21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Nice to see a full house.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Can't be provincial about Cooper Flagg. If you want to see him develop as much as possible, you have to root for him to go to a high-powered prep school program as soon as possible. He'll never be tested in Maine. He's far too good for the competition right now.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
It's now public knowledge so I can say something...the Flagg twins will be heading to Montverde Academy in Florida. As we all expected and anticipated, they will look to continue their growth at a school that has quite a history. Cade Cunningham, the #1 pick in the last NBA draft is an alum and seniors this year committed to Duke, Indiana, Memphis and they have 5 players selected for the Jordan Brand showcase to be held in Chicago. And Montverde also won the national title last year.

Montverde athletics

Reactions: UVM Hoop Cat

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
UM offered the Flagg twins & Estrella.....all are going prep and looking at high major hoops. This whole misguided dream that some Mainers have of building a program with Maine players is such a crock. Yeah....UM can build a D1 team with State O'Maine walk-ons.:rolleyes: Maybe some want UM to offer all of the D2 and D3 talent in the state?

I don't mean to rain on the Flagg family parade....we all knew this was their path. Good luck to them.....yes, it will be great to see Maine natives go "big time" although I really won't have much of a vested interest in looking up Montverde box scores.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
It's now public knowledge so I can say something...the Flagg twins will be heading to Montverde Academy in Florida. As we all expected and anticipated, they will look to continue their growth at a school that has quite a history. Cade Cunningham, the #1 pick in the last NBA draft is an alum and seniors this year committed to Duke, Indiana, Memphis and they have 5 players selected for the Jordan Brand showcase to be held in Chicago. And Montverde also won the national title last year.

Montverde athletics
I almost asked this question earlier this season, somewhat rhetorically, "How soon until they're off to private school?" Now we have the answer.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
I almost asked this question earlier this season, somewhat rhetorically, "How soon until they're off to private school?" Now we have the answer.
I think it was one of the worst kept "secrets". Had they not won the state championship, they may have stuck around for a 2nd season, but it had pretty much been the plan to go somewhere where they could really enhance their development.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
UM offered the Flagg twins & Estrella.....all are going prep and looking at high major hoops. This whole misguided dream that some Mainers have of building a program with Maine players is such a crock. Yeah....UM can build a D1 team with State O'Maine walk-ons.:rolleyes: Maybe some want UM to offer all of the D2 and D3 talent in the state?

I don't mean to rain on the Flagg family parade....we all knew this was their path. Good luck to them.....yes, it will be great to see Maine natives go "big time" although I really won't have much of a vested interest in looking up Montverde box scores.
Kids can play at 3 colleges now if they want, so never say never on a homecoming if things don't work out. Still a good idea ot always keep the lines of communication with those guys open, even if you know they're not going to come play for you. Any coach from a smaller state like Maine, or if you're from the same town as a big time player should be doing that anyway...just good business.

On the just taking in state Maine guys who are D2/D3...well that's what everyone thought of Nick Fiorillo, right? No he's not a world beater, but come on he's serviceable. If there's some transferrable skills, the line between D1 in the AE and D2/D3 is pretty thin. Making those types walk ons or end of bench development scholarship guys and being patient is another. That one in state kid a few years back...Moss? He had skills and talent that could have been honed into something good I thought...but, he probably just wanted to take 15-20 shots a game, and that's why he's playing where he's now playing.

I'm confident Markwood has a good eye anyway. Trae Bell-Haynes had one other American school watching him before UVM got to him I believe. He's a guy who had he not gotten the offer, maybe he gets a stateside prep post-grad year, but he could have just as easily ended up at a Canadian college. I believe Markwood was lead on Drew Urquhart too...he took some time but was a very solid player. Not to mention Northeastern and Maine were solid when he was around, so I think it's safe to say if he sees an in-state kid he and his staff like, there's potential there and not just a handout to keep in-staters happy.

·
Premium Member
34,235 Posts
Mom played D1 basketball so she's going to know how to navigate this stuff for her kids.

But, ultimately it just comes down to the fact that Cooper Flagg is the real deal- kid is a beast and incredibly talented. If he keeps ascending at his current pace you're talking Duke/Gonzaga/McDonald's game, etc. He's a 6"8" SG as a 9th grader.

·
Registered
150 Posts

Can't believe that I agree with the apple picker. I wrote, several weeks ago, that it was in Flagg's best interest to go prep where he'd be challenged. And, no, you absolutely cannot build a UMaine program with a majority of Maine players. Moss is a great example ... he left Maine because he wasn't good enough. No amount of "honing" would have helped.
Almost universally kids go to the highest level that recruits them. Ones that wind up at Maine have few other options. There is much work to be done at Maine before it escapes its status as one of the worst D1 programs nationally, and solutions don't seem quick in coming.

·
Premium Member
34,235 Posts
Cooper Flagg offered by UCLA tonight....

This follows a recent offer by Iowa....he will be able to name the program that he wants to play for.
Seriously?

I saw a Tweet the other day that Duke had Scheyer and it's entire staff watching him, Kentucky assistants, and Baylor HC Scott Drew + assistants were watching him. He's a 9th grader.

But yeah, this is someone that's tracking to be a McDonalds All-American, play anywhere type of prospect.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
There's no doubt. Pretty sure I had said as much a year or 2 ago. This kid is special.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
At this point Maine needs to be working to secure a date somewhere between 2025-2029 in Portland at their arena and whatever team Flagg ends up on. Or organize one of those MTEs in Portland with his team, another power opponent, and like a regional team maybe A10 and up that's cool with doing neutral site (and probably the deal is they'd play Maine, and the other P5 you get, where Maine plays Flagg's team and then Flagg's team and the other P5 play one another).

That or do a 2 or 3 for 1...I believe UNH got Florida to come play them in Durham because of Matt Bonner after playing down at Florida a few times.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Could be a good arena opener.
Depends on seating capacity of the new arena. Schools like Duke/UCLA, etc., command huge appearance fees to play at mid-majors in N-L games to show off a local player. If memory serves, Syracuse had an Albany-area player (Craig Forth) on the team, the starting center, during the time of Carmelo Anthony's one season. Syracuse, only about 140 miles away from Albany, agreed on a 4-for-1, with the one game in Albany at that city's 15,000-seat arena. Syracuse reaped a $200,000 (reported by local news outlets) guarantee to come to Albany to play the game. Tickets were vastly overpriced and only 8,200 attended. Albany barely broke even on the game.
If Duke, or some other ACC school eventually gets Flagg, the likelihood is that closest it will come to Maine will be games at Boston College.

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Cooper Flagg's Maine United played the Boozer twins yesterday....they got crushed 72-47. Here are the highlights....mostly just offensive highlights of the stars....

The redheaded kid for Maine is 6-7 Landon Clark of Bangor. He is a 2024 reclassifying as a 2025 assuming he is adding a year of prep. He is going to be a D1 talent in his own right....I actually think he is a more polished player offensively than Ace Flagg. If UMaine could round up all of the talent currently playing HS ball in the state....they would end up being a Top 25 team.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
The Michigan Wolverines are the latest to offer Flagg per twitter.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Cooper Flagg's Maine United played the Boozer twins yesterday....they got crushed 72-47. Here are the highlights....mostly just offensive highlights of the stars....

The redheaded kid for Maine is 6-7 Landon Clark of Bangor. He is a 2024 reclassifying as a 2025 assuming he is adding a year of prep. He is going to be a D1 talent in his own right....I actually think he is a more polished player offensively than Ace Flagg. If UMaine could round up all of the talent currently playing HS ball in the state....they would end up being a Top 25 team.
IF Maine could round up all of the talent currently playing HS (does that include prep schools, too?) in the state ... they would end up being a Top 25 team.
Yes, and if I won PowerBall this week, I'd be a millionaire.
Same chance of each happening.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts