Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 40 of 175 Posts

·
Premium Member
100,006 Posts
He's not 6'3, but man is he a fun player to watch and a great college player. He's not going to be a starter in the NBA, but he has to stick around with the way he can shoot the ball.

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
I think he could start next to a dynamic shooting guard. I think Portland would be a good situation for him.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
I wouldn't mind the Pistons picking him up in the future to come off the bench and provide energy minutes, or possibly be a RIP Hamilton type player.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Should he declare for the draft this year?

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
Curry isn't a point guard.Richards is the point guard and he's a really good college point.Curry may be able to play the point,but noone has seen enough of him with the ball to evaluate him.

He's going to have problems in the NBA if he can't learn to play the point or unless he can end up somewhere with a combo guard/point who can guard the opposing two.I'm on the fence with him.He obviously has plenty of talent and he's going to be able to play in the NBA,but it's a huge question as to whether or not he can be more than a sixth man.

The comparison for him is probably Ben Gordon,only we don't know if he has the handles to be a better point guard.If he can play the point that's huge for him.If he can't then he's going to have big time matchup problems in the NBA.Now if he went to Cleveland that'd be an entirely different story.If you have Lebron to do the creating and let him spot up he can play the point 36 minutes a night.If he goes somewhere where he'd have to be the creator then what's he going to give you outside of shooting.He's got to put on muscle and learn to contribute in other ways IMO.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
How many ****ing point guards does Portland need? Don't they already have five with the draft rights to about eight more?
Jack's out after this year. Sergio may be gone too. Blake will probably be around for another year or two at least. They're looking for someone who fits well next to Roy. Someone who can guard PGs, but play like an SG on offense. None of the players above can do both of those overwhelmingly well, so that's what they're looking for at this point. Also have the rights to Petteri Koponen, but who knows how good/bad he really is.

To un-hijack the thread...I think Curry could be a serviceable backup in the league. His downfall I think is that he's not an athletic freak like a lot of guys in the NBA. He's still finding ways to get it done in college, but it'll be a lot harder in the pros. See Morrison, Adam. I think Salim Stoudamire/JJ Reddick role at least for him in the NBA.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
He needs to get in the weight room. Like what happened to Redick, no one is setting 5-6 screens a possession for a backup point guard to get a decent look. They don't do it for Damon Jones, they won't do it for Curry.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
He should absolutely jump this year; there's about zero chance his stock gets any hotter than it is now. I'll believe the 6'3 talk when he actually measures it.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
I heard Pat Forde claim that he's already said he's staying for his junior year so that he can play the point next year.I have no idea if that's true or now.Haven't seen it written anywhere.

Long term that's a great move for him if he can learn the point and become a legit prospect to handle and distribute in the NBA.Short term he's not going to go much higher than he would right now unless there's a much thinner talent pool next year.

·
Administrator
26,979 Posts
Jack's out after this year. Sergio may be gone too. Blake will probably be around for another year or two at least. They're looking for someone who fits well next to Roy. Someone who can guard PGs, but play like an SG on offense. None of the players above can do both of those overwhelmingly well, so that's what they're looking for at this point. Also have the rights to Petteri Koponen, but who knows how good/bad he really is.
Are they really going to let JJ walk and not re-sign him?

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
I heard Pat Forde claim that he's already said he's staying for his junior year so that he can play the point next year.I have no idea if that's true or now.Haven't seen it written anywhere.

Long term that's a great move for him if he can learn the point and become a legit prospect to handle and distribute in the NBA.Short term he's not going to go much higher than he would right now unless there's a much thinner talent pool next year.
The move could hurt him though. What if his numbers see a big decrease and he is a worse player at the PG spot? Thats a double edged sword.

·
Registered
698 Posts
The move could hurt him though. What if his numbers see a big decrease and he is a worse player at the PG spot? Thats a double edged sword.
I think scouts have already seen his handle he dribbles it dangerously high. It can't hurt him because I think he will have a successful NBA career. Better to wait and stick in the NBA than jump in early and fall out. The only people who can get "hurt" by staying in school are cases like Julius Hodge where people think they can do things they can't as an underclassman. Right now everyone knows if you pick Curry you're just getting a shooter. 2 more years developing skills would be very good for him, and with his dad I'm sure money isn't a big issue.

I have high hopes with this kid he is very scrawny that may get fixed a little as he just had a growth spurt when he stops growing he will fill out. If he can improve his handle he will be a very good prospect

·
Registered
543 Posts
i understand why most of you have such low expectations for him. 1st off, he's small, but he is still a young kid, dont see any reason why he can't grow to be 6'4 maybe even 6'5. he's not just a shooter either, he scores from anywhere. yeah, its more then likely he will be a bench player like House or Stoudomire, but one players noone compares him to is Iverson. why not? he may not be as tough, but he can stay on the outside more cause he can shoot better.

·
Premium Member
69,618 Posts
I actually compared him to Monta Ellis in another thread, without the leaping ability that is

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
I actually compared him to Monta Ellis in another thread, without the leaping ability that is
In size, yes, but he's kind of an inverse of Monta in terms of offensive production. Ellis is mainly a slasher, while Curry won't be anywhere near the basket in the NBA. Ellis still doesn't shoot wellfrom 3, either, while Curry is excellent.

21 - 40 of 175 Posts