Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The Harold Alfond Foundation's $90 million gift to UMaine Athletics will be distributed over the next 10 years, serving as a long-term investment in UMaine's student-athletes, staff, and community. It is the lead gift in a planned $110 million investment in athletic facilities on the Orono campus, all expected to be funded through private philanthropy.

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bangor might be the biggest loser in all of this. They're likely to lose their only major tenant, and in the end, they might lose the Tournament as well. The University has made it very clear that through this Alfond grant, they want them used widely by the campus community and the state. They want to host every regional and state championship they can. The University sees the value of bringing hundreds, if not thousands, of prospective students to campus any way they can. Not to mention, they'll probably give the MPA a better deal than what Spectra and the CIC has.

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Eh. It would hurt a bit, but it isn't like the big Class A or AA schools play at Bangor anymore. And the days of "Turn out the lights in Jonesport- the whole town is headed to the Auditorium" have passed as well. I guess I don't see this as a disaster in any way for Bangor.
It should be noted that the As might be back in Bangor if the proposed reclassification goes through. The CIC itself is a money pit, losing upwards of $4M a year. To lose nine full dates and around 40K people coming through the building is still a loss.

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
It's interesting that an aquatics center was not mentioned at all in the original master plan proposal. I just don't want to see the varsity sports that count.....basketball, hockey and football....get the shaft because the local community needs a public swimming pool. This is a once in a lifetime windfall and varsity facilities that bring in revenue and media coverage need as much of this $$$ as possible to bring them up to snuff.

I do think that it's a good move to build a new track on the other side of campus.....that truly gets a lot of university and community use. And Alfond Stadium gets to become a real football facility.
The new track is likely to be on the other side of the field hockey field beyond the right field wall of Mahaney.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts