Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any update?

All I know is X-rays are negative which means squat when talking about severity of the majority of ankle sprains

·
15 STRONG
27,437 Posts
Pioneer10 said:
Any update?

All I know is X-rays are negative which means squat when talking about severity of the majority of ankle sprains
tough break....Hughes comes back, and you lose the other major piece to the puzzle...

I think the Cavs can cruise into 4th/5th without him, but to make it to the 2nd round, they need Big Z

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
"Z's MRI was fortunately negative...it is a sprain. The sprain was not desribed as mild though...it was described as not mild. Not quite sure what that means in games lost. They want to see how it does over night."

source : Realcavsfans.com

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Im listening to the post game show and they said if this was a biggger game he could've even come back tonight. He doubtfull for tomorrow. They said its not big at all, they'll see how he feels i the mourning

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Associated Press

CLEVELAND -- Cavaliers center Zydrunas Ilgauskas sprained his left ankle early in the first quarter against the Philadelphia 76ers on Tuesday night.

X-rays taken in the team's training room were negative, but the veteran center did not return to play.

Ilgauskas became tangled with 76ers center Samuel Dalembert about 10 feet from the basket and landed awkwardly on his left foot with 9:34 to play in the first quarter. Ilgauskas, who has had a history of foot problems throughout his career, fell hard to the court and rolled around in pain.

After a few moments, the 7-foot-3 center got up and walked on his own to the locker room for examination.

Ilgauskas missed the 1999-2000 season with a broken bone in his left foot. He missed his entire rookie season in 1996-97 with a broken right foot.

The veteran center has missed only one game this season and has played in 313 of a possible 320 games since the start of the 2001-02 season, however.

Ilgauskas is averaging 16.1 points and 7.7 rebounds for Cleveland, which has qualified for the postseason for the first time since 1998 but is batting to secure the fourth seed and homecourt advantage in the first round.

Coach Mike Brown said Ilgauskas is doubtful to play in New York on Wednesday.

"He had an MRI and it came out fine," Brown said. "We'll see how he feels in the morning."

·
15 STRONG
27,437 Posts
Let's see if LeBron is as good without Z in the middle......[/sarcasm]

Source:
The Wade Hater's Guide to Basketball, 2003-2006.

2,289 Posts
Give Z the much needed rest, I would think AV/Gooden/Marshall and even Bron can handle the load for one game against NY. Lebron averages almost as many boards as Zydrunas does anyways and we get a big guard that likes to get physical and rebound in Larry Hughes back we should be fine. Big Z has plenty of time to rest, lets just hope the injury doesnt linger around.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,231 Posts
I know we'll need Z against a team like Miami or Detroit. But we're reaaaally ****ing good with Anderson playing big minutes. With Hughes/Flip/Anderson/Lebron--we've got four ball hawks. And it means five guys on the floor who can run.

Plus, Alan Henderson is no slouch, and when given minutes he is adequate off the bench, if Andy is in foul trouble.

Z is a luxury. We can win without him if we have Hughes. It changes the complexion of the team, and I think frankly, should scare more teams.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
futuristxen said:
I know we'll need Z against a team like Miami or Detroit. But we're reaaaally ****ing good with Anderson playing big minutes. With Hughes/Flip/Anderson/Lebron--we've got four ball hawks. And it means five guys on the floor who can run.

Plus, Alan Henderson is no slouch, and when given minutes he is adequate off the bench, if Andy is in foul trouble.

Z is a luxury. We can win without him if we have Hughes. It changes the complexion of the team, and I think frankly, should scare more teams.
Yes, yes, and yes.

We're really good with Andy playing big minutes, but only against relatively short teams. Against the Suns, for example, I think we matchup even better with a lineup of Bronny (lol) , Hughes, Gooden, AV and Damon Jones at the point.

AH is a solid player. Him not having a scorer's mentality shouldn't be a knock on him, or any such player. He can fill Z or AV/Gooden's shoes pretty nicely. Most important is that he isn't turnover prone, which is going to be crucial in the playoffs. Solid defense, positive attitude, no TOs is all you can ask from him. (and that's already a lot!)

Z IS a luxury indeed. Him, Bron and Hughes should scare teams. We already know Lebron and Z have a special relationship, but Bron and LH also play well together...even with Larry injured at the start of the season. Remember, we were 18-10 when he went down...and he was playing hurt. I think we can expect great things to come...I hope! :meditate:

On a side note, Marshall isn't getting it done. He's the ONLY player I'd consider trading this offseason. I think the group of guys we have now should continue to be the core of the franchise. It's only the first season of everyone being together, and next year will be even better. Stick with it, and good things will come.

Damon Jones is a great shooter, MUCH better than Marshall IMO. With Lebron being able to hit big shots, as well as Damon Jones and (recently) Flip, the only time D Marsh's presence is a + is when him and DJ spot up being the arc. The 0/8s need to stop! In the playoffs, all these misses would come and bit us in the arse.

IMO: trade Marshall for a solid PG a la Earl Watson, and play a rotation of AV/Gooden/Henderson.

OR

Trade Marshall for a pick

By the way, does anyone know if we could use Marshall and our pick to acquire an upper echelon lottery pick?

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,231 Posts
I doubt there's a huge market for Marshall coming off the worst year of his career. You'd probably have to toss him in a Drew Gooden deal just to get him taken at this point. I could see a team like the Spurs interested in him though. He's kind of like Horry.

I wonder if Marshall could get us Beno Udrih and Oberto or the rights to Scola? Presumably Danny would be on good terms with the Spurs. I don't know whether that hurts or helps us.

Or what about Marshall for Speedy Claxton straight up?

·
15 STRONG
27,437 Posts
futuristxen said:

The Cavs without Z move below every East playoff team besides Philly/Chicago, and maybe Milwaukee. I don't see how a team without a real starting center scares someone....even with Hughes back....that's a huge hit for a team like the Cavs. You're better without Hughes than you are without Z.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Speedy Claxton is a good back up PG, but not what I'd think of a suitable starting PG for our team.

Now Beno is a different story, I think he's got the talent to be starting, but what I think we need is younger Eric Snow type PG. I mean, Snow is the "type" of baller we need, but he's too old at this point to be an true asset.

I was thinking, since Sarunas Jasikevicius isn't happy in Indy, do you think we could work out a deal for him?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Shaq_Diesel said:
You're better without Hughes than you are without Z.
I agree in a way, but we have not yet experimented playing with AV/Gooden for several games in a row to be 100% sure of that. AV/Gooden did a fantastic job yesterday.

But, as of *now*, yes I'd be less worried about making a playoff run without Larry than without Z.
When given the chance, AV has shown great things,and brown seems more and more willing to give him 20+ minutes a game.

2,289 Posts
futuristxen said:
When it comes to playoff time every possession is valuable. Teams slow down the game and bang it inside. We wont be able to run like we just did against the 76ers, they are just that bad. In the playoffs Z is more important than Hughes because we go too him to start out every game and will look to him for experience and size when the game slows down.

·
Registered
303 Posts
lj4mvp said:
Z is going to be fine - he walked off the court and into the locker room with no help, xrays and MRI were both negative.
With a player like Z who has the background of foot injuries. I won't feel confident in him being 100% until we see him on the floor playing his normal minutes, hopefully he recovers quickly.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I think the cavs will suprise us tonight vs the knicks, I'm predicting 100+ points with lebron having 40+ ( as usual ) larry with about 20 and AV with around a 15/15 game. Belive it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.