future, but they are saying that he could maybe make a come back in a year or two. What are your thoughts on it?

Personally, I think that if he can physically do it, and can contribute in a positive way, he should try it. I know it would mean a lot to him. I don't know where he would fit on the team though, since nened would have came over by then.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Here's the article:

Comeback by Mourning Isn't Out of the Question

Four weeks after Alonzo Mourning had a kidney transplant, he is craving a workout.

He tells his doctor that he wants to run and lift weights. By the end of this season, perhaps he will want to play basketball, too.

For now, Mourning must continue to rest. He cannot participate in any physical activity for at least another two weeks, but his recovery has gone so smoothly that his doctor, Gerald Appel, says there is a chance that Mourning will be able to return to the N.B.A. and rejoin the Nets.

"It could very well come up," Appel said Wednesday in a telephone interview. "The one thing Alonzo has never had is an N.B.A. championship, and if the Nets are contenders, this could be an issue. I'm not writing it off. As well as I've known Alonzo the last three and a half years, I know that it's in the back of his mind. So it has to be in the back of my mind, too."

As he rehabilitates at his home in New Jersey and as the incision near his abdomen heals, Mourning, 33, monitors the Nets and talks on the phone with Jason Kidd, Rod Thorn and Byron Scott.
If he's healthy, and there's little to no risk of his disease coming back, I'm all for it. There's no question he could help the Nets.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I'm sure the Nets would make room for Zo if he tried a come-back. I wonder if there's any chance Zo will be so aggressive he'll try to re-join the active roster for the post-season.

There'll be a role for Zo next season. It's highly unlikely Krstic will be a player right away. Very few Euros flash in their 1st season. The learning curve based on actual NBA experience is much more important, regardless of Euro experience, and it's not like Krstic is a Euro MVP or leader of a champion. Krstic might be an instant Gasol-esque success but the reasonable expectation is a year of seasoning before he flashes. Playing with an older, but healthier, energized and motivated Alonzo Mourning should be a good experience for the rookie.

Even if Zo makes a successful comeback, I doubt he would play past two seasons or eat up 35-plus MPG, so he shouldn't impede Krstic's development.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
I'd like to see him come back in some form. At least he is not taking the Nets money and hiding.

-Petey

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Nets Coach LAWRENCE FRANK has extended an invitation for ALONZO MOURNING to return to the team, at least to sit on the bench.

Mourning, who announced his retirement in November to undergo a kidney transplant, called Frank this week to offer his support. Frank is writing Mourning's number on the grease board before every game to serve as motivation.

"I hope he's back with us in one capacity or another," Frank said. "If everything looks great, we'd love to have him around." ED STEFANSKI, the Nets' senior vice president of basketball operations, said he doubted that Mourning could rejoin the team in any role this season.
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/30/sports/basketball/30NETS.html

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Makes a lot of sense. Frank seems to bring a more serious, intense, 'professional' mindset to the game, as opposed to Scott, and Zo would feed into that. In fact, he complained about the team's poor attitude earlier in the season. Put Scott and Zo together, and I doubt we'll see any more Memphis or Miami type 'nights off' from the team.

This would be a great chance for Zo to be around the game, work out in an NBA environment, and best of all, teach, which is something someone like Zo gravitates to naturally. As an incredibly well-paid quasi-assistant coach, Zo will either fall in love with coaching like his G-Town bro, Ewing, or he'll be drawn back into playing. Zo might even push to play this post-season.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NYCbballFan</b>!
Makes a lot of sense. Frank seems to bring a more serious, intense, 'professional' mindset to the game, as opposed to Scott, and Zo would feed into that. In fact, he complained about the team's poor attitude earlier in the season. Put Scott and Zo together, and I doubt we'll see any more Memphis or Miami type 'nights off' from the team.

This would be a great chance for Zo to be around the game, work out in an NBA environment, and best of all, teach, which is something someone like Zo gravitates to naturally. As an incredibly well-paid quasi-assistant coach, Zo will either fall in love with coaching like his G-Town bro, Ewing, or he'll be drawn back into playing. Zo might even push to play this post-season.
I don't know if he brings a mod intense and / or serious mindset to the game. The guys seem like they are laughing it up. Perhaps that is what they needed... someone they can relate to more. Even though alot of us agree Scott may not had been the greatest coach, he was a champion many times over... I don't care if he was riding coat-tails or not, but the point is he may had been too intense, serious and harsh?

-Petey

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Petey</b>!

I don't know if he brings a mod intense and / or serious mindset to the game. The guys seem like they are laughing it up. Perhaps that is what they needed... someone they can relate to more. Even though alot of us agree Scott may not had been the greatest coach, he was a champion many times over... I don't care if he was riding coat-tails or not, but the point is he may had been too intense, serious and harsh?

-Petey
There's a time to joke and there's a time to work. I learned from my old job you can be an overseer type and force your troops to train hard, but to make it work, you also need to communicate (key!), and inspire trust from your soldiers in your technical proficiency, work ethic and attention to detail. You can't fool your troops - my rule of thumb was that I was always working AT LEAST as hard as my hardest working soldier, which is the only way I could fairly expect them to work as hard as I asked.

We were all pros, just like the Nets, and I wasn't showing my troops anything they didn't know. Soldiers make shamming an art form, but deep down most want to "be all they can be" or wouldn't have joined the Army in the first place. Basketball players don't work so hard to reach the NBA just to waste their time when they get there. My guys needed to believe their blood, sweat and tears were being invested into a plan that would set them up for success, not failure. To be an effective leader of men, you need to personally set the "be, know, do" example . . . talk the talk AND walk the walk . . . work harder AND smarter.

Obviously, Scott was never a soldier, but I digress. They may make multi-millions of dollars compared to the thousands my guys and I made, but human nature and leader-follower dynamics don't change all that much.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Also, from what our resident Zo insider, Caron Butler, was saying while Zo was here, it sounded like there was a lack of communication between him and Byron about his playing time. I have no idea what his relationship was with Frank, but from what has been said about Frank talking with each player and what he said yesterday, it will probably be a better experience for Zo than what he had before.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Originally posted by <b>schub</b>!
Also, from what our resident Zo insider, Caron Butler, was saying while Zo was here, it sounded like there was a lack of communication between him and Byron about his playing time. I have no idea what his relationship was with Frank, but from what has been said about Frank talking with each player and what he said yesterday, it will probably be a better experience for Zo than what he had before.
So much goes into good, effective leadership - JVG's frazzled look is probably the image of what an NBA coach SHOULD look like.

There have been many allusions and implied references from players, and I think even Frank, about the communication disconnect between Scott and team personnel. Even if 90% of what Scott wanted to do was quality stuff, if he can't communicate, it's not going to work.

·
Registered
411 Posts
If the Nets are payin him, then they might as well get some use out of him.

It'd be a great story if he can make yet another comeback attempt from his kidney ailment. Hopefully he's healthy enough to make it back.

I can see NJ/Brooklyn welcoming him with open arms.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Thompson Hopes 'Zo Stays Out

Alonzo Mourning hasn't said it, but John Thompson believes his former player will attempt a comeback this season following a kidney transplant. And Thompson hopes Mourning doesn't try it.

"What you want to know is whether he's going to come back here and try to play - and I think that's what he's going to try to do," said Thompson, the former Georgetown coach who handled the commentary for TNT at the Nets-Pistons game last night. "But he has never told me that. And I'm going to wear him out if he tries it."

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
If Thompson talks him out of it, the Nets should foward him the tab on Zo's contract.

-Petey

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>schub</b>!

LOL. Maybe he can help out with Deke's money too. :)
I'm not joking.

I was not too happy when we signed him. I can understand the risk he took to come back, and play. I understand he deserves the money, not on his play, or talent, but the Nets management's stupidity. BUT if he can play based on physical ability, he better be on the court or the bench. If not void his contract or as said find someone to pick up the tab... Thompson is wrong here... if the Nets owe him the money, if the doctors clear him to play, he owes the Nets the time.

-Petey

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Mourning's facility site for shoot-around

The Nets will hold their shoot-around this morning at the Overtown Youth Center, a 1,800-square foot state-of-the-art educational and athletic facility in a tough section of Miami that was the brainchild of Alonzo Mourning.

The former Net called it his greatest achievement of his many charitable endeavors.

The shoot-around has some wondering if Mourning will make his first visit with the Nets since getting a kidney transplant in early December. The Nets typically don't have shoot-arounds for night games that start as early as 6 p.m. And they typically hold Miami shoot-arounds at American Airlines Arena.

There also is a school of thought that Frank may just want to take the Nets to the OYC to show what their former teammate created.

Also, a tip on the nj.com board from an insider that Zo will indeed try to come back next year.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Speculations.

Zo hasn't visited with the Nets because's afraid of being inspired to come back too early to basketball.

If rumors start flying that a kidney-fied Zo will make a comeback and he's exposed in the expansion draft, will the Bobcats think it's a good idea to bring Zo back to Charlotte?

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NYCbballFan</b>!
Speculations.

Zo hasn't visited with the Nets because's afraid of being inspired to come back too early to basketball.

If rumors start flying that a kidney-fied Zo will make a comeback and he's exposed in the expansion draft, will the Bobcats think it's a good idea to bring Zo back to Charlotte?
Interesting thought, but I think it would be too much of a risk to take for a brand new franchise. Of course, if the rest of their draft is mostly role players, they may want a big name to draw fans. They can't just rely on the novelty of having a new team because they just had a team a few years ago.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
2 days after he starts playing if he is not selected by the Bobcats, the Nets management better wisen up and ship him out of town for an expiring contract.

-Petey

1 - 20 of 29 Posts