Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

201 - 214 of 214 Posts

·
Comrade Fox
2,054 Posts
Woodcroft working the transfer portal, per Mike McMahon UVM's snagged 3 defenders via the portal: Lake Superior State's William Riedell, RPI's Cory Babichuk, and Cornell's Joe Leahy.

RPI and Cornell both sat out the season so I have no word on their 2020-21 seasons, but Riedell was on Lake State's top pairing and that team made the NCAAs for the first time in 25 years.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts

The "staff's choice" line is funny for the seniors...since like, truly none of them could have come back if they'd wanted given what is coming in via freshman class alone. The "not retained" in the second tweet mentions 6 underclassmen, but I think there's publicly only been 4 known? Boyko, Kaplan, Stalberg, Burns. The math could be wrong on Kramsky, or my end if I missed someone. Also, whether or not they were run off (plausible), but like I do think some of these guys saw the writing on the wall they'd never get a chance to play too and wanted to leave on their own.

·
Comrade Fox
2,054 Posts

The "staff's choice" line is funny for the seniors...since like, truly none of them could have come back if they'd wanted given what is coming in via freshman class alone. The "not retained" in the second tweet mentions 6 underclassmen, but I think there's publicly only been 4 known? Boyko, Kaplan, Stalberg, Burns. The math could be wrong on Kramsky, or my end if I missed someone. Also, whether or not they were run off (plausible), but like I do think some of these guys saw the writing on the wall they'd never get a chance to play too and wanted to leave on their own.
My thought on his math is it includes Conner Hutchison, who left midseason, and Phip Waugh, who was supposed to join the team this season but still had junior eligibility and was sent back semi-last second.

·
Comrade Fox
2,054 Posts
Woodcroft working the transfer portal, per Mike McMahon UVM's snagged 3 defenders via the portal: Lake Superior State's William Riedell, RPI's Cory Babichuk, and Cornell's Joe Leahy.

RPI and Cornell both sat out the season so I have no word on their 2020-21 seasons, but Riedell was on Lake State's top pairing and that team made the NCAAs for the first time in 25 years.
So, Riedell's not actually coming - literally two weeks after he was reported to be coming here, he has instead flipped to Ohio State. So that's unfortunate.

As for other news, it's quiet on that front, so here's some video of incoming freshman Jesper Tarkiainen:

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
As I understand it, people believe the incoming player from Kazakhstan could be a major impact guy and that he was quite the find.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
New transfer, Robbie Stucker a defenseman from the University of Minnesota. Looks like one, maybe 2 years left. 7th round pick of the Blue Jackets in 2017. 16 points in three seasons. Gives the blueline some help and experience. I think it's ~13 newcomers via freshman and transfers next year. The draft pick stuff is meaningless usually but I think next year they'll have tripled or quadrupled the number of picks on the roster with two incomings in Stucker and Walther, plus Dovar Tinling will get taken at some point, maybe another incoming does too.

·
Comrade Fox
2,054 Posts
New transfer, Robbie Stucker a defenseman from the University of Minnesota. Looks like one, maybe 2 years left. 7th round pick of the Blue Jackets in 2017. 16 points in three seasons. Gives the blueline some help and experience. I think it's ~13 newcomers via freshman and transfers next year. The draft pick stuff is meaningless usually but I think next year they'll have tripled or quadrupled the number of picks on the roster with two incomings in Stucker and Walther, plus Dovar Tinling will get taken at some point, maybe another incoming does too.

Transfers: Lagunov, Leahy, Babichuk, Stucker
Newcomers (my guess): Hudson, Finlay, Buyalsky, Mountain, Schachle, Tarkiainen, Jellúš, Määttä, and Walther

yeah that's 13. Drastically new team but we sorta expected that, this program needed to just hit the reset button. Also interesting that we basically reset our recruiting, because less than half of Sneddon's recruits that were verbally committed still are, per the Heisenberg list (6 of 14 of them are still shown as committed).

Honestly giving an underclassman the C looks like a better decision every day, at the very least there's some stability in the leadership core when the rest of the team is having such a major reshuffle.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Mark Stuart, the former NHLer who was a volunteer coach last year is probably headed to his alma mater Colorado College to join the coaching staff there...it was a Buccigross tweet that was deleted, but I'd generally believe it: BHN Daily: Former Boston Bruins D-Man Stuart Joining Coaching Ranks

However, if he likes VT I have heard there is a possibility of staff reshuffling so it's an option he could stay and take a paid role at UVM? We'll see.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
A few days late, but Stef Lekkas wins the "Right Place, Right Time" award as he got picked up as a back-up by the Buffalo Sabres for the remainder of the regular season (a total of 4 games).

I don't follow the NHL closely, but apparently in addition to being the league's worst team the Sabres have gone through goalies like Spinal Tap drummers: they've started 6 different netminders, 4 have been lost to injury and one was traded back in March. That's a lot for a 56-game season. So he's gone from Fort Wayne in the ECHL, to a brief stop in Rochester in the AHL, to Buffalo in one season.

I had a boss who used to say "The best ability is availability." Seems to apply here.

201 - 214 of 214 Posts